chittydog
less busy
+586|6831|Kubra, Damn it!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/ … index.html

CNN wrote:

The U.S. military on Saturday formally apologized to an Iraqi village after a soldier admitted using the Quran -- Islam's holy book -- for target practice.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Hammond apologizes after a soldier admitted using the Quran for target practice.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Hammond, commander of U.S. forces in Baghdad, apologized to the Radhwaniya tribe for the staff sergeant, who was a sniper section leader assigned to the headquarters of the 64th Armored Regiment. He also read a letter of apology by the shooter.

"I come before you here seeking your forgiveness," Hammand said to tribal leaders and others at the apology ceremony. "In the most humble manner I look in your eyes today and I say please forgive me and my soldiers."

Another military official kissed a Quran and presented it as "a humble gift" to the tribal leaders.

The shooter, whose name was not released, shot at a Quran on May 9, villagers said. The Quran used in the incident was discovered two days later, according to the military.

A tribal leader said "the criminal act by U.S. forces" took place at a shooting range at the Radhwaniya police station. After the shooters left, an Iraqi policeman found a target marked in the middle of the bullet-riddled Quran.

Copies of the pictures of the Quran obtained by CNN show multiple bullet holes and an expletive scrawled on one of its pages.

A military investigation found the shooter guilty and relieved him of duty; he will be redeployed to the United States for reassignment away from the 1st Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division, Hammond said.

"The actions of one soldier were nothing more than criminal behavior," he said in the apology. "I've come to this land to protect you, to support you -- not to harm you -- and the behavior of this soldier was nothing short of wrong and unacceptable."

Tribal leaders, dignitaries and local security officials attended the ceremony, while residents carried banners and chanted slogans, including "Yes, yes to the Quran" and "America out, out."
Come on. It's because of stuff like this that these people hate us. Regardless of your feelings, provoking them like that is not only pointless, it's completely counter-productive. What did he hope to accomplish? This is the equivalent of pissing on a bee hive after a bee stings you, it's just going to bring the whole colony after your ass.

I wouldn't say (as he did) that this was criminal behavior, but it's definitely stupid, dangerous and counter-productive. I hope he thinks long and hard about the ramifications of his actions and how many new recruits the insurgents will get from this.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6179|Ireland
I feel the people in the middle east need to see more of this.  Many of the people there are forced into Islam and with the war on, now would be a good time for people to lash back at that repressive belief system that causes the world so much grief.  Maybe if the US military went into Iraq with more of a " fuck you we bow to nobody's beliefs " and entered the Mosques, killed Al Sadar's Soldiers, executed defiant Clerics, and didn't show weakness when faced with religious intollerance it would have emboldened the local population to give the finger to the establishment that repressed them for centuries.

Fuck Islam, draw any cartoon you want and mention Mohamad by name.  Just because some uneducated desert tribes allow themselves to be repressed by it, this doesn't mean the whole world has too.  What the Military did just showed the people that they fear Islam and reinforced their belief that the US military are infidels who will bow before the will of Allah and be defeated.

The poor uneducated people of Iraq need jobs, freedom, and protection from Islamic Society, Islamic Laws, and Islamic Tribal Rule.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6218|Brisneyland
I saw a show recently about soldiers that have fought in Iraq. One marine said that as soon as he saw the photos of prisoners at Abu Graib he was disgusted because he knew that more good US soldiers would die as a result of revenge attacks. This may be a similar case. The officer in charge has done a very good job of apologising for what his dumb ass soldier did. I really hope its enough and that it doesnt prompt any sort of revenge.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6616|London, England
Regardless of my views on Islam/Religion and how much lulz I would have got out of seeing a video of this. When you do shit like this, you're not helping ANYONE. You're just making the situation worse. They need to stop making it so easy for the enemy to recruit new people.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6667|UK
Hearts and minds.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
chittydog
less busy

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I feel the people in the middle east need to see more of this.  Many of the people there are forced into Islam and with the war on, now would be a good time for people to lash back at that repressive belief system that causes the world so much grief.  Maybe if the US military went into Iraq with more of a " fuck you we bow to nobody's beliefs " and entered the Mosques, killed Al Sadar's Soldiers, executed defiant Clerics, and didn't show weakness when faced with religious intollerance it would have emboldened the local population to give the finger to the establishment that repressed them for centuries.

Fuck Islam, draw any cartoon you want and mention Mohamad by name.  Just because some uneducated desert tribes allow themselves to be repressed by it, this doesn't mean the whole world has too.  What the Military did just showed the people that they fear Islam and reinforced their belief that the US military are infidels who will bow before the will of Allah and be defeated.

The poor uneducated people of Iraq need jobs, freedom, and protection from Islamic Society, Islamic Laws, and Islamic Tribal Rule.
Wow. You've just displayed the attitude that has caused not only this conflict, but probably a large portion of the wars throughout history. One group of people deciding what best for another group without any regard to what they might want. The Iraqis don't want to be freed from Islam. Don't you think attempting to do that will just turn more of them against us? Oh wait a minute, we already did that when we invaded Iraq, and guess what? It did turn more of them against us. Oh well, let's just keep trying it until one side or the other runs out of people. The ignorance of your post is remarkable.

Violence just begets more violence. As an Irishman, you should be particularly aware of this. When the British came in and forced their ways upon you, it really opened the eyes of the Irish and made them realize that the British ways were better, right? Can someone tell me what IRA stands for again? And I don't mean Individual Retirement Account. I'm sure your response will be that the British were wrong and Islam is wrong, but that's irrelevant. The invaded people will always see the invaders as wrong and will always fight against them (insert goofy French joke here).

If you really want to fight against Islam and "liberate" its hundreds of millions of devout followers, why don't you take a minute to look at history and see what people have done effectively in the past. Europe tried to kill them all in the Crusades, that didn't work. Genghis Khan tried to kill them and breed them out in the 1500's, that didn't work either. India, however, realized they needed a different tactic if they were going to save what remained of Hinduism after Islam had almost dominated the country. They took an extremely effective approach, they just made their religion more appealing then the one they didn't like. Thus, the Kama Sutra was born and within a hundred years or so, Hindus were the majority again.

Going in with guns blazing and touting your superiority never changed anyone's mind. I don't understand what would make you think it would work now.

Last edited by chittydog (2008-05-17 16:19:50)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Regardless of my views on Islam/Religion and how much lulz I would have got out of seeing a video of this. When you do shit like this, you're not helping ANYONE. You're just making the situation worse. They need to stop making it so easy for the enemy to recruit new people.
the more you provoke them the more the muslim extremist are going ot be like see we told u U.S. does not respect us or our religion and they are going to get more recruits.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6179|Ireland

chittydog wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Wow. You've just displayed the attitude that has caused not only this conflict, but probably a large portion of the wars throughout history. One group of people deciding what best for another group without any regard to what they might want. The Iraqis don't want to be freed from Islam. Don't you think attempting to do that will just turn more of them against us? Oh wait a minute, we already did that when we invaded Iraq, and guess what? It did turn more of them against us. Oh well, let's just keep trying it until one side or the other runs out of people. The ignorance of your post is remarkable.

Violence just begets more violence. As an Irishman, you should be particularly aware of this. When the British came in and forced their ways upon you, it really opened the eyes of the Irish and made them realize that the British ways were better, right? Can someone tell me what IRA stands for again? And I don't mean Individual Retirement Account. I'm sure your response will be that the British were wrong and Islam is wrong, but that's irrelevant. The invaded people will always see the invaders as wrong and will always fight against them (insert goofy French joke here).

If you really want to fight against Islam and "liberate" its hundreds of millions of devout followers, why don't you take a minute to look at history and see what people have done effectively in the past. Europe tried to kill them all in the Crusades, that didn't work. Genghis Khan tried to kill them and breed them out in the 1500's, that didn't work either. India, however, realized they needed a different tactic if they were going to save what remained of Hinduism after Islam had almost dominated the country. They took an extremely effective approach, they just made their religion more appealing then the one they didn't like. Thus, the Kama Sutra was born and within a hundred years or so, Hindus were the majority again.

Going in with guns blazing and touting your superiority never changed anyone's mind. I don't understand what would make you think it would work now.
Iraq started the war, and it was never about " Hey, let's invade Iraq to appease the religious zelots among them ".  The Bush doctrine in Iraq is not only expensive but it is very offensive to me.

I am more of a " if you are willing to kill someone because they shot a book, bring it the fuck on because you need to die " type person.  Take off the kid gloves and give them real democracy and freedom, not just another flavor of Islamic Society.  This whole war is a waste of time and money because the problem ( Islamic Militantism ) is never being confronted, it is being appeased.
m3thod
+2,197|6667|UK

Lotta_Drool wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Iraq started the war.
HOW?!
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6179|Ireland
Invade Kwait and threatened Saudi Arabi, defied the UN resolutions.
m3thod
+2,197|6667|UK

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Invade Kwait and threatened Saudi Arabi, defied the UN resolutions.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I love the smell of desperation in the morning.  Gives me a boner.

Edit

Kuwait: Already dealt with.  Iraq got its ass handed to it.
Saudi: Threatening is justification? The US threatens Iran on a daily basis does that give Iran the right to invade the US?
UN: You're not the UN, and the UN doesn't need, require and more importantly ask the US to act on its behalf.

Bush sucks.  And so does anyone who believes his bullshit.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-05-17 16:49:26)

theelviscerator
+19|6284
Communist News Network only too happy to show it also.....

Big deal.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker
Criminal act? Pffff ...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5957|Washington DC

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Iraq started the war
wat
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina
It's just a book.  I use the bible to wipe my ass.
chittydog
less busy

Stingray24 wrote:

Criminal act? Pffff ...
I don't think anyone believes it's a criminal, just in poor taste. The only one to bring it up is the soldier who mentioned it in his apology letter, and I'm sure that was heavily influenced to be dramatic to try and head off as much of a backlash as possible.
chittydog
less busy

sergeriver wrote:

And I think that's your right. But you probably wouldn't do it right in front of a bunch of people who are going to try to kill you and all your friends for it.
m3thod
+2,197|6667|UK

sergeriver wrote:

You wouldn't go to the Vatican (uninvited) and proceed to start connecting pages of the bible with your rimhole would you?!

It's not 'just' a book to the people the faith it represents.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-05-17 17:42:14)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6685|Tampa Bay Florida
Stingray, let me ask you.

If I walked up to your house, standing on the lawn, and opened fire open the Holy bible, you wouldnt be the LEAST bit offended?

Fucking hypocrite.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina

Lotta_Drool wrote:

The irony of what you're proposing is that this is similar to what the Muslims did to pre-existing cultures they faced in the Middle East.

I think something that would be darkly funny to do but would obviously never be done is for us to mow over their people and their culture in favor of Christianity or some other religion.  We could do it exactly the same way that Mohammed and his friends conquered the areas he "converted" in the early years of Islam, but with modern weapons.

Of course, following their actions would be considered barbaric, but hey, if we do it brutally enough and self-righteously enough, we might even be able to convert them to the psychosis of our choosing.

Then again, what Mohammed did really isn't that different from what the followers of nearly every major religion have done to spread their faith.  The only difference with Islam is that there are quite a few of its followers today that still desire to spread the faith through war.  It's not surprising, considering the focus of their religion is on a warlord.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6406|'Murka

sergeriver wrote:

Toilet paper is MUCH cheaper.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

FEOS wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Toilet paper is MUCH cheaper.
And far more comfortable...
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS
There is a difference between not liking something and then shoving it in the people's faces. The only intention of this can be to offend people.

I suppose Lotta_Drool would enjoy flashing people in public? Because that's basically the equivalent.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Steel
on_Target
+65|6313|Sarasota Fl
fuck that formal apology,
burn our flag blast your quran
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6642
lol

"A military investigation found the shooter guilty and relieved him of duty"

What exactly is he guilty of? Working on his aim?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard