Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6457|Boulder, CO
To put it plainly I have two AS biology exams next tuesday that I need to do well in to pass. Unfortunately i know the second module reasonably well but the first I just can't seem to revember for the life of me. I am currently on a half term before this my last exam and so far I've been using a website that has pretty much the entire course on it. I've found that just reading it in very very dull and I don't seem to pick anything up from it.

So I ask you what do or did you find to be the best revision method, and yes I do know that everyone learns best through different methods but I still would like to know.

I anticipate alot of useful responses and a load of weird as hell and useless ones too.
kptk92
u
+972|6418|tc_london
I can't revise for shit there is always something in the background that distracts me
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

kptk92 wrote:

I can't revise for shit there is always something in the background that distracts me
Same, and I've got an exam in a week . God I hate exams, more luck than what you actually remember.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6457|Boulder, CO
Well I'm in the same boat as you two really, I can never really revise and unfortunately the sum total of what I can remember for module one is  sod all, so i'm pretty screwed it seems.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Noobeater wrote:

Well I'm in the same boat as you two really, I can never really revise and unfortunately the sum total of what I can remember for module one is  sod all, so i'm pretty screwed it seems.
Big prob for me is that if I don't pass these A2's, I'd have to retake the entire year to resist em. Man I'd much rather concentrate on writing my book than trying to think what I'm going to do, I've got two University placements, just need the grades for them. But then I still don't really know if I want to go to University or not, let alone what I'd plan to do after.
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6391|Bromley, London

IMO what you get out of exams is purely from what you put into it. If you the time in to learn it all then you will get a good grade. If you learn parts then it is down to luck.

What I do is I print out the syllabus for the exam from the exam board and go through every point making notes, and highlighting key words or put them in different colours. Yes this is long but it works.

Then after I have done that I get my hands on every past paper there is. Do them one at a time. Mark them in a different colour and also write down corrections, not just read them! Then a couple of days before my exam I would go through all my past papers and write out stuff I got wrong. And learn the corrections.

But as you have a week left I would just say do past papers and mark them, you will not get any miracles in a week. Do not come out expecting an A or something.

Lastly if you do any science A levels and the exam baord is OCR. Use this website it is amazing! http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/

Last edited by teek22 (2008-05-27 09:09:15)

SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5984|England

just read through your notes 30 mins beforehand

its pointless revising or doing stupid mock questions days before the test

it just annoys you
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6457|Boulder, CO

M.O.A.B wrote:

Noobeater wrote:

Big prob for me is that if I don't pass these A2's, I'd have to retake the entire year to resist em. Man I'd much rather concentrate on writing my book than trying to think what I'm going to do, I've got two University placements, just need the grades for them. But then I still don't really know if I want to go to University or not, let alone what I'd plan to do after.
Well the degree i plan to do in uni requires a science to get into it (looking at doing earth science) and biology is the only science i actually do so i need to pass it at AS so i can carry on with it to A2 then get a B in it then to get into the uni's that do earth science.
Jackabo
+127|6568|Dublin, Ireland
I'd rather have the time of my life as a teenager and not study for exams than have a good adulthood, tbh being an adult sucks either way so sux2b over 30
teek22

SamTheMan:D wrote:

just read through your notes 30 mins beforehand

its pointless revising or doing stupid mock questions days before the test

it just annoys you
LIES.
Learning in advance is the only way you have any chance of knowing it all.

Unless what you meant was that they have left it too late to stand any chance, then I agree with you.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6457|Boulder, CO

teek22 wrote:

IMO what you get out of exams is purely from what you put into it. If you the time in to learn it all then you will get a good grade. If you learn parts then it is down to luck.

What I do is I print out the syllabus for the exam from the exam board and go through every point making notes, and highlighting key words or put them in different colours. Yes this is long but it works.

Then after I have done that I get my hands on every past paper there is. Do them one at a time. Mark them in a different colour and also write down corrections, not just read them! Then a couple of days before my exam I would go through all my past papers and write out stuff I got wrong. And learn the corrections.

But as you have a week left I would just say do past papers and mark them, you will not get any miracles in a week. Do not come out expecting an A or something.

Lastly if you do any science A levels and the exam baord is OCR. Use this website it is amazing! http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/
Nice advice, at the moment the site i'm using is http://www.biologyguide.net/ which has both AS and A2, i'm doing modules 1 and 3.

I've also got the past papers from the exam board (AQA) but  i don't tend to learn that much from them though i shall try them. Can't print em all of as it'd take to much ink tbh.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

teek22 wrote:

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. A week is a very long time, especially for one exam, and especially when it's an A-level. A week can work miracles, especially if you follow your rules. You can do all that in a week, no problem.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland
Everyone's method is different. I remember things really easy - I wrote down everything I needed to know for History, which is a lot (Germany from ~1919-1941) and learnt it within about half an hour. I just cover it up, repeat it a few times, move on to the next, repeat both etc. Now I can recite to you all the dates I need to know, major events, what laws were passed etc...quite a lot for that time period, too.
teek22

Zimmer wrote:

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. A week is a very long time, especially for one exam, and especially when it's an A-level. A week can work miracles, especially if you follow your rules. You can do all that in a week, no problem.
It is doable, but requires you to pretty much work all day for it I think. And I think if people have left it to a week before the exam to start, I do not think they will put a lot of time into it.

Do not mean to sound rude to you guys, but that is just what I believe from seeing people in my school and friends trying to last minute cram everything in.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6473|Tyne & Wear, England
Cramming works well for me.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6358|Belfast
i write it down and before the exam i read over it

i dont really know if it works because i am only really trying it out next year
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6663
A vivid imagination and wanting to learn it helps so much. You might not like that second one, but remember: you have to study, so you have no choice. If you don't want to, then you might as well give up.

The vivid imagination thing is also vital too. If you just try to save the information by itself you will have very weak and unreliable memories of what you want to learn. Force yourself to imagine a story around everything you want you to remember. It depends on what you want to learn, but here's an example:
in Japanese language, there are three sets of characters: two phonetic ones (like our alphabet) and one set of characters that represent a word by themselves. I started off with learning the phonetic characters, purely by practicing them over and over. It took me a hell of a lot of effort to remember them. Then, I started the course for the other characters. They number in their thousands, and I thought it would be take years. However, the book I was using got me to imagine a vivid story for each character, and that story would stand out in my memory: as a result I've been able to learn hundreds of characters a week and remember them perfectly.
I've applied the same technique to everything I've had to learn since. Simply take whatever it is you have to learn and create a story around it.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.
Record everything onto a DVD and sit in your bath. Attach the dvd scart lead into the DVD and the other end into you ass. Then once your info is all on DVD drop it into your bath... Still plugged  in.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6575|England

For formulee:
- Write down all of them on a sheet of paper, look over them, get a new piece of paper and write the start of it (i.e. F = ), then take a guess (i.e. ma). Repeat for all formulee until you can recite all of them.

Then:
Practise examples, and repeat them (even if you get them right) so you get it hammered into your head.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland

Snake wrote:

For formulee:
- Write down all of them on a sheet of paper, look over them, get a new piece of paper and write the start of it (i.e. F = ), then take a guess (i.e. ma). Repeat for all formulee until you can recite all of them.

Then:
Practise examples, and repeat them (even if you get them right) so you get it hammered into your head.
This made me pass the Physics mock exam - good method. Quick, PE = MGH, KE = 1/2MV^2!
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6457|Boulder, CO
Well i printed of one past paper (not got the ink to print em all off) and made a list of all the topics that came up on it, they are

protein structure
enzymes
2 way chromatography
lymphocytes and granocytes
light and electron microscopes
measuring object size in microscopes
polymers
carbohydrates
food tests
starch
enzyme models
lung adaptations
red blood cells
diffusion
heart layout
cardiac cycle
tissues
osmosis
active transport
protein denaturation.

thats alot of stuff for one module.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6575|England

kylef wrote:

Snake wrote:

For formulee:

Then:
This made me pass the Physics mock exam - good method. Quick, PE = MGH, KE = 1/2MV^2!
Ditto! I can still remember F=GM1m2 / d^2 from 5 years ago

And the electrostatic force...but thats too much to put in text
Ultimatrox
+38|6243|Netherlands
everyone learns with different styles, for me putting it all in 3 hours in advance works very good for me, this way i'm getting A's and B's all year long..
other ppl need to learn 2 weeks in advance and still only get low grades, it just what suits you best.
VaLzbeStoNeD
+17|6146
I always learn this way: I gather up the books/notebooks/notes with the stuff I need to learn, go to bed, read it all and go to sleep. Works for me
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6457|Boulder, CO
Thats an unusual method, doubt it'd work for me tbh my memory seems to be like RAM as soon as the old cpu goes offline for the night its cleared.

Last edited by Noobeater (2008-05-27 10:51:38)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard