MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6210|Schofield Barracks

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

What I'll never get is how at 18 we can go into another country, shoot Arabs and blow shit up, yet we can't gamble or drink at 18.

If they US feels you're responsible enough to shoot a weapon and kill enemies of the state at 18, why can't you drink or gamble at 18?

Fucking ridiculous.
i agree. If someone is willing to put there life in the line for his or her country they should be able to drink.
because they should be able to put their own life on the line to be cool as well
please explain more.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6484
But alcohol tastes like shit, so why would they even want to drink it?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Very nice, close.

I am against drugs and alcohol, never have done them never will.

However generally speaking I am for their complete legalization except so far that it pertains to everyone else. (drunk driving, high people making asses of themselves, etc.)

Social Darwinism.
Works for me...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6723|67.222.138.85

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

i agree. If someone is willing to put there life in the line for his or her country they should be able to drink.
because they should be able to put their own life on the line to be cool as well
please explain more.
Military service supposedly denotes responsibility, in that if the U.S. government deems you fit to wield deadly force to protect our nation you should be responsible enough to drink. The act of drinking in itself, however, is a relatively risky (additional risk with only recreational benefits, like bungee jumping or skydiving) business that yields no tangible gain. Just because you can drink or are responsible enough to drink does not mean you should.

It's just a case from the government protecting you from yourself. It is never a positive contribution to your body no matter what your age, they are just limiting it to those over a relatively arbitrary age, independent of governmentally defined responsibility. If anything they should make it 18 because that is when you are of legal age and can be tried as an adult, but as I stated before, social darwinism.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5977|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

please explain more.
Military service supposedly denotes responsibility, in that if the U.S. government deems you fit to wield deadly force to protect our nation you should be responsible enough to drink. The act of drinking in itself, however, is a relatively risky (additional risk with only recreational benefits, like bungee jumping or skydiving) business that yields no tangible gain. Just because you can drink or are responsible enough to drink does not mean you should.

It's just a case from the government protecting you from yourself. It is never a positive contribution to your body no matter what your age, they are just limiting it to those over a relatively arbitrary age, independent of governmentally defined responsibility. If anything they should make it 18 because that is when you are of legal age and can be tried as an adult, but as I stated before, social darwinism.
It's 18 practically everywhere.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5843
Australia looks set to increase the tax on "alco-pops".

And I am so sick of hearing people bitch about it.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

HurricaИe wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

please explain more.

It's 18 practically everywhere.
In Germany, it's like 12.  In Ireland, it's like birth...  j/k

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-05-19 19:35:07)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6697|Disaster Free Zone

DesertFox- wrote:

6th grade is usually when you are 11-12 years old, and at the end of high school (12th grade), one is usually 17-18 years old and thus, still 3 years under the legal drinking age in America.
fix'd

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

We always keep my dog's food bowl full. We don't feed him at any particular time, it's just always out if he feels like eating. Does he overeat? No, because he knows it's always there, so there is no reason to eat unless he feels like it. If only let him eat at certain times however, he would eat whatever we put in front of him, even if it was way more than he wanted.

Leave the animals alone. What they're doing is stupid, but who cares? They're animals.
I agree, but I only feed my cat twice a day at certain times, and he doesn't overeat either, he just leaves what it doesn't want, and has it later.

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

But alcohol tastes like shit, so why would they even want to drink it?
You're doing it wrong.

But seriously, I agree. I've been drinking since I was 6, but hated the taste of beer until I was about 18. It could have been my dads selections of beers were terrible, or that I just didn't acquire the taste till later in life. But the point is they don't drink it because it taste good but rather its seen as 'cool' and rebellious, which in my case never came up as I had access and permission to drink for as long as I can remember.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6587|USA
the only reason its 21 is because of madd. states are the only ones that can regulate drinking age, so bitch to your governor. they lose highway funding if they drop the drinking age below 21 though, so you're gonna be bitching long and loud. besides, its not like anybody follows the fucking law anyways.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6663

dan673 wrote:

Also, I've never drank, smoke, or tried any type of drug. I never have, and never will.
You will. No matter what people say they always give in to the temptation bwuhahahahahaha!

Seriously though, lighten up. One drink or one smoke isn't going to kill you or get you addicted.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6340|New Haven, CT
Smoking just makes you a retard.

Not a complicated concept.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6665

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Australia looks set to increase the tax on "alco-pops".

And I am so sick of hearing people bitch about it.
Good, maybe it'll become unprofitable to make the damn things and the companies could spend their time making something other than over-sugary crap.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6245|NSW, Australia

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Sydney wrote:

At my school, being intoxicated is supposed to void your ticket to school dances, however, nobody seems to care to enforce the rules, since everyone has accepted that over half the people there having been drinking anyway, however, you may be searched at the entrance, and you better not have anything on you.

However, I'm not quite in 6th grade, my school is, I think on a US scale, 11th to 14th grade (16 y.o. to 20 y.o.), after which you go to university.

If a good band is playing and you get in the right mood, you don't need alcohol to have fun anyway.
holy crap! 20 years old and still in school.  wierd.

at my school, after I graduated, they started using the Breathalyzer at the door on every kid at the door. WTF right?  Might as well get high, or drop some ex or acid, maybe pop some opiates....
at a school dance everyone from year 10-12 was breathylized, but you could sneak anything in easily,
and all the schools here are year 7-12 which is age 12 to 18 (legal age is 18 for anything)
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS
Holy hell... I'm actually shocked that you are trying to judge people when they can't be more than 11. 12?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
13rin
+977|6495

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

What I'll never get is how at 18 we can go into another country, shoot Arabs and blow shit up, yet we can't gamble or drink at 18.

If they US feels you're responsible enough to shoot a weapon and kill enemies of the state at 18, why can't you drink or gamble at 18?

Fucking ridiculous.
The drinking age at one time was lowered to 18.  It apparently was a mess and apparently 18 year olds couldn't keep the politicians in power sympathetic to their plight.  So drinking age went back to 21.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6723|67.222.138.85

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

The drinking age at one time was lowered to 18.  It apparently was a mess and apparently 18 year olds couldn't keep the politicians in power sympathetic to their plight.  So drinking age went back to 21.
They were all too drunk to care.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5843
I presume you mean the politicians?

Yeah, that's right, I went there.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6732

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

dan673 wrote:

Also, I've never drank, smoke, or tried any type of drug. I never have, and never will.
You will. No matter what people say they always give in to the temptation bwuhahahahahaha!

Seriously though, lighten up. One drink or one smoke isn't going to kill you or get you addicted.
One ciggie can get you hooked up, if you have shitty genes that can't handle nicotine addiction. Alcohol... Aint that bad as most school's health education projects it. Just drink it fucking responsibly and you will be fine.

Btw how old are you dan? Pretty curious to know.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6566|CH/BR - in UK

Eh - 6th grade does seem a bit early - I waited an entire year after that
I don't think it's cool to get wasted to enjoy, well, in my case, prom - although our proms seem to be so bad that intoxication is the only way to make it fun. Still, I think you should be able to enjoy yourself without alcohol, and not see it as a necessity at every party I think it's bad enough that people binge drink through their late teens - they don't have to start at 11.

-konfusion
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6469|Ontario, Canada
6th graders drinking is the most retarded thing ever, way to young to even try it. They ain't trying it to "see what it taste's like", they just are trying to "be cool"
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

When?

The minimum age of 21 was introduced in 1984. It has stood since then.

I drank when I was 11-12 and even before that. But then I did used to spend a lot of time in France.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6654|Amsterdam, NY

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

We always keep my dog's food bowl full. We don't feed him at any particular time, it's just always out if he feels like eating. Does he overeat? No, because he knows it's always there, so there is no reason to eat unless he feels like it. If only let him eat at certain times however, he would eat whatever we put in front of him, even if it was way more than he wanted.

Leave the animals alone. What they're doing is stupid, but who cares? They're animals.
wot
syndicat111
+39|6695|UK

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

Ive been drinking since I was 18, and Im not a raging alcoholic.  Admittadely, you will get a whole section of society (i.e chavs) who deserve to get liver poisining, and are going the right way, but it sucks that you have to be 21 to drink.  Oh well, makes me appreciate being British a little bit more 
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6463|Chicago, IL
I never understood the allure of alcohol...
dan673
+46|5999

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

dan673 wrote:

One ciggie can get you hooked up, if you have shitty genes that can't handle nicotine addiction. Alcohol... Aint that bad as most school's health education projects it. Just drink it fucking responsibly and you will be fine.

Btw how old are you dan? Pretty curious to know.
I'm 18 years old. I don't give into temptation, I'm mentally strong. I know whats good and not good for me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard