Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080506/ts_ … lone_dc_15
YANGON (Reuters) - Myanmar's military government raised its death toll from Cyclone Nargis on Tuesday to nearly 22,500 with a further 41,000 missing, nearly all of them from a massive storm surge that swept into the Irrawaddy delta.
ADVERTISEMENT

Of the dead, only 671 were in the former capital, Yangon, and its outlying districts, state radio said, confirming Nargis as the most devastating cyclone to hit Asia since 1991, when 143,000 people died in Bangladesh.

"More deaths were caused by the tidal wave than the storm itself," Minister for Relief and Resettlement Maung Maung Swe told a news conference in the rubble-strewn city of five million, where food and water supplies are running low.

"The wave was up to 12 feet high and it swept away and inundated half the houses in low-lying villages," he said, giving the first detailed description of the weekend cyclone. "They did not have anywhere to flee."

Information Minister Kyaw Hsan said the military were "doing their best," but analysts said there could be fallout for the former Burma's rulers, who pride themselves on their ability to cope with any challenge.

"The myth they have projected about being well-prepared has been totally blown away," said analyst Aung Naing Oo, who fled to Thailand after a brutally crushed 1988 uprising. "This could have a tremendous political impact in the long term."

The first batch of more than $10 million worth of foreign aid arrived on Tuesday, but a lack of specialized equipment slowed distribution.

U.S. President George W. Bush urged the regime to accept U.S. aid workers who have so far have been kept out, and said the United States stood ready to "do a lot more" to help.

"The military junta must allow our disaster assessment teams into the country," Bush told reporters, adding he was prepared to make U.S. naval assets available for search and rescue.

Reflecting the scale of the disaster, the junta said it would postpone to May 24 a constitutional referendum in the worst-hit areas of Yangon and the sprawling delta.

However, state TV said the May 10 vote on the charter, part of the army's much-criticized "roadmap to democracy," would proceed as planned in the rest of the southeast Asian nation, which has been under army rule for the last 46 years.

Its political plans have been slammed by Western governments, especially after the army's bloody suppression of Buddhist-monk led protests last September.

SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND HOMELESS

Earlier, Foreign Minister Nyan Win said on state television that 10,000 people had died just in Bogalay, a town 90 km (50 miles) southwest of Yangon.

However, the government lifted states of emergency in three of the five states declared official disaster zones and some parts of the worst-hit Yangon and Irrawaddy regions. Nearly half Myanmar's 53 million people live in the five hit states.

The Information Minister also said the government had sufficient stocks of rice despite damage to grain stored in the huge delta, known as the "rice bowl of Asia" 50 years ago when Burma was the world's largest exporter.

The total left homeless by the 190 km (120 miles) per hour winds and storm surge is in the several hundred thousands, United Nations aid officials say.

Even in delta villages that managed to withstand the worst of the winds, food and water is running low.

"There's not much food," one woman at a pineapple stall in Hlaing Tha Yar, an hour's drive west of Yangon, told Reuters. "The price of a cabbage is now 1,000 kyats instead of 250."

In Yangon itself, people queued up for bottled water and there was still no electricity four days after the cyclone hit.

Prices of food, fuel and construction materials have skyrocketed, and most shops have sold out of candles and batteries. An egg costs three times what it did on Friday.

"MASSIVE, TERRIBLE"

The disaster drew a rare acceptance of outside help from the diplomatically isolated generals, who spurned such approaches in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

Thailand flew in nine tonnes of food and medicine, the first foreign aid shipment, but a Reuters cameraman on the plane said supplies were unloaded by hand as no forklift trucks were available -- a worrying sign of the army's lack of vital kit.

Two Indian transport planes are due to fly in early on Wednesday and more are on standby, New Delhi said.

State media have made much of the army's response, showing footage of soldiers manhandling tree trunks or top generals climbing into helicopters or greeting homeless storm victims in Buddhist temples.

Aid agency World Vision in Australia said it had been granted special visas to send in personnel to back up 600 staff in the impoverished Southeast Asian country.

"This is massive. It is not necessarily quite tsunami level, but in terms of impact of millions displaced, thousands dead, it is just terrible," World Vision Australia head Tim Costello said.

"Organisations like ours have been given permission, which is pretty unprecedented, to fly people in. This shows how grave it is in the Burmese government's mind," he said.
It keeps getting worse.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Kmarion wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080506/ts_nm/myanmar_cyclone_dc_15
YANGON (Reuters) - Myanmar's military government raised its death toll from Cyclone Nargis on Tuesday to nearly 22,500 with a further 41,000 missing, nearly all of them from a massive storm surge that swept into the Irrawaddy delta.
ADVERTISEMENT

Of the dead, only 671 were in the former capital, Yangon, and its outlying districts, state radio said, confirming Nargis as the most devastating cyclone to hit Asia since 1991, when 143,000 people died in Bangladesh.

"More deaths were caused by the tidal wave than the storm itself," Minister for Relief and Resettlement Maung Maung Swe told a news conference in the rubble-strewn city of five million, where food and water supplies are running low.

"The wave was up to 12 feet high and it swept away and inundated half the houses in low-lying villages," he said, giving the first detailed description of the weekend cyclone. "They did not have anywhere to flee."

Information Minister Kyaw Hsan said the military were "doing their best," but analysts said there could be fallout for the former Burma's rulers, who pride themselves on their ability to cope with any challenge.

"The myth they have projected about being well-prepared has been totally blown away," said analyst Aung Naing Oo, who fled to Thailand after a brutally crushed 1988 uprising. "This could have a tremendous political impact in the long term."

The first batch of more than $10 million worth of foreign aid arrived on Tuesday, but a lack of specialized equipment slowed distribution.

U.S. President George W. Bush urged the regime to accept U.S. aid workers who have so far have been kept out, and said the United States stood ready to "do a lot more" to help.

"The military junta must allow our disaster assessment teams into the country," Bush told reporters, adding he was prepared to make U.S. naval assets available for search and rescue.

Reflecting the scale of the disaster, the junta said it would postpone to May 24 a constitutional referendum in the worst-hit areas of Yangon and the sprawling delta.

However, state TV said the May 10 vote on the charter, part of the army's much-criticized "roadmap to democracy," would proceed as planned in the rest of the southeast Asian nation, which has been under army rule for the last 46 years.

Its political plans have been slammed by Western governments, especially after the army's bloody suppression of Buddhist-monk led protests last September.

SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND HOMELESS

Earlier, Foreign Minister Nyan Win said on state television that 10,000 people had died just in Bogalay, a town 90 km (50 miles) southwest of Yangon.

However, the government lifted states of emergency in three of the five states declared official disaster zones and some parts of the worst-hit Yangon and Irrawaddy regions. Nearly half Myanmar's 53 million people live in the five hit states.

The Information Minister also said the government had sufficient stocks of rice despite damage to grain stored in the huge delta, known as the "rice bowl of Asia" 50 years ago when Burma was the world's largest exporter.

The total left homeless by the 190 km (120 miles) per hour winds and storm surge is in the several hundred thousands, United Nations aid officials say.

Even in delta villages that managed to withstand the worst of the winds, food and water is running low.

"There's not much food," one woman at a pineapple stall in Hlaing Tha Yar, an hour's drive west of Yangon, told Reuters. "The price of a cabbage is now 1,000 kyats instead of 250."

In Yangon itself, people queued up for bottled water and there was still no electricity four days after the cyclone hit.

Prices of food, fuel and construction materials have skyrocketed, and most shops have sold out of candles and batteries. An egg costs three times what it did on Friday.

"MASSIVE, TERRIBLE"

The disaster drew a rare acceptance of outside help from the diplomatically isolated generals, who spurned such approaches in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

Thailand flew in nine tonnes of food and medicine, the first foreign aid shipment, but a Reuters cameraman on the plane said supplies were unloaded by hand as no forklift trucks were available -- a worrying sign of the army's lack of vital kit.

Two Indian transport planes are due to fly in early on Wednesday and more are on standby, New Delhi said.

State media have made much of the army's response, showing footage of soldiers manhandling tree trunks or top generals climbing into helicopters or greeting homeless storm victims in Buddhist temples.

Aid agency World Vision in Australia said it had been granted special visas to send in personnel to back up 600 staff in the impoverished Southeast Asian country.

"This is massive. It is not necessarily quite tsunami level, but in terms of impact of millions displaced, thousands dead, it is just terrible," World Vision Australia head Tim Costello said.

"Organisations like ours have been given permission, which is pretty unprecedented, to fly people in. This shows how grave it is in the Burmese government's mind," he said.
It keeps getting worse.
Also does around there, I remember the 04 Tsunami, death toll just kept rising and rising.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
Sad.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
Another consequence will be that the price of rice will further skyrocket.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

And most of our media spent the day talking about a euthanized horse .

People are still dieing in the meantime.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Yeah, I remember just two days ago they were only saying "300" and then I check again it's "thousands" and now it's climbing into the tens of thousands. I mean, as if these guys didn't have it hard enough with that Military government...

Who, can be blamed for this. As they didn't even bother putting in a proper warning system. Or so I've heard.

And most of our media spent the day talking about a euthanized horse
Yeah, on the BBC the top 2 read stories are "Free Satellite" and "Johanson or w/e gets engaged"

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-05-06 08:33:34)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

There is a cyclone in Myanmar? Looks like our media fails hard
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
IRONCHEF
+385|6493|Northern California
Yep, I was watching some typical right-wing leaning Sacramento news last night, and not ONE mention of this world enveloping crisis...plenty of shootings and other sick crimes filled the news hour though, because that's what sells.  Wish I had Oakland/SF channels again..they only use 15 minutes for the crime AFTER big world events like this are covered.

Any guesses on the end number of fatalities?  Anyone else here desensitized to not register this huge Myanmar disaster?  I'll say 88,000 dead will be the last reported amount.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6724|Eastern PA

IRONCHEF wrote:

Yep, I was watching some typical right-wing leaning Sacramento news last night, and not ONE mention of this world enveloping crisis...plenty of shootings and other sick crimes filled the news hour though, because that's what sells.  Wish I had Oakland/SF channels again..they only use 15 minutes for the crime AFTER big world events like this are covered.

Any guesses on the end number of fatalities?  Anyone else here desensitized to not register this huge Myanmar disaster?  I'll say 88,000 dead will be the last reported amount.
Certainly less than the 2004 Tsunami possibly less than the Bhola Cyclone...I'm guessing between 30 and 50k.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
BVC
+325|6697
I don't think I've seen a thread about this in D&ST yet.

There was a cyclone in Myanmar, there could be 100,000 dead.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4516063a10.html

Myanmar deaths 'may top 100,000'
Reuters | Thursday, 08 May 2008

US officials in Myanmar are receiving information that there may be over 100,000 deaths in the delta area because of the cyclone that devastated the Southeast Asian nation, the top US diplomat in the country has said.

"The information that we're receiving indicates that there may well be over 100,000 deaths in the delta area," said Shari Villarosa, the charge d'affaires of the US Embassy in Myanmar. She spoke with reporters by conference call from Rangoon.

Villarosa said the 100,000 figure was not a confirmed death toll but was based on estimates provided by an international non-governmental organisation. She declined to identify the organisation.

She said recent estimates by the army-run Myanmar government put the death toll at 70,000 deaths, primarily in the delta area, she said.

"The situation in the delta sounds more and more horrendous," she said. Many people had died there because the storm surge hit them while they were sleeping, and either inundated them or swept them out to sea, Villarosa said.

It was very difficult to get to the region because there were not that many roads to begin with, and bridges had been washed out, she said.

In the Rangoon area, where most of the damage was from wind, the government estimated 600 or 700 deaths, she said.

There was a strong risk of an outbreak of disease because of the lack of clean water, Villarosa said. "There is a very real risk of disease outbreaks."

She said the United States was making efforts to meet with ministers and senior officials and hoped to convey the message that the country needed a massive international relief effort. But, "this is a very paranoid regime," she said of the junta.

"I can only assume that the longer the delay (in aid), the more victims that are created."
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
Kerry made one me thinks.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6769
I am glad someone is calling it Myanmar
too_money2007
+145|6310|Keller, Tx
BURRRRRMAAAAAA

Pretty sad this happened. But, things like this happen when you live in countries such as these (not saying it's their fault for living there). Some places should just not be settled.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6572|Portland, OR, USA

sergeriver wrote:

Kerry made one me thinks.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=100493
too_money2007
+145|6310|Keller, Tx
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24514879/

Lol, they won't let anyone into their country to help them. Revolution anyone?
IRONCHEF
+385|6493|Northern California
I guessed the number at 88,000, so that's what it will be officially..eventually..if they count and don't go by western media guesses.

It's too bad they don't let people in.  Even Iran let American aid in when they had their last big earthquake in Tehran.
BVC
+325|6697

CameronPoe wrote:

I bought 10kg of it a couple of weeks ago for that very reason.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Pubic wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I bought 10kg of it a couple of weeks ago for that very reason.
It was almost enough to scare me into actually eating rice.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

OMG someone actually blogs there?
http://www.mayburma.com/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

The death toll will rise to a possible KERJILLION, and news services will get a bit of a ratings boost.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Half a million!?

What on earth?

Mind you, the response the junta is making I wouldn't be that shocked...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I took the largest number I could find no matter the source so I wouldn't have to change the title again.

Kmarion , fair and balanced.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
The military junta being as incompetent as they are, wont be able to control the massive increase in disease that will occur after the initial cyclone. With outside help there may be a chance that they could control the rate of disease, however without outside help there will be no chance. In the case of the latter 500 000 people dead may be a conservative figure.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Burwhale the Avenger wrote:

The military junta being as incompetent as they are, wont be able to control the massive increase in disease that will occur after the initial cyclone. With outside help there may be a chance that they could control the rate of disease, however without outside help there will be no chance. In the case of the latter 500 000 people dead may be a conservative figure.
Basically, yeah.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard