B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6868|Cologne, Germany

I suggest you put in more transport vehicles. 3 humvees per UNCAP is not much when you have got 128 players on the USMC team. that's only 9 humvees = 36 ( or is it 45 ? ) people who can get a ride. With a map of that size, it will take hours for the guys just to walk up to a flag.

A combination of let's say 6 humvees per UNCAP plus one or two Black Hawks should do it. But if you put in BH's, remember to put in enough AA emplacements for the MEC. The idea of having different routes of attack for the USMC to the city center ( with the armor factory ) would be great I guess. three, maybe even four UNCAPs for the USMC, each with a slightly different approach to the city center. that would really require a good commander to stay on top of the action.

What about squad sizes ? can that be modified in the editor ? currently, It is maxed at 6, and that would be way to less for a map that size. max squad size 12, max number of squads 10, I'd suggest.

no planes. attack choppers ? well, two for each side would be sufficient, but maybe you can put in one or two additional heli pads that can be captured with a SP. That would make these "asset SP's" especially valuable ( as in the SF map Ghost Town ).

Tanks and APC's...two tanks per UNCAP at least, 3 three APC's. maybe even more, after a bit of testing.

Remember to give the MEC an equal number of assets.

as for the tech issue ( bandwith, hardware requirements ), maybe EA can offer some insight here. I've never played on a 128-player server before. I need to check that out.

whatever comes out if this, I hope the server will be set up somewhere in Europe..
armin
+0|6783| Bosnia & Herzegovina

B.Schuss wrote:

I suggest you put in more transport vehicles. 3 humvees per UNCAP is not much when you have got 128 players on the USMC team. that's only 9 humvees = 36 ( or is it 45 ? ) people who can get a ride. With a map of that size, it will take hours for the guys just to walk up to a flag.

A combination of let's say 6 humvees per UNCAP plus one or two Black Hawks should do it. But if you put in BH's, remember to put in enough AA emplacements for the MEC. The idea of having different routes of attack for the USMC to the city center ( with the armor factory ) would be great I guess. three, maybe even four UNCAPs for the USMC, each with a slightly different approach to the city center. that would really require a good commander to stay on top of the action.

What about squad sizes ? can that be modified in the editor ? currently, It is maxed at 6, and that would be way to less for a map that size. max squad size 12, max number of squads 10, I'd suggest.

no planes. attack choppers ? well, two for each side would be sufficient, but maybe you can put in one or two additional heli pads that can be captured with a SP. That would make these "asset SP's" especially valuable ( as in the SF map Ghost Town ).

Tanks and APC's...two tanks per UNCAP at least, 3 three APC's. maybe even more, after a bit of testing.

Remember to give the MEC an equal number of assets.

as for the tech issue ( bandwith, hardware requirements ), maybe EA can offer some insight here. I've never played on a 128-player server before. I need to check that out.

whatever comes out if this, I hope the server will be set up somewhere in Europe..
I don't wanna add any black hawks at all, I don't want it to be like Whore Manshtuur City. there will be plenty of humvees though
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6874|"Frisco"

I can't wait to just join a server with 255 other people on it. Let me know as soon as this is ready, i'll put up something on the homepage/forums to help fill it up ;D
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6788

I think my computer would fry like a piece of chicken at Benny Hanas.
chickenmuncher
+2|6777| U.S.A.
I wanna play it!!!
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6840
Cool.
uber73
+188|6778|Brisbane
why not unlimited tickets... no time limit... rolling war.
armin

uber73 wrote:

lol yeah, imagine the scores...
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6803|Scotland!!!
an the gd advantage to that wud be once the map has loaded it wudnt need to re-load after a round had finishd      like when you first join a server (sometimes) u get a little graphical lad at the start  and after that everythings sweet

i do see a diss advantage to that though, if a team was being pwnd it wud be crap not being able to cap bases or get any further without being spawn raped
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6840
Suggestions: Keep the vehicles mainly light armor and troop transport.
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6803|Scotland!!!
i agree with that 1
ownership10
+9|6759
if you want it to last forever as previously said, add an uncappable MEC base. if the round time is long there is an actual chance the US would capture all bases and end the round.  BTW sounds like a good idea and fun map!
RDMC_old
+0|6763|Almere, Holland
Ya gotta need one hell of a commander if he is gonna command 128 people
RDMC_old
+0|6763|Almere, Holland

armin wrote:

uber73 wrote:

lol yeah, imagine the scores...
damn and if it were to be ranked .. you start playing lets say no connection problems.. 5 hours later.. score: 2000.. damn
theoflow
+1|6784
I think this is a GREAT freakin idea.  I love large player maps although alot of noobs or players without talent are in for a serious shell shock when they load up and get fragged every 2 seconds because there are just SO many players. 

Also, i'm not exactly sure if this should be a ranked server per say because the potential for stat padding and whatnot is HUGE.  Could u imagine base raping (not entirely bad) a spawn point with a APC with 5 players spawning almost every other second? 

In terms of USMC spawn points, i like the idea of two uncappable flags, one being amphibious and the other right where it is, albit with a bunch of HMMV's and various transport vehicles. 

Also, i think the need to not make this a SF map would be important because flashbangs and gas grenades would just make it almost impossible to fight in a productive manner. 

Helicopters are defiantely a no no. But 2 tanks per with 4 APC units each seems a good vehicle balance.  Your gonna need at least 6 transports each though.

The idea of uncappable MEC flag is somewhat intriguing, but unnessary.  the whole point of the map is to siege the damn thing, and it would be retarded to have one last flag with 128 marines base raping at the end.  Just end it or give them a fighting chance of trying to kill the guys who aare trying to take the flag.

Ohh...also about capping flags.  Is it possible to make it possible so that flags are capped slower than usual?  Becasue of so many players, if i squad of 12 comes around and takes a flag it would be capped in seconds, and that is just a little 2 fast.

oh...what are u going to do about mounted machine guns and/or TOW missles?  Can't forget those bad boys, but Karkand is nice because it puts them in places not near the front, but in good positions after the fact.  just don't make any killing zones where using one would be easy to cut down everyone.
armin

Greenie_Beazinie wrote:

Suggestions: Keep the vehicles mainly light armor and troop transport.
Yeah I get ur point, but i can't resist thinking about teh fierce 5on5 tank battle sin teh streets

but ur probably right
BlackJackBob
+2|6781|Canada
Wouldn't this concept be applied to the entire game though? what if ALL the maps got modified for a much larger amount of players.. you'd need fast spawn times for vehicles and many.. many more of them..

EA should be working on this.. but it'd never happen... less players per server, more servers per game more $ for the developers and server hosts...thus BF2 will probably always be a 64 player game.

So.. if you're talking about making it work you'd have to host the server yourself.. and have a bandwidth that could handle 256 connections..

So.. yea.. uhhh.. good luck.

p.s. Don't lose any sleep over making this map, you might never get to play it online.

Edit: I'm not saying it's a bad idea and infact would be very enthusiastic about it... but the techincal problems blind me from being able to see it happening... for now ... .... i look forward to the day when 256 player is the standard

Last edited by BlackJackBob (2006-01-10 12:16:42)

armin

theoflow wrote:

I think this is a GREAT freakin idea.  I love large player maps although alot of noobs or players without talent are in for a serious shell shock when they load up and get fragged every 2 seconds because there are just SO many players. 

Also, i'm not exactly sure if this should be a ranked server per say because the potential for stat padding and whatnot is HUGE.  Could u imagine base raping (not entirely bad) a spawn point with a APC with 5 players spawning almost every other second? 

In terms of USMC spawn points, i like the idea of two uncappable flags, one being amphibious and the other right where it is, albit with a bunch of HMMV's and various transport vehicles. 

Also, i think the need to not make this a SF map would be important because flashbangs and gas grenades would just make it almost impossible to fight in a productive manner. 

Helicopters are defiantely a no no. But 2 tanks per with 4 APC units each seems a good vehicle balance.  Your gonna need at least 6 transports each though.

The idea of uncappable MEC flag is somewhat intriguing, but unnessary.  the whole point of the map is to siege the damn thing, and it would be retarded to have one last flag with 128 marines base raping at the end.  Just end it or give them a fighting chance of trying to kill the guys who aare trying to take the flag.

Ohh...also about capping flags.  Is it possible to make it possible so that flags are capped slower than usual?  Becasue of so many players, if i squad of 12 comes around and takes a flag it would be capped in seconds, and that is just a little 2 fast.

oh...what are u going to do about mounted machine guns and/or TOW missles?  Can't forget those bad boys, but Karkand is nice because it puts them in places not near the front, but in good positions after the fact.  just don't make any killing zones where using one would be easy to cut down everyone.
Yeah, a few issues will have to be resolved.

1. Squads. 64 or 128 players, there ar enot enough squads for everyone.

2. Armor. I though of completely eliminating tanks in this map, BUT; APCs are better against infantry so maybe it should be only infantry + loads of humvees and other light transport

3. Statspadders. Of course an issue, map has to balance perfectly with 128 or 256 players, sniper spots have to be fair, as well as spawnpoints etc. This seems like the hardest job. Balancing.

4. U.S. will have 2 more spawnpoints, but all at the top. To "siege" the town from all sides is impossible to command, because the large map and rather small UAV radius.

5. I though of having as few buildings that can be entered as possible, climbed as well. Due to the huge size of the map and the player amount, ppl can hide everywhere and camping would be easy. It will also be harder to navigate.

Anyone with input/suggestions?
armin
Update

A few issues will have to be resolved.

1. Squads. 64 or 128 players, there ar enot enough squads for everyone.

2. Armor. I though of completely eliminating tanks in this map, BUT; APCs are better against infantry so maybe it should be only infantry + loads of humvees and other light transport

3. Statspadders. Of course an issue, map has to balance perfectly with 128 or 256 players, sniper spots have to be fair, as well as spawnpoints etc. This seems like the hardest job. Balancing.

4. U.S. will have 2 more spawnpoints, but all at the top. To "siege" the town from all sides is impossible to command, because the large map and rather small UAV radius.

5. I though of having as few buildings that can be entered as possible, climbed as well. Due to the huge size of the map and the player amount, ppl can hide everywhere and camping would be easy. It will also be harder to navigate.

Anyone with input/suggestions?
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6803|Scotland!!!
hey armin
1. cant u change the code in this mod to allow more players per squad? or more squads per team?

2. thats good!  light transport and infantry = nice tidy fun firefight

3. statspadders wont be a issue because the map wont be rankd caus its a mod so theres no point in padders joining because when they dissconnect it will lose there score wont it?

4. .......

5. great idea!
--------------
would unlocks be enabled in this map?  i think that would be best, G36C, M95, L85
Chef-Daz
+4|6712
Maybe you could insert a paratrooper or ranger drop as a spawn (uncappable)
like the church in bf1942....l
have it high enough that you could navagate to other portions of the map in your parachute

I already see myself on top of a building playing as support and raining bullets in the general direction of the jumpers.....It would be nice if you could return fire like in 1942 while jumping, dropping C4 from great hights and exploding as it hangs in mid air above a sniper    

Sounds fun, I hope it works out for you server wise and would like to play when its running.  GL
Charmin
+1|6719

armin wrote:

I'm currently creating a 256 player Version of Strike At Karkand (called "New Karkand")

This is the in-game overview PREVIEW of the map:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/5382/karkand3fy.jpg

Please give any kind of input
Hey armin, nice to see someone with the exact same name put honor to the name.

Wouldnt it be groovy to creat a copy of Moghadisu Somalia? Remember Black Hawk down the movie?! Wouldnt that be a great fighting arena for 256 fighting noobs?!
Give the USMC 6-8 black hawks, loads of humvees and perhaps some little Bell support heli's too?!
And the MEC technicals or just buggys, lots of AK's and lots of uh rocks to throw : )

Is there a map editor in which we can create our own maps?
armin
*Notice*

This is not a complete mod, but a map. It's meant to be played with current BF2 versions (maybe SF, because of the new transport vehicles + zip lines and hooks)

The plan is to have it for testing to see how people react, and then get EA to give full support (increase the squads amount and make it an official ranked map)
Charmin
+1|6719
so how can i make my own map, cuz moghadisu would be official in no time!!!!
Chef-Daz
+4|6712

armin wrote:

*Notice*

This is not a complete mod, but a map. It's meant to be played with current BF2 versions (maybe SF, because of the new transport vehicles + zip lines and hooks)

The plan is to have it for testing to see how people react, and then get EA to give full support (increase the squads amount and make it an official ranked map)
I think zip lines and hooks are a great idea, using the civilian cars placed randomly aroundn the map would be nice as well.

I think it would be to hard to have it night time. It would be to difficult to navagate the streets in cars and such with it being a CQC style play and small streets with lots of turns.

I hope the paratrooper spawn would still be possible.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard