Poll

Do you consider speeding to be reckless driving?

Yes55%55% - 52
No32%32% - 30
Not sure11%11% - 11
Total: 93
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6111|eXtreme to the maX
Here in Australia we have "suggestive speed limits" when it's raining... They aren't the law, but the are the safest speed for the conditions.
Not in South Aus, here we have minimum speeds, tailgating is mandatory and amphetamines make you a better driver.
Traffic signals.
Green = Go!
Amber = Go faster!
Red = You've still got time, go!
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5821|Fattest Country in the world.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Here in Australia we have "suggestive speed limits" when it's raining... They aren't the law, but the are the safest speed for the conditions.
Not in South Aus, here we have minimum speeds, tailgating is mandatory and amphetamines make you a better driver.
Traffic signals.
Green = Go!
Amber = Go faster!
Red = You've still got time, go!
Wait, that isn't the law? Knew I was doing something wrong!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6846|Cologne, Germany

absolutely. as has been said, the speed limits are there for a reason, and that is to give drivers enough time to react to a possibly dangerous situation. the faster you are, the less time you have for your reaction, resulting in a lot of accidents.

I believe in germany, speeding and insufficient distancing between cars are the two most important reasons for road accidents today.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England

B.Schuss wrote:

absolutely. as has been said, the speed limits are there for a reason, and that is to give drivers enough time to react to a possibly dangerous situation. the faster you are, the less time you have for your reaction, resulting in a lot of accidents.

I believe in germany, speeding and insufficient distancing between cars are the two most important reasons for road accidents today.
The only reason you say that is because Germany doesn't have speed limits on the Autobahns

Or is that just an Urban Legend?
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP

(NZ Anti Speeding Ad)

The Australian Anti-Speeding campaigns are pretty graphic.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6341|Oregon
A good friend of mine just got pulled over and given a 450 dollar ticket because she was going 99mph.
Ouch.

I do consider speeding reckless driving.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6748|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

Zombie_Affair wrote:

(NZ Anti Speeding Ad)

The Australian Anti-Speeding campaigns are pretty graphic.
we had 3 pedestrians killed on our roads last weekend..  our ads are pretty graphic as well

Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP

One of the graphic Aussie ones.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5833
There are worse (the newer ones).

SenorToenails wrote:

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

this is the fancy guide rule...

ever driven in a crowded city?
Yea, if you leave enough space as that rule says to, someone will merge into that space and eliminate your safety buffer.
At which point you slow down to get the buffer again.

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

At typical city speeds you don't need 2 seconds, you just need to be able to stop safely.
This 2 second thing is a red herring, only applies at 60mph in dry conditions AFAIK, in the wet you need 4 seconds etc.
Not in Vic.

Last edited by ZombieVampire! (2008-05-26 06:09:24)

theelviscerator
+19|6294
If I am doing it no.

If you are doing it..yes.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6846|Cologne, Germany

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

The only reason you say that is because Germany doesn't have speed limits on the Autobahns

actually, it is somewhat of an urban legend. There are speed limits on the majority of german autobahns. If I am informed correctly, only a small percentage of all autobahn kilometers are unrestricted today, because of safety concerns.

There are still areas where you can put the pedal to the metal, but they are far and few between. I must look the actual percentage up again.

edit: well, it's obviously not as worse asI thought. According to my source, 47% of all autobahn kilometers have speed restrictions. Looks like there is still enough room left for speeders to roam...
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6416|'Murka

autobahn rules.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP

B.Schuss wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

actually, it is somewhat of an urban legend. There are speed limits on the majority of german autobahns. If I am informed correctly, only a small percentage of all autobahn kilometers are unrestricted today, because of safety concerns.

There are still areas where you can put the pedal to the metal, but they are far and few between. I must look the actual percentage up again.

edit: well, it's obviously not as worse asI thought. According to my source, 47% of all autobahn kilometers have speed restrictions. Looks like there is still enough room left for speeders to roam...
Some vehicles are restricted to certain speeds on the Autobahns. Buses for example can only go 60KM/h with standing passengers, 80KM/h for vehicles with a Gross Weight Rating of 3.5 Tonnes etc, but the law varies slightly between Germany / Switzerland.
dan673
+46|5988

SenorToenails wrote:

dan673 wrote:

When I say responsible, I mean people with years and years of driving experience. These are people who know to check their blind spots constantly when merging and switching lanes erratically; people who can estimate with great accuracy how long it will take for the car on the left lane to catch up to the car in front of you on your lane, so you can determine whether you can speed up fast enough to get in front of that car on the left lane without smashing into the car in front of you; people who use their blinkers every single time when switching lanes. All of that, and more, while speeding. Now I hope you understand what I mean by "responsible" speeding.
What you just described here is reckless driving.  Erratic lane changes while having to worry if you can swap lanes and not get hit by the cars in either of them?  If you are cutting it as close as you suggest here, you are driving like an absolute asshat.
My point is that there is a difference between a skillful driver, and a reckless driver. And yes, they're are skillful drivers. I never said that person wouldn't be driving like an asshat, but what I tried to say is that they are committing themselves to safety, rather than doing none of those tings I mentioned.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6655

Without reading or addressing any points in this thread, I think it depends entirely where you are. On an empty/quiet motorway, you can perfectly safely travel at 250kph (155mph). However in housing estates and build up areas speeding is not a good idea.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6555|CH/BR - in UK

Define speeding...
5 over isn't speeding for me unless it's a 5-20mph zone

-konfusion
Raga86
+6|6491
I searched around a bit and came across some very interesting articles... To cite the introduction to "Examining the self-enhancement bias: professional truck drivers’ perceptions of speed, safety, skill and consideration" by  D. Walton

"When the public are asked to choose factors that can make roads unsafe, they consistently identify as the main factor, ‘poor driving skills and attitudes’, and as the secondary contributing factor, ‘speeding’ (LTSA, 1997a). Human factors are estimated to contribute to 80±95% of accidents (Lewin, 1982) and ‘travelling too fast for the conditions’ is the leading factor in motor vehicle fatalities (LTSA, 1997a). Despite this public awareness, people overestimate the number of accidents that occur on the road (Slovic, Fischho€ & Lichtenstein, 1982). Paradoxically, drivers overestimate their skill and safety compared to others (Svenson, 1981), and regard the average person as more likely to be involved in an accident (Guerin, 1994; Matthews & Moran, 1986). Theparadox, to make the point clear, is that the public on the one hand, think ‘the roads are dangerous’;and on the other, think themselves safer, more skillful and less likely to have an accident than others."

And then, although old, I find this very funny... From "ARE WE ALL LESS RISKY AND MORE SKILLFUL THAN OUR FELLOW DRIVERS?" by Ola Svensson.

"Results

The distributions of the judgments are shown in table 1 for the two groups and the two questions respectively. The table shows that most of the Ss in the group viewed themselves as safer and more skillful drivers than the rest of the group. The medians for the distributions of safety judgments in table 1 fall in the interval 8 l-90% for the US group and between 7 1 and 80% for the Swedish group. This indicates that half of the Ss believe themselves to be among the safest 20 (US) or 30 (Sweden) percent of the drivers in the two groups respectively. In the US group 88% and in the Swedish group 77% believed themselves to be safer than the median driver.

The medians for the distributions of skill judgments fall in the interval 61-70% for the US group and between 51-60% for the Swedish group. Of the US sample 46.3% regard themselves among the most skillful 20%. The corresponding number in the Swedish group was only 15.5%. In the US sample 93% believed themselves to be more skillful drivers than the median driver and 69% of the Swedish drivers shared this belief in relation to their comparison group.

In summary, there was a strong tendency to believe oneself as safer and more skillful than the average driver. In addition, there seemed to be a stronger tendency to believe oneself as safer than and more skillful than the average person."

As I said, a bit old but still worth to notice IMO...
Jrdeacs
+22|5904

FEOS wrote:

Speeding may be against the law, but it isn't always reckless. It's a matter of degrees and conditions at the time (eg, weather).
I agree with you totaly :]
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6711

dan673 wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

law is the law
I'm saying if you need to get to work, and you have a major presentation to make, which would define you keep/losing your job, and you needed to speed, would you consider yourself to be driving recklessly because your speeding, or not recklessly because you have a matter that requires you to speed.
You may be able to justify it to yourself, but that doesn't make it legal.
PureFodder
+225|6291
What do people make of the fact that your car's speedometer is desinged to give the wrong speed.

It's illegal in most countries to make a speedometer that shows a lower speed than the actual speed. As production leads to a tollerance range and things like trye wear can effect the reading, speedometers are typically made to show your speed as  5-8% higher than it is. If you ever drive with a satnav it's very obvious that the speerometer is wrong.

Chances are that if you do 80 mph on the speedometer in a 70 zone you won't even be breaking the law once you factor in the few percent above the limit that you're allowed.
dan673
+46|5988

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

dan673 wrote:

law is the law
I'm saying if you need to get to work, and you have a major presentation to make, which would define you keep/losing your job, and you needed to speed, would you consider yourself to be driving recklessly because your speeding, or not recklessly because you have a matter that requires you to speed.
You may be able to justify it to yourself, but that doesn't make it legal.
Not was I was asking him.
The#1Spot
+105|6545|byah

I think breaking the law is reckless.
Tell that to the law enforcers (cops) who also break the law. They like most people would give you a quick smirk and be on their way.
dan673
+46|5988

The#1Spot wrote:

I think breaking the law is reckless.
Tell that to the law enforcers (cops) who also break the law. They like most people would give you a quick smirk and be on their way.
Interesting you say that, because every time I drive on the highway, a cop is doing 90-95 on the left lane.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6135|North Tonawanda, NY

dan673 wrote:

My point is that there is a difference between a skillful driver, and a reckless driver. And yes, they're are skillful drivers. I never said that person wouldn't be driving like an asshat, but what I tried to say is that they are committing themselves to safety, rather than doing none of those tings I mentioned.
I will agree to that in a very limited extent.  My cause for concern is that the skilled driver pulling those moves cannot assume that the other cars on the road will not do something erratic, especially when they are cutting things close.  The safety guidelines for driving exist for a reason, and it is to account for people of all skill levels driving on the same roads.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6135|North Tonawanda, NY

ZombieVampire! wrote:

At which point you slow down to get the buffer again.
Then you can become a road hazard to everyone traveling the speed limit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard