S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL
full story

article wrote:

Since all paper money feels pretty much the same, the government is denying blind people meaningful access to the currency, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled Tuesday. The decision could force the Treasury Department to make bills of different sizes or print them with raised markings or other distinguishing features.
I'm all for equality and all that, but when does the cost outweigh the benefits?  is overhauling our entire monetary system really the answer?  Blind people have survived thus far on credit cards and relatives, why the sudden complaining?

Sounds like another example of people crying discrimination in American politics...

Charlie Richardson, the legally blind manager of Charlie's Express Stop inside the Capitol in Albany, N.Y., said he doesn't oppose changing the money but disagrees with the ruling.

"To actually be discriminated against is to have something denied to you," Richardson said. "We're not denied the use of money."
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland
For sterling notes - each size is different. £5 < £10 < £20 < £50
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6104|Birmingham, UK

kylef wrote:

For sterling notes - each size is different. £5 < £10 < £20 < £50
Ah yes, i remember finding that out.
mikkel
+383|6598
Paper currency in the US really needs an upgrade. It just isn't made to cope with the wear and tear, and the notes are kept in circulation for way too long. All Danish notes have unique lenghts and pronounced surfaces so that blind people can identify the denomination. The current series and design was launched in 1997, and the next series and design is due out in 2009. Counterfeiting is really uncommon because of this.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

It's not just that, American money discriminates against non blind people as well due to the incredibly irritating fact that all the notes are the same size and all the colours are the same. Fucking irritating to figure out how much money you've got on you without having to go through and count it all.
The#1Spot
+105|6537|byah
Money has been around  for 1000s of years and now they are bitching about it.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina
Considering the various other systems out there for money that accommodate blind people, I don't see what the problem with changing is.  While we're at it, we can end production of the penny.

Each penny actually costs more than a penny to make, and we'd save a lot of money by ending its production and rounding to the nearest 5 cents with every purchase.
PureFodder
+225|6283

Turquoise wrote:

Considering the various other systems out there for money that accommodate blind people, I don't see what the problem with changing is.  While we're at it, we can end production of the penny.

Each penny actually costs more than a penny to make, and we'd save a lot of money by ending its production and rounding to the nearest 5 cents with every purchase.
I've seen it in action in New Zealand. If you pay with stuff in cash, they just round it to the nearest 5 cents. If you use a card then you pay the exact price. It's certainly something that can work.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5958|Washington DC
While we're at it, can we include tax in the prices please? It's annoying when you go to Chipotle with $6 thinking it'll cover your burrito, but it's actually $6.09 because of tax. Don't they do that in Britain?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6450|The Twilight Zone
I blind man could figure out if the Euro paper money is real or not.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

If the American government is seriously considering this, they should also change from paper to a plastic \ polymer so you won't loose your money in the wash, harder to tear, longer life, etc.

Australian notes are made from a polymer and do come in different sizes. I don't know if the different sizes really help distinguish the notes, but I've never had the need to.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

HurricaИe wrote:

While we're at it, can we include tax in the prices please? It's annoying when you go to Chipotle with $6 thinking it'll cover your burrito, but it's actually $6.09 because of tax. Don't they do that in Britain?
Yeah, not including taxes is the stupidest system I have ever seen. And yes, tax is included everywhere else in the world.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6736|Toronto | Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Yeah, not including taxes is the stupidest system I have ever seen. And yes, tax is included everywhere else in the world.
Not here
PureFodder
+225|6283

HurricaИe wrote:

In the UK the tax system is a bit simpler, no state tax system. The tax is pretty well always included in the price. Only on occasions will you get a price (usually expensive single purchases like computers or airline tickets) not including Value Added Tax (VAT) but then it has to state clearly that the price doesn't include it. For food and CDs and regular stuff in the shops, the price on the item is the price you pay.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6840|Reykjavík, Iceland.

PureFodder wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

In the UK the tax system is a bit simpler, no state tax system. The tax is pretty well always included in the price. Only on occasions will you get a price (usually expensive single purchases like computers or airline tickets) not including Value Added Tax (VAT) but then it has to state clearly that the price doesn't include it. For food and CDs and regular stuff in the shops, the price on the item is the price you pay.
In Iceland, every single thing, no exceptions ever, has the VAT included in the price, if the price says something, then it's the exact amount you pay, no exceptions, ever. We don't have the "x amount, excluding x tax" there is just one solid price.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6718|Sydney, Australia
Yay for Australian monies!

But seriously, when I was in the US a few years ago I found the paper money to be retarded. Everything looked the friggin same (and hurricane, that tax thing was fucked up too). Here is a youtube video I found on the process that is used to make Aussie money. It might give a bit of insight into the differences:

And yeah, I do believe that the different sizes of the australian notes helps blind identification.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5958|Washington DC

Sydney wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

In Iceland, every single thing, no exceptions ever, has the VAT included in the price, if the price says something, then it's the exact amount you pay, no exceptions, ever. We don't have the "x amount, excluding x tax" there is just one solid price.
That is amazing. I guess we don't have that implemented because it'd make too much sense.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

HurricaИe wrote:

Sydney wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

That is amazing. I guess we don't have that implemented because it'd make too much sense.
I always thought that prices should be manipulated to make then even dollar amounts with tax...
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6436|King Of The Islands

mcminty wrote:

Yay for Australian monies!

But seriously, when I was in the US a few years ago I found the paper money to be retarded. Everything looked the friggin same (and hurricane, that tax thing was fucked up too). Here is a youtube video I found on the process that is used to make Aussie money. It might give a bit of insight into the differences:

And yeah, I do believe that the different sizes of the australian notes helps blind identification.
Not only is the counterfeit-preventing-window-doovahmalickly preventing counterfeiting, each note's doovah is a different shape for blinderers.

Also Rimmer
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6472|Foothills of S. Carolina

All they really need to do to revamp the US money system is start implanting the chip that links all your info to a number. They can start the implants in the blind people since they feel so discriminated against. That way the blind will not need to worry about handling money of any sort, just scan their chip and away they go.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

Canin wrote:

All they really need to do to revamp the US money system is start implanting the chip that links all your info to a number. They can start the implants in the blind people since they feel so discriminated against. That way the blind will not need to worry about handling money of any sort, just scan their chip and away they go.
lulz.

nobody's implanting anything in me.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5824

PureFodder wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I've seen it in action in New Zealand. If you pay with stuff in cash, they just round it to the nearest 5 cents. If you use a card then you pay the exact price. It's certainly something that can work.
And Australia.  We also have different sized notes, and coins have ridges on the side, to help blind people.  The notes are also different colours, to help unco people like myself.

I'm also pretty sure our notes are smaller than yours, and made of plastic.  Not that it matters, just commenting.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6754|Argentina
topthrill05
+125|6575|Rochester NY USA
Just when you thought you had seen it all.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

sergeriver wrote:

I made a thread about that.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=55159
case just got through the appelate court though...

If it makes it to the supreme court, we may be seeing some funky money pretty soon.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard