Commie Killer
+192|6387
My main complaint is he walks around acting like he is a member of the US government and he can get peace, or he can promise things from the US. Somalia in '93 comes to mind..

Not to say thats always bad, but doing these things in a official capability would be much better.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US
The oil crisis was due in large part to a price-cap imposed by congress.  We artificially limited supply by doing that...idiotic! 

Carter got blamed for:
oil problems
Iran hostage crisis
Iran rescue mission failure
...and a bunch of other stuff.

He LOOKED weak to the American public.  That is why so many hate him.  I'd say it was a combination of bad timing, a few screw ups, and a bad PR image.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Because he was horrible? You've got to really suck to get booted out as the incumbent.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
topal63
. . .
+533|6718

CameronPoe wrote:

I'd like it explained to me because quite frankly I don't get it. I've seen some people speak of him extremely dismissively and disparangingly. He has more integrity and a greater sense of morality than most of his predecessors and successors. Please explain.
Carter is a GOOD man. I like him. I liked him. He's just another ex-president; an American citizen worthy of being called Mr. President, because he aspired to the office, achieved it, and returned to being like the rest of us: a citizen.

I don't get it either, but I live in country filled to the brim; the edges; from sea to shinning sea - with utter idiots (and republican assholes - the typical republican asshole actively works to sabotage anything/anyone/any idea/legacy/persona they're opposed to).
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Good men can suck at their jobs. I'll elaborate much more on Carter tonight . (Stupid Work)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6542|Texas - Bigger than France
I think Carter will likely be better remembered for what he did after he was the Prez then what he did during...
topal63
. . .
+533|6718

Kmarion wrote:

Good men can suck at their jobs. I'll elaborate much more on Carter tonight . (Stupid Work)
Feel free to do so... (and of course you already do).

Pug wrote:

I think Carter will likely be better remembered for what he did after he was the Prez then what he did during...
I'd agree with that... to some degree more or less.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6179
I am 38 and remember a lot of what happened during his leadership. He is not a bad guy and I respect the work he tries to do now. He has done a lot of good since his presidency and has done some controversial things by talking and meeting people that is frowned upon by the current leadership and a lot of Americans. Of course that will happen.

As far as a lot of Americans hating him. He did not leave a great legacy as a President. He made some bone head moves along with his leadership and I am surprised that some people forget about his brother Billy. This guy was like a cancer for Jimmy. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He was like the Chris Farley character in "Black Sheep"

"In 1977, Billy Carter endorsed Billy Beer capitalizing upon his colorful image as a beer-drinking Southern boy that had developed in the press while his brother ran for President. Billy Carter's name was occasionally used as a gag answer for a Washington, D.C., trouble-maker on 1970s episodes of The Match Game. Carter was known for his outlandish public behavior. For example, he once urinated on an airport runway in full view of the press and dignitaries.

In late 1978 and early 1979, Carter visited Libya with a contingent from Georgia three times. He eventually registered as a foreign agent of the Libyan government and received a $220,000 loan. This led to a Senate hearing over alleged influence peddling which some in the press dubbed "Billygate." A Senate sub-committee was called To Investigate Activities of Individuals Representing Interests of Foreign Governments (Billy Carter-Libya Investigation). After the failure of Billy Beer, Carter sold his house to settle back taxes with the IRS. In later years, Carter also admitted he was an alcoholic and sought medical treatment for the affliction"

There were quite a few things that made Jimmy Carter look ugly and some major gaffes as mentioned in other responses in this thread. Basically he didn't do a great job as president, he had image issues and Billy running around didn't help either. I didn't like him as president but I like a lot of the things he does now. He is very heavy into Habitat for Humanity and other charitable organizations. People need to understand one thing though. Just because he does good things now....doesn't mean he always did. He messed up on some big things but he turned it around and will leave a good legacy when his time comes.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

topal63 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Oh I will!..lol I need a block of time for this guy though. This will get you warmed up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Cart … of_Volcker

You wait till I get into his buddies during his presidency.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Oh I will!..lol I need a block of time for this guy though. This will get you warmed up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Cart … of_Volcker

Yeah, bash a decent guy who got elected in a wrong time.  He's blamed for everything that went wrong even those things that weren't his fault.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Yeah, bash a decent guy who got elected in a wrong time.  He's blamed for everything that went wrong even those things that weren't his fault.
It's not just a matter of getting elected at a wrong time. It's his decisions while President. Bush was elected at the wrong time as well. Way to only see things one way.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It's not just a matter of getting elected at a wrong time. It's his decisions while President. Bush was elected at the wrong time as well. Way to only see things one way.
How can you compare the actions of a really decent and good person who maybe took wrong decisions in a rough time with the decisions GWB took?  Carter's a man who care about Human Rights, and GWB just care about Corporations getting more profits at the cost of human lives.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

How can you compare the actions of a really decent and good person who maybe took wrong decisions in a rough time with the decisions GWB took?  Carter's a man who care about Human Rights, and GWB just care about Corporations getting more profits at the cost of human lives.
I wasn't comparing the actions. I was pointing out the sorry excuse you used to explain away Carters complete failure as a President. I never said he wasn't a good man. If you had taken a couple seconds to look a few post up you would have seen "Good men can suck at their jobs. ".

This constant attack on corporations is getting real old. Corporations are made up of people in case you didn't you know. They employ the masses and are responsible for bringing much of the worlds impoverished out of shitty circumstance. It must be fun to bash corporations and cheer thier demise while simultaneously bitching about unemployment. Unemployment was something Carter was a master at.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I wasn't comparing the actions. I was pointing out the sorry excuse you used to explain away Carters complete failure as a President. I never said he wasn't a good man. If you had taken a couple seconds to look a few post up you would have seen "Good men can suck at their jobs. ".

This constant attack on corporations is getting real old. Corporations are made up of people in case you didn't you know. They employ the masses and are responsible for bringing much of the worlds impoverished out of shitty circumstance. It must be fun to bash corporations and cheer thier demise while simultaneously bitching about unemployment. Unemployment was something Carter was a master at.
I never said you said he wasn't a good man and I wouldn't call him a complete failure as a president. 

Which Corporations are you talking about?  Halliburton, Shell, BP, Texaco?  I bet Dick Cheney cares a lot about people getting good jobs at Halliburton.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I never said you said he wasn't a good man and I wouldn't call him a complete failure as a president. 

Which Corporations are you talking about?  Halliburton, Shell, BP, Texaco?  I bet Dick Cheney cares a lot about people getting good jobs at Halliburton.
Well a big enough failure to get voted out. That hasn't happened much in modern history. It sure seemed like you were comparing the morality of the two President's to me.

See here's the difference Serge. I'm talking about all corporations (as in hundreds of thousands). I don't allow the handful of bad apples that popup on the news feeds to completely shape my opinion. It just seems very narrow minded. Corporations have provided more economic stimulation and relief than any other single factor in history. It's easy to point out the scandals, they are what makes the news. However, the quiet progression of business and opportunity rarely makes the headlines.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6179

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

If anyone got elected at the wrong time...it was Bush....Just look at what has happened during his Presidency or are natural disasters the size of Europe Bush's fault. People need to get real here. I get tired of the narrow thinking on this forum. Excuse one guy because he does good things now and lay the blame for that presidency on everyone else but its all Bush's fault when we speak about his presidency...what the Hell???

Obviously, Kmarion you are going to have to layout the Carter presidency, because people in here have a very, very short memory.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Well a big enough failure to get voted out. That hasn't happened much in modern history. It sure seemed like you were comparing the morality of the two President's to me.

See here's the difference Serge. I'm talking about all corporations (as in hundreds of thousands). I don't allow the handful of bad apples that popup on the news feeds to completely shape my opinion. It just seems very narrow minded. Corporations have provided more economic stimulation and relief than any other single factor in history.
Wait, do you think I'm against all corporations?  I'm against those that took advantage of a war, not because they are in the news, but because I don't like when corrupted politicians help greedy corporations to get more profits.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

If anyone got elected at the wrong time...it was Bush....Just look at what has happened during his Presidency or are natural disasters the size of Europe Bush's fault. People need to get real here. I get tired of the narrow thinking on this forum. Excuse one guy because he does good things now and lay the blame for that presidency on everyone else but its all Bush's fault when we speak about his presidency...what the Hell???

Obviously, Kmarion you are going to have to layout the Carter presidency, because people in here have a very, very short memory.
I think my english must be very poor, because you don't understand what I meant to say.  I don't think Carter was a great president, I just pointed out he's a decent man and that he wasn't a complete failure as a president as Kmarion said.  And pls, don't try to defend Bush using the Katrina card.  Or is Iraq a natural disaster?
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6179

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

See here's the difference Serge. I'm talking about all corporations (as in hundreds of thousands). I don't allow the handful of bad apples that popup on the news feeds to completely shape my opinion. It just seems very narrow minded. Corporations have provided more economic stimulation and relief than any other single factor in history.
Wait, do you think I'm against all corporations?  I'm against those that took advantage of a war, not because they are in the news, but because I don't like when corrupted politicians help greedy corporations to get more profits.
And of course this only happens in the US right? Take a look around the world and tell me that corrupt politicians need wars to help greedy corporations. That happens all the time, war or not, and I bet you anything that your government has corrupt politicians gaining things right along with corrupt corporations even as we speak. It happens now, it happens everywhere and will happen pretty much every where. The problem is human nature.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6179

sergeriver wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I think my english must be very poor, because you don't understand what I meant to say.  I don't think Carter was a great president, I just pointed out he's a decent man and that he wasn't a complete failure as a president as Kmarion said.  And pls, don't try to defend Bush using the Katrina card.  Or is Iraq a natural disaster?
Of course your vision is still narrow....do you forget all the Dems that pushed for war as well. You can't blame Bush solely for the mess that we are in concerning Iraq or should I put up all the vids of Gore, Clinton etc who were pushing for action even when Bush Sr. was president. There is a lot of blame to go around for a lot of the mess...Republicans and Dems alike as well as the other countries who supported and supplied the evidence everyone was looking at.

If you read my post above, I also say that Carter is a good man, bad President with bad economic fundamentals and corrupt people working under him.

Last edited by DeathBecomesYu (2008-04-18 12:14:41)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

And of course this only happens in the US right? Take a look around the world and tell me that corrupt politicians need wars to help greedy corporations. That happens all the time, war or not, and I bet you anything that your government has corrupt politicians gaining things right along with corrupt corporations even as we speak. It happens now, it happens everywhere and will happen pretty much every where. The problem is human nature.
Agreed.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Of course your vision is still narrow....do you forget all the Dems that pushed for war as well. You can't blame Bush solely for the mess that we are in concerning Iraq or should I put up all the vids of Gore, Clinton etc who were pushing for action even when Bush Sr. was president. There is a lot of blame to go around for a lot of the mess...Republicans and Dems alike as well as the other countries who supported and supplied the evidence everyone was looking at.

If you read my post above, I also say that Carter is a good man, bad President with bad economic fundamentals and corrupt people working under him.
Dems, Republicans, politicians...they all suck.  The thing is Clinton was 8 years at the office and he didn't invade Iraq.  GWB did.  Regarding Carter I still think he was elected in a rough time.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6179

sergeriver wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Dems, Republicans, politicians...they all suck.  The thing is Clinton was 8 years at the office and he didn't invade Iraq.  GWB did.  Regarding Carter I still think he was elected in a rough time.
I think it is safe to say that no matter who is voted into office for the United States of any country for that matter, they wont say their time in office was easy. I dont think any President I can think of had a nice, easy, songs and rainbows type of presidency. Hell, I myself would never want to be president and good luck to the next president of the United States, no matter who it is.......good luck.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

The decision to remove Saddam was made before Bush. It was made official policy during the Clinton years in fact. This might help you understand why so many Dems voted for the invasion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Liberation_Act

Cater may have been well intentioned during his presidency but some of the Dictators he befriended were just plain brutal.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland

CameronPoe wrote:

I'd like it explained to me because quite frankly I don't get it. I've seen some people speak of him extremely dismissively and disparangingly. He has more integrity and a greater sense of morality than most of his predecessors and successors. Please explain.
Why do you ask?  Does Ireland need a used American President, because you guys are welcome to have him.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard