Poll

Do you suck ass at overclocking?

Yes51%51% - 38
No48%48% - 36
Total: 74
Brasso
+1,549|6638

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6583|London
No

But really a lot of it comes down to your motherboard and luck with chips. My mobo is a dream to overclock with.
Stimey
­
+786|6128|Ontario | Canada
I've overclocked my vidya card, but all my computers have been OEM up until the one I'm building now, so we'll see if I fry the CPU
­
­
­
­
­
­
LT.Victim
+1,175|6570|British Columbia, Canada
Definitely yes.

I tried, and didn't even know where to begin. Even after reading a bunch of how-to-guides.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6576|Mountains of NC

LT.Victim wrote:

Definitely yes.

I tried, and didn't even know where to begin. Even after reading a bunch of how-to-guides.
this is also me minus the guides

I hear overclocking all the time but I have no idea what that means and why do it
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6598|Reisterstown, MD

SEREMAKER wrote:

I hear overclocking all the time but I have no idea what that means and why do it
Basically, it gives your system a boost.  I won't profess to be an expert on the subject because it really isn't that important to me.  I'm sure others will flex their e-peen to let you know they are "experts" in the subject when, in the grand scheme of PC's, it matters about as much as which keyboard has the bigger R.  Rhetorical of course. 

Last edited by killer21 (2008-04-29 17:35:49)

Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6583|London

killer21 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Basically, it gives your system a boost.
in the grand scheme of PC's, it matters about as much as which keyboard has the bigger R.  Rhetorical of course. 
The boost can be massive though Enough to make a £50 cpu as fast as a non-overclocked £120 cpu. Or enough to make a graphics card as fast as the KO SSC XTX edition which would cost £50 more. Overall it's something worth learning if you're a pc gamer and have better things to spend money on than new parts every 2 months.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

killer21 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Basically, it gives your system a boost.  I won't profess to be an expert on the subject because it really isn't that important to me.  I'm sure others will flex their e-peen to let you know they are "experts" in the subject when, in the grand scheme of PC's, it matters about as much as which keyboard has the bigger R.  Rhetorical of course. 
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the subject, however I've been overclocking computers for years, and you're completely wrong. Saying that is like saying buying a faster CPU is pointless, because "in the grand scheme of PC's, it matters about as much as which keyboard has the bigger R". Maybe we should just all go back to P4's.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5972|London, England

I Null voted because i feel if i said no then haffey would hunt me down and hurt me, not like it hard to find me
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
killer21

Gaming pc's are in the minority when it comes to business.  I'm not saying having a faster processor or better vid card is not important.  Completely missed the point.  I am just saying that when it comes to computers and overclocking, there are more important things such as networking, AD, layer switching, etc.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

killer21 wrote:

Gaming pc's are in the minority when it comes to business.  I'm not saying having a faster processor or better vid card is not important.  Completely missed the point.  I am just saying that when it comes to computers and overclocking, there are more important things such as networking, AD, layer switching, etc.
This may have escaped you, but we're on a gaming site, hence people want/need to have faster CPU's/GPU's than they can probably afford, in order to keep up to date with the requirements for games. Overclocking allows them to do this.
killer21

I completely agree.  If you can't afford that next processor then overclock it.  I am not denouncing that.  I'll just let it go since this is merely a gaming site so you are right.  I am wrong.  My apologies.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

so engine terms ........ you're redlineing your chip ??????

I understand engines better then computers
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6715|67.222.138.85

SEREMAKER wrote:

Fairly close. More like making it idle higher, but the performance increase doesn't exactly compare.

Essentially it breaks down to:

Risk + Technical Knowledge = Performance Increase

Where risk is both of killing your component immediately (granted a very low risk, but man would that suck) and in the longer term of lowering the life expectancy of your component.

Technical knowledge is obvious, the guy who buys a Dell because computers are too hard to put together probably doesn't have the know-how to overclock it.

The performance increase can be anywhere from 5-50% on most machines, some enthusiasts can go up to 100%.

Personally I don't think it's worth it, because of how few people have the mid range machines that it benefits most. Computers become obsolete that usually as far as gaming is concerned you are either cutting edge because you just got new components, or you're way behind because your computer is a year old. If you're on top of things you can run everything fine, (I'm maxing out all my games, at over 80 frames on stock hardware, including CoD4 and TF2.) but as soon as you get behind you're so far behind the overclock won't get you very far. At most game wise I think it gets you a few more months of running games at a significantly better than without it.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Fairly close. More like making it idle higher, but the performance increase doesn't exactly compare.

Where risk is both of killing your component immediately (granted a very low risk, but man would that suck) and in the longer term of lowering the life expectancy of your component.

Technical knowledge is obvious, the guy who buys a Dell because computers are too hard to put together probably doesn't have the know-how to overclock it.

The performance increase can be anywhere from 5-50% on most machines, some enthusiasts can go up to 100%.

Personally I don't think it's worth it, because of how few people have the mid range machines that it benefits most. Computers become obsolete that usually as far as gaming is concerned you are either cutting edge because you just got new components, or you're way behind because your computer is a year old. If you're on top of things you can run everything fine, (I'm maxing out all my games, at over 80 frames on stock hardware, including CoD4 and TF2.) but as soon as you get behind you're so far behind the overclock won't get you very far. At most game wise I think it gets you a few more months of running games at a significantly better than without it.
whys it got to be dell

*strucks my xps*

can you regulate the overclocking ....... meaning I want more but I don't want 100% more
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6715|67.222.138.85

SEREMAKER wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

whys it got to be dell

*strucks my xps*

can you regulate the overclocking ....... meaning I want more but I don't want 100% more
Yes, that's the point. You increment it slowly until your system is either unstable (the overclocked part is crying in pain) or until you're happy with where you are.
jsnipy
+3,276|6530|...

I wouldn't say I suck ass at it, it just has not been an area of interest for me. My motivation is to have something fast, quiet, and reliable without having to constantly be sticking my hands in the side of the case, even if it means spending a bit more money.

If I was 18 in this day and age, I'd probably be an overclocking fool (on account of not having any money). No offense if you are into this, I'm actually impressed by the effort many in the community put into it, its just not for me. Do you suck ass at programming

Having said that my processor in my main system is overclocked and not dead yet so my answer is "no"

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-04-29 19:01:49)

**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6163|Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've overclocked, but am definately no expert at it, i can;t figure out how to get past the system instability point, ie, crank the FSB until windows don;t boot, then back until it does.

But how do you get past that? Bring up CPU voltage?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6205|Winland

<-
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6774|Cambridge (UK)
I've done it.

I don't like it.

Too much risk for such little gain.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6243|United Kingdom
OEM PC + Shit CPU + Bad heatsink + locked mobo + awful psu + no case fans = No, never had the opportunity
jaymz9350
+54|6585
No I don't suck at it, but i'm no expert either.  I try to buy decent motherboards that are affordable and good power supplies. this lets me get the most out of what ever cpu and vid card I buy.  I usually shoot for the middle ground just in case i get a dud oc'er i'm not screwed but if i get a decent one i get a nice little boost.  I always seen to get decent but not great cpu's and gpu's for ocing but i don't try and go all crazy pumping juice into them either.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6692|West Yorkshire, U.K

LT.Victim wrote:

Definitely yes.

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6575|NYC / Hamburg

no. I usually stick to medium overclocks though. I try to not boost the voltage by more than .1-.15V. Overclocking FTW for gaming or old PCs
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724
Yes and it increases shit so fast. It's only something for awsm azns.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard