blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6705
here is the pic of how the space craft looks

https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/ABS_PC_1/EDL_landed.jpg
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6289|NSW, Australia

are we goign to be living on mars sometime soon?
Ninja_Kid2002
+119|6327|Floodsville, TN, (UK really)
What's that about River Phoenix?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6681|London, England
I watched it live on the NASA website
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5875|Fattest Country in the world.

Nappy wrote:

are we goign to be living on mars sometime soon?
Age old expression "Men are from mars, women are from Venus"...

As long as Mars has a pub, LAN centre, and a place to plug my PC / WiFi for my laptop and I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6661|132 and Bush

The most interesting aspect of the new pictures was how close they came to expectations in the polar region:
NASA’s Mars Phoenix Lander began sending photos of the planet’s surface on the first day of its three-month mission “to taste and sniff the northern polar site’s soil and ice,” the space agency said.

The first pictures, which the lander began taking shortly after touching down near Mars’ north pole — the end of a 422 million-mile trek — showed a pattern of brown polygons as far as the camera could see.

“It’s surprisingly close to what we expected and that’s what surprises me most,” said Peter Smith, the mission’s principal investigator. “I expected a bigger surprise.”
https://i32.tinypic.com/j7azqs.jpg
This gives a good look at the polygonal patterns that scientists expected to see. I’m curious to see what that vertical white spot is in the lower part of the upper right quadrant just below the horizon, though. It looks like a singular rock formation. I’ll bet that gets the attention of the project managers as well.
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6870|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

I’m curious to see what that vertical white spot is in the lower part of the upper right quadrant just below the horizon
Prolly the sun reflected off a can of Coca Cola left there by a NASA employee soon to get fired
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Looks more like a photographical anomaly or someshit

I watched a CG animation of the landing http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7399226.stm

The last stages look quite hard to pull off, I mean it's not really as soft as you'd think. Well done on pulling it off without breaking the thing.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-05-26 07:05:16)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6661|132 and Bush

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Who are you working for?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
*runs*
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6901|Cologne, Germany

well, if that's what the Mars looks like, I cannot imagine one reason why anyone would blow 310 million dollars to get a picture of it.
With all respect to NASA, one would think that there are more pressing issues in the US that could have benefitted from that money...

Congrats to NASA, taxpayer's money well spent, I'd say...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6661|132 and Bush

Congrats on failing to see the bigger picture.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6901|Cologne, Germany

Kmarion wrote:

was that directed at me ? What bigger picture are you talking about ? Knowing wether life once existed on Mars ?

You know, I'd take half of that money and live happily ever after, not giving a shit if there ever was life on Mars.
I just think that there is so much more that could be done here, for people that we know exist, and who need our support much more.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6661|132 and Bush

B.Schuss wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

was that directed at me ? What bigger picture are you talking about ? Knowing wether life once existed on Mars ?

You know, I'd take half of that money and live happily ever after, not giving a shit if there ever was life on Mars.
I just think that there is so much more that could be done here, for people that we know exist, and who need our support much more.
There is money to be made in space once we master interplanetary travel. Not too mention searching for habitable planets (some with water in this case) will be a necessity in the future. This type of technology takes decades to develop. Our entire species will be dependent on what we learn today and what path we took for survival. You aren't getting it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
+2,206|6870|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

There is money to be made in space once we master interplanetary travel. Not too mention searching for habitable planets (some with water in this case) will be a necessity in the future. This type of technology takes decades to develop. Our entire species will be dependent on what we learn today and what path we took for survival. You aren't getting it.
I'm not sure those below the poverty line quite understand that kind of reasoning ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6661|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

I'm not sure those below the poverty line quite understand that kind of reasoning ...
And so we should abandon our own survival instincts and human nature to explore while they catch up with the reasoning? The bleeding hearts will ensure certain extinction for us all. If Americans wanted to save their own they would stop sending billions in economic aide around the world. I'm sure those below the American poverty line don't understand that as well.

BTW, social programs (entitlements) like welfare and food stamps do not factor in to the poverty line. You could give a person a million dollars in welfare but they would still be below the poverty line.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AutralianChainsaw
+65|6258
I must agree with Kmarion here, Space exploration is important for humanity. That old rock we are sitting on will not last forever. Yes that money could help a lot of poor people in the short term but we have to make sacrifices to ensure our survival.

Congrats and thanks to America for taking the necessary steps for us all.
Varegg
+2,206|6870|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

And so we should abandon our own survival instincts and human nature to explore while they catch up with the reasoning? The bleeding hearts will ensure certain extinction for us all. If Americans wanted to save their own they would stop sending billions in economic aide around the world. I'm sure those below the American poverty line don't understand that as well.

BTW, social programs (entitlements) like welfare and food stamps do not factor in to the poverty line. You could give a person a million dollars in welfare but they would still be below the poverty line.
I know this is your special field of interest and i agree it is very interesting but you must understand also that the majority of the worlds population and i think most of the US population doesn't give a rats ass about the fact that their great great granchildren perhaps will live on Mars one day ... if at all ...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6767|67.222.138.85

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I know this is your special field of interest and i agree it is very interesting but you must understand also that the majority of the worlds population and i think most of the US population doesn't give a rats ass about the fact that their great great granchildren perhaps will live on Mars one day ... if at all ...
Because most humans are incredibly short-sighted beings that care more about what movie they are going to in two hours than the planet we are leaving our children in. Listening to and following the crowd of lemmings will lead you straight off a cliff.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6661|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I have political, economic, and sociological interest as well. None of them exclude the other. I give my opinion no matter where it ranks with you or your perceived idea of what the majority of the rest of the world thinks.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6465|North Carolina
I agree with Schuss on this one.  If NASA wants to take pictures of Mars, they can do it without tax money involved.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6767|67.222.138.85

Turquoise wrote:

I agree with Schuss on this one.  If NASA wants to take pictures of Mars, they can do it without tax money involved.
Because NASA should be run like a business, not like a research group.
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5875|Fattest Country in the world.

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I watched a CG animation of the landing http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7399226.stm

The last stages look quite hard to pull off, I mean it's not really as soft as you'd think. Well done on pulling it off without breaking the thing.
They broke the last one . Practice and $450,000,000m makes perfect.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard