jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ
The more I watch the Spurs play basketball the more I realize that they pay off the refs. Whether it be monetarily or sexually, I don't know. But that is the only explanation I have as to why they get away with so much crap. For those of you who are watching this series, you will know that the Suns have now lost two games in a row to The Evil Empire. What's more, we lost both games after having considerable leads. However, both times, in the second half in particular, they get away with so many fouls. They will make obvious contact with one of the Suns and the refs will look the other way. Or better yet, when the Spurs get hit in a no call situation, they fall to the floor like the biggest linebacker in history just tackled them, and they will get the call. Just look at Ginobli, someone barely touches him and he drops down, head flailing, like you would see in a movie where I guy got shot point blank with a shotgun, and crashes through a window. I know the Suns have some players that do it too, but the Spurs....most of their team does. The NBA says that they want to crack down on players flopping, but I guess they meant that they will crack down on it if Stern's favorite team isn't playing.

No wonder the Suns can't win a series against them. They pull more shit in one game than the entire league does in a week. And they get away with it because they are some "great defensive team". I don't know how many times I have heard that refs will decide fouls based on a players history, meaning they have a reputation of fouling a lot, so they will get the foul, when there is a good reason that the foul should not have been called. Such is the case with Amare. He has this rep of being a player that fouls a lot, which he does. But that doesn't mean that what he did was a foul, at least if they called the game fairly. Tim Duncan, who, from the games that I have seen him play, should foul out five minutes into the second quarter. Even against other teams, teams that I detest, like the Lakers or the Mavs, he won't get called for shit. Yet, so much contact happens where he is involved. Someone goes for a lay up, Duncan is in the restricted area, contact is made, shot misses because of the contact, and no call. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Not to mention unfair.

I remember the start of last season the NBA also said that they were going to call more technical fouls on players when they argue with the officials. Have you ever seen the Spurs when a foul actually is called on them? They talk and talk and talk, and for good measure, they talk a little more. Tim Duncan looks like if his eyes opened any wider in surprise, they'd fall out of his head. And I mean, how can you believe Ginobli with that giant Pinocchio nose on his head, that I can swear I have seen grow in the process of him arguing a call. Yet, when someone from the Suns argues a call, even doing it calmly, they will usually get a tech called on them.

Its absolutely appalling that a game I love as much as basketball is being ruined by the refs and the league office. I don't see why they should be so lenient to San Antonio, but so strict with the rest of the league. I think I just might start referring to the NBA league office as "EA for basketball". Because to be perfectly honest, if the Spurs win again this year, and I don't just mean this series against the Suns, I mean the whole thing, then I quit watching the sport altogether. Because a few years ago, basketball was in decline, but teams like the Suns and Golden State made the game fun, but are penalized for not being the Spurs.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6314|New Haven, CT
I hate San Antonio.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6401|'Murka

Go Spurs Go
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

nukchebi0 wrote:

I hate San Antonio.
God, I know. I most teams because they are good. Teams that win against the Suns, like the Hornets or Golden State. I'm fine with that, because they win by skill and not because the refs let them win. And that is my issue with SA. They don't win with skill, either offensively or defensively. They get away with slapping the hands of players while they are following them, screwing up their focus. They get away with fouls in the post so the other team is shy about going in, afraid that they will get fouled and get stripped of the ball.

Not to mention they will cry about every call, even if it is obvious. Especially Duncan and Ginobli. They just don't deserve to win, at all. I'm not much of a person to wish violence on an opposing team, maybe just equal payback to someone on the other team that deserves it, and I mean just a nice hard foul, no flagrant fouls or any of that. But SA....I honestly wish nearly everyone on their team a horrible accident that sends their kneecaps flying across the room. I'm in the mind that if the Suns are about to lose their fourth against the Spurs, the Suns should send in their whole bench, and beat the Spurs Big 3 into the ground. I mean they will probably get suspended for half of the next season, but D'antoni won't play them anyway, so what do we really lose? I care that the Suns win, I'd love nothing more than for Nash and Amare to finally win a title, but I think I care more that the Spurs lose. Commissioner Stern is just telling the youth of America that you can get away with cheating and acting like you didn't do something wrong, when you clearly did. Good job Stern.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6170
Ummmm....its basketball....a game if I recall. Its not that serious and not worth this much effort. It amazes me how people get all worked up over a game of sport and even connect it to conspiracy. Amazing!
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6510|Πάϊ
conspiracy you say?

so who should I put my money on?
ƒ³
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6170
apparently you should put your money on the Spurs. According to the OP the refs and the commissioner are in on it.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6748|Argentina
DST?  What a surprise that someone from Arizona comes crying about the Spurs cheating.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6170

sergeriver wrote:

DST?  What a surprise that someone from Arizona comes crying about the Spurs cheating.
Apparently Serge....it is a very serious issue and warrants our input since it ranks up there with the Iraq war, death and taxes.

Last edited by DeathBecomesYu (2008-04-23 04:29:29)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6748|Argentina

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Apparently Serge....it is a very serious issue and warrants our input since it ranks up there with the Iraq war, death and taxes.
A BBC poll shows that people in the US are more worried about Ginobili faking than the dollar falling.

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-04-23 04:38:40)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Ummmm....its basketball....a game if I recall. Its not that serious and not worth this much effort. It amazes me how people get all worked up over a game of sport and even connect it to conspiracy. Amazing!
i g
Banned
+876|5855|GA

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

actually anyone but LA, SA, or Detroit is fine

ATG wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

irony much? you guys in this subforum take shit pretty seriously, and professional sports are wayyyy more serious than an internet forum

Last edited by Eye-GiZzLe (2008-04-23 14:29:45)

jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

apparently you should put your money on the Spurs. According to the OP the refs and the commissioner are in on it.
Try watching a game. I know that basketball is a difficult sport to officiate, but it is horrible with the Spurs.
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

sergeriver wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

A BBC poll shows that people in the US are more worried about Ginobili faking than the dollar falling.
No wonder you don't care. Your country's only famous person is on the Spurs.
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Yes, its a game. But it is also a game people spend vast amounts of money on.

And I will tell you what I told the other guy. Watch a Spurs game. Look at how much crap they get away with. I mean, in the first game of the series, Duncan hit a three to tie the game. Too bad he traveled and should never have gotten the points. Don't worry about Bowen kneeing someone in the balls almost every game.
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

Eye-GiZzLe wrote:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

ATG wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

irony much? you guys in this subforum take shit pretty seriously, and professional sports are wayyyy more serious than an internet forum
Thank you. At least I think you are more on my side anyway, lol.

Hope the Hawks do well against the Celtics, btw.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6748|Argentina

jason85 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

No wonder you don't care. Your country's only famous person is on the Spurs.
That's because you don't read anything but sports.  And we also have Oberto, Scola, Delfino, Nocioni, Hermann, and others just in the NBA.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6170

Eye-GiZzLe wrote:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

ATG wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Actually, I'm a very big sports fan. I live in Michigan and I root for all the Detroit teams...yes, even the Lions and that is hard to say...LOL. I also am a big fan of Michigan State basketball and Football. I have always been involved with sports. I played baseball, football and basketball and actually received a full ride scholarship for basketball. I was good enough to be recruited by Division 1 basketball. I was invited 2 years straight to play on an all-star team that toured Europe, which I turned down to take invitations to attend national recruiting camps. I ended up signing at a small school and quit basketball after my first year when I developed a heart condition (arrhythmia).....basically, i know how excited people can get over games. I used to get pretty heated but i have mellowed with age.

You see, I'm not out there shooting the ball and if the Pistons lose, then they lose, i won't lose sleep over it or post around the net about refs. Believe me i have experienced first hand how horrible refs can be but that is the nature of the game or any game. Human error and biased refs will not go away anytime soon. But honestly, I think at this stage of the NBA, the refs are being fair..especially considering the bribe scandal a year or so ago that involved one idiot ref.

I just find it funny that someone would come into this forum and be that upset about a basketball game. I am pretty sure he is on the young side and is a big fan...but there are some very serious issues going on out there in this world. As far as being ironic...yes, this is a gaming forum, but there are other sections that deal with people that get all torn up about BF2 and other "serious stuff"...lol....anyhow, no offense, just take it easy, in a few years you won't even remember who was in the finals other than the team you rooted for. Quick...who won the NCAA championship of football in 2005...I bet you would have to look it up. Anyhow, have fun with it, cheer your team, just relax if they lose....I learned that the hard way rooting for the Detroit Lions all these years.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6170

jason85 wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Try watching a game. I know that basketball is a difficult sport to officiate, but it is horrible with the Spurs.
I watch the Pistons regularly...read my post above.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6748|Argentina

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

jason85 wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Shaq is fat and old, so bye Suns bye...
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

jason85 wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

My bad, I thought that was my post. Sorry bout that.
twiistaaa
+87|6659|mexico

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

yeah, anything else outside of eating, sleeping and sex is not important to your survival. if you live by that you may as well get off the forums and go to bed. people like basketball and people like fairness. if the fairness is not there then the basketball is not enjoyable.

what do you want them to do? just go "oh! its just my favourite sport but its not that serious so i may as well join an battlefield 2 forum and complain about how its not worth the effort to complain about the fact that there are some suspect calls being made..."

Eye-GiZzLe wrote:

like them or hate them an LA - Celtics final would be pretty cool.
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Eye-GiZzLe wrote:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

ATG wrote:

Actually, I'm a very big sports fan. I live in Michigan and I root for all the Detroit teams...yes, even the Lions and that is hard to say...LOL. I also am a big fan of Michigan State basketball and Football. I have always been involved with sports. I played baseball, football and basketball and actually received a full ride scholarship for basketball. I was good enough to be recruited by Division 1 basketball. I was invited 2 years straight to play on an all-star team that toured Europe, which I turned down to take invitations to attend national recruiting camps. I ended up signing at a small school and quit basketball after my first year when I developed a heart condition (arrhythmia).....basically, i know how excited people can get over games. I used to get pretty heated but i have mellowed with age.

You see, I'm not out there shooting the ball and if the Pistons lose, then they lose, i won't lose sleep over it or post around the net about refs. Believe me i have experienced first hand how horrible refs can be but that is the nature of the game or any game. Human error and biased refs will not go away anytime soon. But honestly, I think at this stage of the NBA, the refs are being fair..especially considering the bribe scandal a year or so ago that involved one idiot ref.

I just find it funny that someone would come into this forum and be that upset about a basketball game. I am pretty sure he is on the young side and is a big fan...but there are some very serious issues going on out there in this world. As far as being ironic...yes, this is a gaming forum, but there are other sections that deal with people that get all torn up about BF2 and other "serious stuff"...lol....anyhow, no offense, just take it easy, in a few years you won't even remember who was in the finals other than the team you rooted for. Quick...who won the NCAA championship of football in 2005...I bet you would have to look it up. Anyhow, have fun with it, cheer your team, just relax if they lose....I learned that the hard way rooting for the Detroit Lions all these years.
Its not that I am upset that they lose. I don't like it, sure, but I won't lose sleep over it, as you say. But I have a problem when we lose a game because officials messed it up. And I know there are other more important things going on in the world, most of them probably being spoken of as we speak in one of the threads. I believe that the NBA is calling it as fairly as they can, but that still doesn't mean that San Antonio doesn't get away with tons of fouls. I know that a lot of teams get away with them, but San Antonio just has a rep for it. I just don't think the NBA is doing enough to call games fairly. I think it would be great if the NBA had Coach Challenges like in the NFL. It's hard to see a foul when you are looking past 8 different guys and they are turned away from the ref. I know how hard it is. But that's why they have multiple refs, to combat that. The only thing is, a ref will call that foul, through all that, when there was another ref that had a better view of it, and they didn't call anything. And I know what everyone says when someone brings that up, it will only slow down the game. I wouldn't mind the game being a little slower if it was called better. That is one thing I love about the NFL, they usually don't screw up many calls. Sure it happens, but not nearly as often as in basketball.

If the Suns lost fairly to the Spurs, I'd be pissed. I'd say "goddamn Spurs" all day long, but I will also say that Phoenix just wasn't up to scratch. I wouldn't complain, at least not about refs or the Spurs, but rather about the Suns, which I do anyway, lol.
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

sergeriver wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

jason85 wrote:

Shaq is fat and old, so bye Suns bye...
Yea, I'll admit that. But he has been playing better than he has the last year or so in Phoenix than in Miami.
jason85
Banned
+58|5987|Mesa, AZ

twiistaaa wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

yeah, anything else outside of eating, sleeping and sex is not important to your survival. if you live by that you may as well get off the forums and go to bed. people like basketball and people like fairness. if the fairness is not there then the basketball is not enjoyable.

what do you want them to do? just go "oh! its just my favourite sport but its not that serious so i may as well join an battlefield 2 forum and complain about how its not worth the effort to complain about the fact that there are some suspect calls being made..."

Eye-GiZzLe wrote:

like them or hate them an LA - Celtics final would be pretty cool.
It would be a far more interesting final than last year's was. I don't think hardly anyone outside of Cleavland or San Antonio watched it. I know I'd watch LA vs Boston. Be a nice match up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard