HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC
Yes, I know, go see a doctor... I will.. but I just wanted some people's advice or personal experience with it.

I've got pretty severe acne, and other meds haven't worked well. I don't have depression or any other serious mental disorders. I don't have any physical disorders or illnesses that would be complicated by potential side effects. Overall it seems like a very effective drug. The side effects sound a bit scary, but I'm wondering how much of that is just to clear them of liability. I know even common stuff like Tylenol can have adverse effects.

I'm obviously going to talk to my doctor about it, but has anyone here ever taken it?

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-05-30 12:18:05)

SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6646|Amsterdam, NY

HurricaИe wrote:

Yes, I know, go see a doctor... I will.. but I just wanted some people's advice or personal experience with it.

I've got pretty severe acne, and other meds haven't worked well. I don't have depression or any other serious mental disorders. I don't have any physical disorders or illnesses that would be complicated by potential side effects. Overall it seems like a very effective drug. The side effects sound a bit scary, but I'm wondering how much of that is just to clear them of liability. I know even common stuff like Tylenol can have adverse effects.

I'm obviously going to talk to my doctor about it, but has anyone here ever taken it?
what are the side effects?
Brasso
+1,549|6639

nope, duac topical gel + retin-amicro is working well for me.  it does take time you know.  they told me id see results in about 6 weeks but it took like 6 months.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
cablecopulate
+449|6746|Massachusetts.
Pimple Popper, MD!
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6320

I just let mine clear up by itself. I get a few zits during the school year from stress, but during the summer I'm acne free. Put up with it for now and it'll disappear later.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC
@Haffey I know it takes a while.

@ebug9 I've had severe acne since I was 13 (nearly 17 now) and I've used all sorts of different treatments.

SgtSlutter wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

what are the side effects?
The rarest (and arguably the most severe) are depression, thoughts of suicide, and other strange shit like blurry vision or psychosis. According to Wiki there have only been about 400 cases of such mental issues in the past 20-ish years... I imagine a hell of a lot more people have taken it. Again, I think a lot of it is just to make sure the pharmaceuticals can say "I warned you" in case you actually do get these effects.

The milder and more common ones are dry lips and photosensitivity.
icecold2510
+31|6302
I take it and it's great.

I do recommend it.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

HurricaИe wrote:

I've got pretty severe acne
Actually, you have to go see a doctor first. Why? Because it's such a controlled drug that only a dermatologist has the power to prescribe it, and even then they are weary of prescribing it to anyone who doesn't have SEVERE acne. Emphasis severe.

From the pictures I have seen of you, you have barely any acne. I don't see something that holds any validity when a dermatologist sees you about it.

It works wonders; true - but it also cause serious dryness. It also isn't good for anyone who doesn't have real bad acne because the likelyhood is it will cause severe skin aging and wrinkles at earlier ages.

I only recommend it if you there is really no other solution ( some acne wont go away after teenage years easily, so that is where roaccutane comes in ). If you can wait it out, then do.

Also, it's a VERY bad time to take it. Why? Because of the sun. You can't go out into it. Your skin will get destroyed.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6576|Mountains of NC

ever tried this :

https://www.seenontvcanada.com/images/proactiv-prod.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
i g
Banned
+876|5872|GA

i've been using it since march. only side-effects are dry lips and inside of my nose. go for it.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=93865

Last edited by Eye-GiZzLe (2008-05-30 13:02:58)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC

Zimmer wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

I've got pretty severe acne
Actually, you have to go see a doctor first. Why? Because it's such a controlled drug that only a dermatologist has the power to prescribe it, and even then they are weary of prescribing it to anyone who doesn't have SEVERE acne. Emphasis severe.

From the pictures I have seen of you, you have barely any acne. I don't see something that holds any validity when a dermatologist sees you about it.

It works wonders; true - but it also cause serious dryness. It also isn't good for anyone who doesn't have real bad acne because the likelyhood is it will cause severe skin aging and wrinkles at earlier ages.

I only recommend it if you there is really no other solution ( some acne wont go away after teenage years easily, so that is where roaccutane comes in ). If you can wait it out, then do.

Also, it's a VERY bad time to take it. Why? Because of the sun. You can't go out into it. Your skin will get destroyed.
The majority of my acne is on my back. My face is pretty good. But it's like pepperoni pizza on my back. And yeah I know I have to see a doctor first. I'm just wondering if I should even bother looking into it.

SERE no I haven't. I can't imagine an over-the-counter being more effective than two prescription creams and an antibiotic.

Also what I find interesting is that it doesn't carry a black box warning.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-05-30 13:05:57)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Then leave it. It isn't serious enough to care about. If your face is fine, then just let it be. You seriously don't want your face to be crumbling and your lips to be numb. You should only go that far if the facial acne is bad, not your back.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6298|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

a bit too strong for my skin, but it might work for mr.super acne over there

Last edited by cowami (2008-05-30 13:09:47)

https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC

Zimmer wrote:

Then leave it. It isn't serious enough to care about. If your face is fine, then just let it be. You seriously don't want your face to be crumbling and your lips to be numb. You should only go that far if the facial acne is bad, not your back.
I was leaning to that... but it's really to the point where I don't like going to pool parties or to the beach because I don't like taking off my shirt. I figure I could just buck up and wait X years for it to go away naturally, but I don't want X to be a value greater than a few years.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6576|Mountains of NC

HurricaИe wrote:

The majority of my acne is on my back. My face is pretty good. But it's like pepperoni pizza on my back. And yeah I know I have to see a doctor first. I'm just wondering if I should even bother looking into it.

SERE no I haven't. I can't imagine an over-the-counter being more effective than two prescription creams and an antibiotic.

Also what I find interesting is that it doesn't carry a black box warning.
on your back ..... that sucks

when we hit the field for a week or 2, I would develop a bad case every time bc of wearing a flak jacket and humping a pack and not showering and scrubing

but after about 2 days back in the rear and with some hard scrubing and deep cleaning, it would clear ..... just to come back again once I hit the dirt

and I think proactive stuff can only be ordered, no over the counter stuff
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
i g
Banned
+876|5872|GA

Zimmer wrote:

my acne is only on the back/chest area too. the dryed lips aren't bad; just use some aquaphor lip medication that they give you. you'll be fine man; don't worry.
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6123|Tampa, Florida
Terrible product, that will give you results until later in your life acne will come rushing back.

@Hurri: I had problems with cysts and severe acne, I used tretinoin for about 2-3 months and you get bad dry skin and are more susceptible to sunburn etc. I wouldn't take this if it will cause you severe dryness, having your back and face destroyed even more isn't much of a solution.

Also can you give us a list of what treatments you've tried? Hydrogen peroxide 3 times a day cleared up my acne very quickly (2-3 weeks) and didn't dry my face out.
i g
Banned
+876|5872|GA

HurricaИe wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

I was leaning to that... but it's really to the point where I don't like going to pool parties or to the beach because I don't like taking off my shirt. I figure I could just buck up and wait X years for it to go away naturally, but I don't want X to be a value greater than a few years.
dude i'm 22. i had the same mindset as you. just wait until it goes away...it never did. take the shit and thank me in 6 months.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC
Yeah SERE I think you can only order it online. But I don't think you need a prescription for it.

@Gorilla: This one cream (Clindamycin I think?) in the morning along with a time-release pill (I think it's some sort of minocycline). I also use a shower cream in the morning. At night I use Differin.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-05-30 13:13:37)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

HurricaИe wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

At your age, you certainly don't want your face flaking off, or your lips turning into warzones. It may just be a 6 month course ( sometimes more, but doubtful ) but the Roaccutane stays in your system for another 6 months, sometimes more - sometimes it may get to the point that when you sweat, it itches or hurts because of the dryness. Maybe I was a bad case and maybe I exaggerate it because I can't really remember, but for your back I honestly don't think it's worth it.

If you took roaccutane now, you would be wearing 4 t-shirts instead of 1 because you would have to block off the sun. Forget pool parties and beaches; there is no way the dermatologist will even allow you to go near them, and trust me, it's for a damn good reason.

You can sacrifice your back and some of your "pride" ( I don't know what else to call it right now ) for having spots on your back. I don't think you want to go to the next level.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC
why the fuck can't they just make a pill that kills acne with no possible severe side effects? One part of me wants to just kill off those stupid red things once and for all, and the other part doesn't want to carry the risks. It seems like treating cancer carries less risks than treating fucking acne.
i g
Banned
+876|5872|GA

HurricaИe wrote:

why the fuck can't they just make a pill that kills acne with no possible severe side effects? One part of me wants to just kill off those stupid red things once and for all, and the other part doesn't want to carry the risks. It seems like treating cancer carries less risks than treating fucking acne.
READ MY POSTS!!!

if you're not a pussy, you'll be fine.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6508|so randum
FatherTeds simple advice - Sunbathe.

I found going on holiday lots and so on, and getting a tan perhaps really really cleared my skin up - And it used to be pretty shit.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC

Eye-GiZzLe wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

READ MY POSTS!!!

if you're not a pussy, you'll be fine.
calm down iggy piggy

I'm gonna mull over it. Talk to my doctor about it.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Calm down ig. Seriously. It's up to him. You gave him one perspective, I gave him the other. I am sure he has read both and is thinking about what he should do.

It's not a question about being a pussy or not, roaccutane reacts differently with different people. Granted, it always works miracles in the end, but the road to that end can either be smooth or bumpy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard