Spider1980
#1 Commander
+92|6564|Washington
Is there any info anywhere for real life rank requirements for the Military?
I'm curious as to why someone goes up each rank, why they get promoted, what extra duties come with that higher rank and all that other good shit?

I would also like to know the requirements for medals and ribbons also.

Anyone know where I can get this info?

Last edited by Spider1980 (2008-04-20 19:13:12)

Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5987|London, England

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
i g
Banned
+876|5886|GA

lilbaily2
+12|6664|OH
I cant find a link but I can tell you its based on a point system. Some units are who you know and who you blow.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5984|Washington DC
i figure part of it is based on time in service
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6402|MN
For enlisted Navy this is how it went while I was in: 

You get points for how long you have been in service.  You also get points for how well you are reviewed.  If you are in a rating/mos/specialty that is full you may get promoted slower due to more people competing for fewer openings.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6591|Mountains of NC

yep
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6737|US
Enlisted: Points system (usually differentiating after E-3)
WO:(Sorry, I really don't know)
Officer: O-1 through O-3 are mostly time based (unless you screw up).  After O-3, advancement is based on promotion boards (time in rank, performance reports, awards, and education are big factors).
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6662
Well my dad is a CW4 and he's been in for 24 years. He's gonna be a CW5 soon.
brickZ28
Master of Puppets
+15|6760|IL
Each branch is prob dif.  In the Air Force (active duty) E1 -E4 is given via Time In Service (TIS) after that you have to fist do your Career Development Courses (CDC's) and then you go in front of a board and answer questions about current events and what not you are given points based on that and your TIS and Time in Grade.  There are so many stripes to give out and you have to be on your shit to get it.
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6767|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark
Its different for each country. Some country's give their ranks away.
An example for Blighty is
L/Cpl for the infantry
6 week course getting Beasted. This can be done with in your own Regiment or on an external course.
With our courses they teach you the next rank ups job, so if it all goes wrong you can replace the bloke in rank above you.
Extra duty's include being in charge of a fire team of 4 in a section of 8, also being responsible for squaring away the beans, bullets and bollockings.
You get a fair bit of a pay rise, but you do get stung for extra duty's. However on the plus side as a lance jack you don't have to stag on!
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6613|Reisterstown, MD

For the Marine Corps:

For ranks E1-E3 it is dependent on Time in Service and everyone gets it unless you screw up.

E-4 and E-5 is dependent on Time in Service, Time in Grade,  PFT score, and rifle score. Every three months, the Corps comes out with what the score that will get you promoted, e.g. 1419.  If you meet the score and Time in service and time in grade requirements, you will get promoted.  Also, you can get meritoriously promoted meaning, you will get promoted automatically regardless of your TiS or TiG.  Usually, battalions will have a meritoriously promotion competition once a year.

E-6 through E-9 is dependent on your Time in Service, Time and Grade, PFT score, rifle score, and a report given by your OiC.(I can't remember the name of it for nothing right now)  Once a year, there is a list sent out that has the people that are promoted from each respective rank.  The thing is that you will have to wait for your name to be promoted.  Meaning, in each MOS, there is only a certain number that get promoted each month.  So if your name is 120th on the list and your MOS promote 40 per month, you will have to wait 3 months to actually get the promotion.  Some billets, such as Company Gunnery Sergeant or Company First Sergeant, can get frocked.....Meaning, you can wear the rank but you won't get paid for it until you actually are promoted.  Marine Corps peeps know what I mean.

Officers are selected similarly to how E-6 through E-9 are selected.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard