ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6363|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
i deleted a word document like 3 months ago and now i need it back.  is there any way that i can get it?  will system restore work?
aimless
+166|6127|Texas
No. If it's not in the recycle bin, you could try some recovery software or send it to a data recovery place.
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6780|Long Island

aimless wrote:

No. If it's not in the recycle bin, you could try some recovery software or send it to a data recovery place.
that could really work?  so lets say i deleted a word document, even from the recycle bin a month ago, it is still recoverable?  how is this possible?
san4
The Mas
+311|6690|NYC, a place to live
It is possible but not certain. I've done it a couple of times and it's worked using getdataback and another program.

Here are some free proggies that supposedly do it (never tried any of them):

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collec … files.html
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

3 months ago? I doubt you'll be able to get it back. Even after a day it can be problematic
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6577|London
PC inspector file recovery is a great program for this type of thing. You can 'find' it on the internet.

If it doesn't work you can try getdata recover my files which should work but it is slooow.

Also neither will work if your harddrive has undergone a lot of activity in the last 3 months, ie you've overwritten the hidden remnant file.
CrazeD
+368|6675|Maine

Slickdawg8 wrote:

aimless wrote:

that could really work?  so lets say i deleted a word document, even from the recycle bin a month ago, it is still recoverable?  how is this possible?
It's possible because hard drives never erase anything. They just simply set that block as over-writable. When new data comes along it fills in that over-writable block with the new data, thus "erasing" the old data. Once this happens it is no longer recoverable, but if it doesn't get overwritten then it is still recoverable (theoretically).
jamiet757
+138|6624

CrazeD wrote:

Slickdawg8 wrote:

aimless wrote:

It's possible because hard drives never erase anything. They just simply set that block as over-writable. When new data comes along it fills in that over-writable block with the new data, thus "erasing" the old data. Once this happens it is no longer recoverable, but if it doesn't get overwritten then it is still recoverable (theoretically).
But after 3 months, surely the blocks have been written over by now, there is almost 0 chance that you would be able to recover it.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

Search for "wininternals admin pack" . They are not free but are also no longer sold. They have a tool for recovering deleted files. PM me if you have questions.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-04-26 20:20:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard