Poll

Do you consider speeding to be reckless driving?

Yes55%55% - 52
No32%32% - 30
Not sure11%11% - 11
Total: 93
dan673
+46|5978
I was thinking about this the other day, so I ask, if you speed, do you consider yourself to be driving recklessly? When I mean speed, I mean going around 85-90mph in a 65mph zone, or going 50 in a 40 and what not. Many times, it is responsible people who need to speed if they are in a rush, but then again you always have some teenagers going it at just for fun.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Depends on a lot of things.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6339|tropical regions of london
yes
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
I voted yes, but it's a conditional thing.  There are certain areas that set speed limits way too low, and there are others that are more reasonable.  I think it depends on both the area and the speed you're going.
God Save the Queen
Banned
law is the law
Turquoise
O Canada
Well yeah, but he was asking for our opinions, not the legal definition of reckless.
God Save the Queen
Banned
I think breaking the law is reckless.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6406|'Murka

Speeding may be against the law, but it isn't always reckless. It's a matter of degrees and conditions at the time (eg, weather).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada
What if the law is kind of silly.  Like, what if a perfectly straight road on flat land without much around still has a speed limit of 45?  Seems a bit slow, right?
God Save the Queen
Banned
laws are put there for a purpose.  we cant decide which ones we follow and which ones we dont.
dan673
+46|5978

God Save the Queen wrote:

law is the law
I'm saying if you need to get to work, and you have a major presentation to make, which would define you keep/losing your job, and you needed to speed, would you consider yourself to be driving recklessly because your speeding, or not recklessly because you have a matter that requires you to speed.
Turquoise
O Canada

laws are put there for a purpose.  we cant decide which ones we follow and which ones we dont.
We can, but we risk certain consequences.
God Save the Queen
Banned

Turquoise wrote:

then let me rephrase.  we SHOULD NOT decide which laws we follow and which laws we do not.  How does that make a person any different than a common criminal, morally?  You are justifying breaking the law for your own personal benefit. 

dan673 wrote:

law is the law
I'm saying if you need to get to work, and you have a major presentation to make, which would define you keep/losing your job, and you needed to speed, would you consider yourself to be driving recklessly because your speeding, or not recklessly because you have a matter that requires you to speed.
its your fault youre late, not the your job's or the posted speed limits.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-05-25 10:13:46)

dan673
+46|5978

Turquoise wrote:

What if the law is kind of silly.  Like, what if a perfectly straight road on flat land without much around still has a speed limit of 45?  Seems a bit slow, right?
That's a good point. It's all a matter of reasoning.
Turquoise
O Canada

Turquoise wrote:

then let me rephrase.  we SHOULD NOT decide which laws we follow and which laws we do not.  How does that make a person any different than a common criminal, morally.  You are justifying breaking the law for your own personal benefit.
If I was black and had lived during the Jim Crow era, I probably would've joined the sit-ins to protest segregation.

I smoked quite a bit of weed in college because I don't see it as any worse than alcohol or cigarrettes, and I don't see it as the government's right to tell me what I can and can't smoke.

Most of the time, it's best to follow the law, but most of us know of laws that we find stupid or unreasonable.  Sure, we must face consequences for breaking the law, but sometimes you have to break laws to change them.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6706|Sweden
Depends, people going 70-80 on a 90 road are far worse forcing drive-byes and traffic jams. I prefer the ones who speed responsible if the road allows.
dan673
+46|5978

dan673 wrote:

law is the law
So you're saying that you do consider it to be reckless driving if you needed to get to work?
Turquoise
O Canada

dan673 wrote:

dan673 wrote:

So you're saying that you do consider it to be reckless driving if you needed to get to work?
I can't speak for him, but for me, it would all depend on how fast you're going.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

I consider speed limits to be more like guidelines than actual limits. It all depends on road and traffic conditions. I do a lot of driving on the Motorway late at night when there are hardly any other cars about. I don't consider doing 100 or so to be especially reckless then, but doing that through town would be quite silly.

Laws are social guidelines. They need not be followed to the letter. In fact many laws are just plain stupid and need to be ignored entirely. With that, I think I'll go and have a spliff.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

Incidentally, what is the speed limit in the US?

Here it is 20mph in some residential areas (not enforced, not adhered to, but there are speed bumps on most of these roads so you have to go around that sort of speed), 30mph normally, 40mph on dual carriageway (sometimes 50mph), 60mph on rural roads and 70mph on rural dual carriageways and motorways.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-05-25 10:39:12)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6406|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

I consider speed limits to be more like guidelines than actual limits. It all depends on road and traffic conditions. I do a lot of driving on the Motorway late at night when there are hardly any other cars about. I don't consider doing 100 or so to be especially reckless then, but doing that through town would be quite silly.

Laws are social guidelines. They need not be followed to the letter. In fact many laws are just plain stupid and need to be ignored entirely. With that, I think I'll go and have a spliff.
Wow. Cops must LOVE you.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Wow. Cops must LOVE you.
They do. Which is why despite being pulled over 4 times for speeding, I have still never gotten a ticket. Not to mention all the other times I've been pulled over for other things and yet still have a totally clean license.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Here it is 20mph in some residential areas (not enforced, not adhered to, but there are speed bumps on most of these roads so you have to go around that sort of speed), 30mph normally, 40mph on dual carriageway (sometimes 50mph), 60mph on rural roads and 70mph on rural dual carriageways and motorways.
Speed limits in residential areas are usually 25.  Regular in-town roads range from 35 to 45.  Highways are usually between 55 and 65, but 70 is the highest I've seen.
dan673
+46|5978

Bertster7 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limi … ted_States
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6738|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
the sooner people realise it's all about giving themselves time to react to the unexpected, and not about their competency to drive a vehicle at 70mph through a residential area thanks to their unrestricted ego, the less an issue speed limits become. I see sooooo many dangerous drivers on the roads every day it really pisses me off, the fuckers shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a go-cart let alone given the licence to drive a car.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard