kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
GuideLinkComments
General Buying TipsHereGeneral buying tips. Written in May 2007, includes all major components
DirectX 10.0 InformationHereA full information thread and card recommendations on DirectX 10.0
CoolingHereA very informative cooling guide for your PC
Firefox CustomizationHereMy Firefox is better than yours! A comprehensive customization guide and recommended plugins
Power Supply GuideHereA guide on understanding power supplies and recommendations for certain budgets
Important information you need to know:This guide should be taken into consideration when upgrading your PC. I hold no responsibility if you damage your system! This guide simply offers information on PSUs and further recommendations for certain budgets.This review may not be used without my authorization. Any stealers will be dealt with accordingly.______________________________UNDERSTANDING POWER SUPPLY UNITSVoltage; rails; amps; watts - to a PSU 'newbie', words like this indefinitely scare you. But the great thing about my guide, is that you don't need to have a lot of knowledge in technology to understand all this! So, diving right in! A PSU (Power Supply Unit) is the power your system. It is the part that turns 'a bunch of components' into a computer. Before I go into more detail, I have to stress that asking "how many watts do i need?" is the wrong question.https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/hx520wback.png... looks crazy, huh? Well, I won't lie to you - it did to me the first time I saw it. But I understand it now - and if you ever upgrade your system, you need to think of your PSU. Now! Let's get stuck into some "easy-learn" definitions:DC Output: Referred to as 'rails' on the PSU. As can see, there are many. I will go into which one does what later on. Note the multiple "+12V" rails.Rails:Basically, each DC Output 'rail' carries volts. Each rail carries its own volts. The "+3.3v" has 3.3v (it's a given).Voltage:This is simply the measurement term of the electronic potential. Referred to as 'V' usually.Current:The flow of electricity.Amps:A measurement of the flow of electricity. (aka Amperage)Watts:   A measurement of the total amount of electricity power. Calculated by 'Voltage x Amps'. Referred to as 'W' usually. (aka Wattage)______________________________.. really, these are simplified definitions of what you need to know. There are others, but this is a basic guide to understanding Power Supplies. Now, each rail does a certain a job:+12V: Anything with a motor! Graphics Card, Hard Drive, DVD-RW etc. Note that there are multiple rails of "+12V" (+12V1, +12V2 etc) because it is so important as lots of things use it.+5V: General motherboard stuff that you shouldn't need to concern yourself with!+3.3V: CPU Core and Memory. (Think about it, say your CPU is running at 1.3v and your memory at 1.9v, then your total voltage is 3.2V, so you are in the safe zone)-12V: Rarely used. (serial ports etc use this)5V: Unused, for the most part.______________________________Okay! Now, take a look at the diagram again and hopefully you will be able to understand how it gets from DC Output to Wattage:https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/hx520wback.pngOkay! So hopefully you can at least understand the basics. Now, onto the multiple +12V rails. Because so much 'stuff' is put into the +12V, there needs to be a lot of amps on the +12V rail. Hence, there are multiple! There are 3 on this particular version, with 18A on each. You divide the maximum combined power by 12, meaning this PSU has 40A on the 12V rails in total. When purchasing a new PSU, make sure it has a minimum of 30A on the +12v rail. The higher the amps, the better. This is what separates cheap, flimsy PSUs from the real good PSUs.Good Brands: (if your PSU isn't on this list, I would seriously recommend you switch)AntecBFGCoolermasterCorsairEnermaxHiperOCZSeasonicTaganThermaltakeZalmanNow, you'll be glad to know that really all the hard technical information you need to know is already learnt. This next section is onto cables, which is really quite easy!______________________________CABLING
CableImageComments
Primary Main Cable (20, 20+4, 24)HereThis is your main cable that plugs into the motherboard. It is recommended that you get a 20+4 pin primary cable.
4-Pin (2x2) P4 ConnectorHereFound on motherboards that use an Intel CPU
Molex (1x4) cableHereThe most common cable. Multiple on the PSU usually. You plug this into DVD-RWs, HDDs etc.
PCI-Express ConnectorHerePowers your graphics card if it requires the cable.
SATAHereFor SATA drives, you can connect your drive to the PSU through this cable and not a molex. Don't use both!

There are modular power supplies that allow you to only use the cables that you need. These are usually more expensive, but if you are happy with paying the extra price - go for it!

POWER SUPPLY RECOMMENDATIONS

For the lazy and incompetent (you skipped down here, I can insult you), here's a small list of some recommended PSUs at different prices. To calculate how much wattage you actually need (I recommend you go pro for amperage etc), check out Outervision.

Antec True Power Trio 430W : $90 - £45

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/antec_430w.jpg

Aimed at low-end system users who do want the good reliability! Recommended, but make sure you that you only need around 430W!

Review #1 (Phoronix)

OCZ StealthXStream 600W : $95 - £60

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/ocz_600w.jpg

Aimed at higher systems, a powerful 600W OCZ branded PSU.

Review #1 (Hardware Secrets)

Corsair HX520W PSU : $130 - £70

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/corsair_520w.jpg

Onto powerful systems now! SLi capable, modular, very powerful with good amperage - recommended!

Review #1 (Silent PC Review {SPCR})

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W : $175 - £95

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/thermaltake__750w.jpg

This power supply is in the title. Tough. These PSUs have massive amperage and wattage rate. Very, very tough!

Review #1 (Techspot)

Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W Modular : $330 - £170

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/thermaltake_1000w.jpg

This power supply is in the title. Tough. Unlike its 750W little brother, this one kilowatt power supply is deadly - and can handle almost anything you can throw at it!

Review #1 (Overclockers Club)

... and that's about it! There really isn't a lot to learn before you can spot to see flimsy PSUs from good PSUs! I hope you enjoyed reading this guide.

- kyle.

Credits: nukchebi0

Last edited by kylef (2008-01-03 03:41:29)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Lots of Antec PSUs and Hiper PSUs are complete pieces of shit. Some aren't.
Microwave
_
+515|6625|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
That's a GREAT guide Kyle.

Wish I could have read it before I bought mine...luckily I picked well (with abitta reasearch) : the Thermaltake Toughpower 750w....phew, it's good!
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Hah excellent choice. I'd have gone for one myself but price compelled me down to the HX520W which I'm still happy with. I'll get my hands on a TT Toughpower, yet!
Maj.Do
+85|6721|good old CA
sticky??  nice guide too! +1
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

nice guide, I vote sticky

EDIT: mistake in OP spotted out and changed

Last edited by max (2007-06-14 14:42:32)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

If you really want to understand PSUs, just build one. It's not too hard. I ran my PC off one I built for a while, until it exploded (a capacitor blew up squirting stinky liquid everywhere) and caught on fire - I put it out though, it was fine. Lasted a good few weeks.

It's easy to do, was one of my first projects when I was at uni.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-06-14 14:37:22)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

max wrote:

nice guide, just 1 tiny thing. Wattage is abbreviated W not A. Or did I misunderstand you
Watts:   
A measurement of the total amount of electricity power. Calculated by 'Voltage x Amps'. Referred to as 'A' usually. (aka Wattage)
Thanks for pointing that out! Will edit that in a minute.

@bert > dangerous, no of course not..
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

Bertster7 wrote:

If you really want to understand PSUs, just build one. It's not too hard. I ran my PC off one I built for a while, until it exploded (a capacitor blew up squirting stinky liquid everywhere) and caught on fire - I put it out though, it was fine. Lasted a good few weeks.

not a good idea. Somehow whenever I mess around with high V something goes really wrong. Managed to kill the electricity for a few danish islands once *ashamed*
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

max wrote:

not a good idea. Somehow whenever I mess around with high V something goes really wrong. Managed to kill the electricity for a few danish islands once *ashamed*
the power of max. *theme song*
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

max wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

It's not high V. Not really. Just stick it through a transformer, do a bit of full wave rectification, use some capacitors for smoothing, add a bit of voltage regulation and your done (one rail at least).

Helps to test it with an oscilloscope (even a digital one is ok - analogue ones tend to cost a bit much), make sure the voltage is nice and stable.

Don't use with expensive hardware though. Mine blew up, it didn't damage any components though (I was so glad I went for nice milspec regulators even if they were about 5x the price).

I'm not recommending this as an alternative to buying a PSU, just to help understand how they work. It really helps and is quite satisfying to have something you built inside your computer.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-06-14 15:08:16)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
I'd rather build the case Although a homegrown PSU would be strangely cool.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6172
You don't need to spend a ton of cash to get a good power supply. For the price, this one cannot be beaten:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817189005
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

You don't need to spend a ton of cash to get a good power supply. For the price, this one cannot be beaten:

I've never seen a PSU with such a low efficiency rate. 70%? Are you kidding me?

Edit> Also, lack of popular brand makes lack of popular product.

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-06-15 08:44:40)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

leetkyle wrote:

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

I've never seen a PSU with such a low efficiency rate. 70%? Are you kidding me?

Edit> Also, lack of popular brand makes lack of popular product.
What's wrong with 70%, that's pretty good. The very top PSUs only get upto about 85%.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Average new efficiency rate is around 83%. If you want to go lower and drop by an entire 13%, be my guess. But I'd rather that I know my PSU is safe.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Well this one chatter comp i use works fine with a 300W noname ATX
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6205|United Kingdom
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6412|Stealth City, UK

mitch212k_2 wrote:

would you guys say this is ok? http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products … uid=112899
For what? The lower Voltage Hiper units aren't usually looked upon with much respect, although depending on your set up, it might be fine.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

I'm going to be getting a HX520 when I get my PC. They're awesome.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6720|Chicago.
Stickied.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6205|United Kingdom
for a pentium 4/HT 3.0Ghz
Stock mobo
1.5G PC3200 RAM
512mb 7900GS
1 x DVD-RW
1 x SATA 80G HD

just need a boost from my current 315W
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Yeah, 315W is a bit low. I recommend going for something like an Antec TruePower Trio 430W PSU.

Your system doesn't need such a high wattage, but in case you ever choose to upgrade. Alternatively you could take a look at the Hiper Type-R 580W if you really want to be on the safe side, but this would be an overkill!
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6205|United Kingdom
ok kyle, cheers for the input ... would that 430W give me a little room to do try some Gfx oc'ing (not too much) ?

seems like a reliable PSU from the reviews i've seen also ....

Last edited by mitch212k_2 (2007-07-07 02:37:20)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Is the 7900GS connected via the power supply?

You should be able to overclock it a bit (assuming you won't be overclocking it too much). If you can, go for the Hiper Type-R 580W and that will leave you a lot of room for overclocking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard