ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command

The U.S. flag code wrote:

No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof...
Last fall a student La Raza group flew the The Mexican Flag over the UNM campus for several days--
This symbolizes that a US territory has been taken over.
After complaining to campus officials who did nothing Air Force veteran Peter Lynch took the flag down and tore it up.
This week he was sentenced.

http://bobmccarty.com/2008/04/03/vetera … -incident/

I can understand nothing anymore.
We kill insurgents in Iraq and we fly their flags over our universities here. Perhaps, when China becomes our Lord and Master they will protect our borders.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6561|Mountains of NC

wow .................... lost for words on that one, I wonder if he would have stilh have been found guilty if he didn't tear their flag

https://www.uh.edu/~dsocs3/images/American_Flag_2.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina
This will definitely be a test for Bill Richardson.  Let's hope he makes the right choice.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

WTF?!

What an absurd law.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6561|Mountains of NC

you can label this : the right intentions but wrong way

I hope that he does get a pardon and the Gov makes it very clear on why he is getting a pardon

something like : That they can not raise another countries flag and he was/is in the right for doing what he did but can not destory private/public property
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
ATG
Banned
Iraq is irrelevant.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

SEREMAKER wrote:

something like : That they can not raise another countries flag
Why not?

So if an Italian restaurant had an Italian flag flying outside it, that would be illegal? That's completely and utterly ridiculous and just makes the whole nation seem somewhat insecure.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6283|Éire
Absolutely ridiculous...I can tell you a British flag flown higher than the Irish flag here would not be there long before meeting a similar fate.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6283|Éire

Bertster7 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

something like : That they can not raise another countries flag
Why not?

So if an Italian restaurant had an Italian flag flying outside it, that would be illegal? That's completely and utterly ridiculous and just makes the whole nation seem somewhat insecure.
I think the debate only really arises only when it is being displayed in a position of prominence over the US flag or over a building of importance such as a town hall or university...implying invasion or conquering.
Turquoise
O Canada

Braddock wrote:

Absolutely ridiculous...I can tell you a British flag flown higher than the Irish flag here would not be there long before meeting a similar fate.
Bertster, take note of Braddock's post.  This is what we're talking about.  Different nations handle flags differently.  America is very sensitive about its flag and always will be.  It's a cultural thing.

I personally don't give a shit, but I can easily see why others do.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Braddock wrote:

Irish flags are often flown over here. Usually in front of pubs.

I can see no reason for any sort of law preventing people from flying whatever flags they choose.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Bertster, take note of Braddock's post.  This is what we're talking about.  Different nations handle flags differently.  America is very sensitive about its flag and always will be.  It's a cultural thing.

And it is that giving a shit about it, as a nation, that makes Americans seem quite insecure.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I can see no reason for any sort of law preventing people from flying whatever flags they choose.
Private property, yes.  Government buildings or public universities, no.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

And it is that giving a shit about it, as a nation, that makes Americans seem quite insecure.
I could say the same about your adherence to a figurehead monarchy.  Every nation has its irrational traditions.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

That would seem to contradict this:

any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Well, regardless of the awkward wording of the law, it is interpreted the way I explained.  We do have Italian restaurants with Italian flags flown over them.  There's a really good Mexican restaurant near where I work that flies the Mexican flag.  Do I care?  No.  Does anyone else?  Only the absurdly patriotic would.

If a government building or public university did fly a foreign flag, it would be different because both are tax funded.

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-04-12 09:26:16)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I could say the same about your adherence to a figurehead monarchy.  Every nation has its irrational traditions.
How does that compare?

I can't see any parallels there. They are both cultural traditions, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England

US&A wrote:

equal
Wait, you can't have it equal either? So I'm guessing all times you see a US Flag flying next to another Flag (In the U.S) it's illegal? I understand why you wouldn't want a flag to be flown above it, or in a "dominant" manner, but I'd say if it was equal that would be pretty ok.

https://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=93331&rendTypeId=4

Although I'm not sure if the UN Headquarters is actually property of the U.S and under U.S jurisdiction
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

How does that compare?

I can't see any parallels there. They are both cultural traditions, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.
A flag is just a symbol.  So is a figurehead monarchy.  Rationally speaking, no one needs either.  America could perfectly function without a flag, just like the U.K. could without a monarchy.  We're irrationally sensitive about our flag, you're irrationally sensitive about the monarchy.

It's very much the same principle.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well, regardless of the awkward wording of the law, it is interpreted the way I explained.  We do have Italian restaurants with Italian flags flown over them.  There's a really good Mexican restaurant near where I work that flies the Mexican flag.  Do I care?  No.  Does anyone else?  Only the absurdly patriotic would.

If a government building or public university did fly a foreign flag, it would be different because both are tax funded.
OK. That's what I was worried about.
Turquoise
O Canada

Mek-Izzle wrote:

US&A wrote:

equal
Wait, you can't have it equal either? So I'm guessing all times you see a US Flag flying next to another Flag (In the U.S) it's illegal? I understand why you wouldn't want a flag to be flown above it, or in a "dominant" manner, but I'd say if it was equal that would be pretty ok.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=93331&rendTypeId=4

Although I'm not sure if the UN Headquarters is actually property of the U.S and under U.S jurisdiction
The U.N. is technically international property, just like an embassy is technically the property of the country it represents.
ATG
Banned

PureFodder wrote:

Is that flag code thing an actual law? Can you get prosecuted for it?
Yes.
It can be handled under federal law.
ATG
Banned

ATG wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Is that flag code thing an actual law? Can you get prosecuted for it?
Yes.
It can be handled under federal law.
and if you read the links you'll see it happened at UNM.

University of New Mexico.

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

How does that compare?

A flag is just a symbol.  So is a figurehead monarchy.
Nope. It isn't. It's a stimulant to the economy. How would the Daily Express survive.....

Turquoise wrote:

Rationally speaking, no one needs either. America could perfectly function without a flag, just like the U.K. could without a monarchy.
I wouldn't say that. Without a flag the US would be a laughing stock.

Turquoise wrote:

We're irrationally sensitive about our flag, you're irrationally sensitive about the monarchy.

It's very much the same principle.
Who's irrationally sensitive about what now? I quite like the concept of the royal family and all the ceremony that goes with it. At the same time I recognise them for what they are, a bunch of inbred German weirdos with no grasp of reality.

I assume the same is true of (rational) Americans with the flag, they like what it represents and the associated tradition, but can see that it's really just a bit of printed fabric, probably made in China.

I'd say that's the same principle.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
Change the name of that state to Amerikastan so people don't get confused thinking they're still in Mexico

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard