heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6381|New York
I've got a 7800GT.

Here are the symptoms. I started up my pc this morning, and after it gets to desktop, I've got about 10 seconds before the screen filled with artifacts, much like if you were to go to a channel that didn't exist on TV (black and white alternating throughout).

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed nvidia's ntune, so that I could monitor the temperature. It was idling at 50C, which was fine. However, when I started my computer up today, my screen did what I mentioned above. I'd be more likely to believe that it is a hardware problem vs. a new software issue. The thing is, it hangs once the screen gets full, and I can't do anything after that (would love to try uninstalling ntune to see if that's it).

Does this sound right to you? Have any of you had issues with ntune, or heard of anything wacky like this happening because of it?

I'm going to give it a good cleaning later and see if that improves things, because it almost seems like it's overheating. I guess my fan could have failed when I turned it on, or the video card just died regardless.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
jamiet757
+138|6615
Try dusting off your card, and if it still does it, reinstall your video drivers, and leave ntune out. Monitor your cards temp with GPU-Z.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6190|Winland

vvv                                                                                                                                vvv
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6381|New York

jamiet757 wrote:

Try dusting off your card, and if it still does it, reinstall your video drivers, and leave ntune out. Monitor your cards temp with GPU-Z.
The problem with reinstalling anything is that it hangs after 10 seconds, rendering my computer useless. I've tried getting to that point, but it's just not possible.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6523|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Clean your card as following:

-Remove cooler
-Get ALL the dust out with eartips
-Clean the back of the cooler with alcohol
-Clean you GPU from paste with eartips (be carefull not to get ANY paste on the rest of your card)
-Apply new paste on the GPU and smear it out until you have a very thin layer.
-Re-apply your cooler

And go.

Oh and otherwise you card might be showing age and is dying on you.

Last edited by _NL_Lt.EngineerFox (2008-04-21 06:25:35)

Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6125|Carnoustie, Scotland
Plug in another GPU, doesn't have to be great, just whatever you've got lying around. If it does it again then it's not your GFX card, try replacing other parts.

EDIT: also try starting in safe mode.

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2008-04-21 06:27:14)

jamiet757
+138|6615
Well then it sounds like somehow your card got clocked too high. Probably something to do with ntune. Do you have another card laying around, or onboard video on your mobo? Did you try safe  mode?
DrunkenPirate
Rum Baron
+44|6686|Norfolk, England

pour water on it.

Brasso
+1,549|6623

Funky_Finny wrote:

try starting in safe mode.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard