Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France
So I gots tickets to go see Sesame Street Live with my 3 & 4 year old tonight. 

The issue I see is according to the article, Sesame Street now is teaching kids about some topics which I'm not sure I want to expose the kiddos to.  I'm going to go, as I'm not seeing any major topics besides divorce and the environment, etc, but according to the article there's some questionable topics covered depending on where I live.

If I were in Africa for instance, Elmo would be teaching my kids about AIDS.   Are my kids ready for that?  What if I just waltz into the show without a care in the world, and suddenly I need to discuss with my kids about how you get AIDS, what happens if you get AIDS, etc?  Am I prepared to discuss the topic?  Do I know anything about AIDS?

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/apr/04/ … -dreamjob/

It's always alarming to me how society is now pushing so many adult topics down to the kids.  Now, the topic is being covered by arguably the biggest influence on their current lives besides their parents - Elmo - so kids will pay attention to the topic.

I remember discussing drug abuse first in high school.  Now I know at least 6th graders are educated on the topic...could be even earlier.  Anyone else disturbed about this societal trend?  Whatever happened to entertainment for the sake of entertainment?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640
would you rather they didnt know anything about the things that could ruin their lives?
CloakedStarship
+76|6562
Kids that young shouldn't be exposed to death and disease.  Thats a bit young to crush their innocence.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY
Wasn't Sesame Street always about 'edutainment'?
Pug

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

would you rather they didnt know anything about the things that could ruin their lives?
I'd rather discuss it with them when its time.

Think about the average age of the audience (not including the parents and pedophiles).
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

CloakedStarship wrote:

Kids that young shouldn't be exposed to death and disease.  Thats a bit young to crush their innocence.
so what happens if they know someone, say a family member, die from a disease at n early age?  I think a big problem we have with American society is that everyone is just too damn sheltered and coddled to be competitive in the world today.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

Pug wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Think about the average age of the audience (not including the parents and pedophiles).
I could understand that.  But, when do you think it will be time?  when someone dies and they have their own questions to ask before you teach em?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6754|Argentina
It's the parents job to teach kids about those things.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

Steel wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I'd rather kids be kids and remain innocent and immune to society as long as possible, its disturbing enough to grow up and realize the world is a fraud, why ruin the few naive years you are supposed to be entitled to as a kid,
unless of course you are an adult and still naive then maybe tell the kids
ofcourse, but there should be a point where you no longer paint the perfect picture of the world to your children.  Its better for them.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

sergeriver wrote:

its the parents job to teach kids a lot of things, should we get rid of all children's programming now?
CloakedStarship
+76|6562

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

so what happens if they know someone, say a family member, die from a disease at n early age?  I think a big problem we have with American society is that everyone is just too damn sheltered and coddled to be competitive in the world today.
Then their innocence is crushed.  I mean come on, we're talking about 3 and 4 year olds, pre-school kids.

If you were to walk into a pre-school and try to discuss death, violence and AIDS, the parents would probably make you look like that which you depicted to their children.  I mean, I understand what you mean by people being too sheltered these days, but at that age, I think they should still be able to live in their fun little world.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6754|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

its the parents job to teach kids a lot of things, should we get rid of all children's programming now?
Is it ok for you a 3 years old kid learning about that?  The parents should decide when it's time for them to learn, not an alcoholic dressed as a bird.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640
so I guess as parents we just close our eyes, cross our fingers, and hope nothing bad happens to anybody they know before they reach a certain age?  thats naive in itself.
Pug

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Pug wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I could understand that.  But, when do you think it will be time?  when someone dies and they have their own questions to ask before you teach em?
the death lesson is easy...you get a goldfish from the fair and its dead by morning. 

crap.  i got to get back to work i'll come back laters.

agree with you btw, just want a little spin control
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6754|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

so I guess as parents we just close our eyes, cross our fingers, and hope nothing bad happens to anybody they know before they reach a certain age?  thats naive in itself.
No, but as parents WE decide when it's time for them to learn about these things.  What's next?  Donald Duck teaching kids how to use a condom?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

No, but as parents WE decide when it's time for them to learn about these things.  What's next?  Donald Duck teaching kids how to use a condom?
so I get to choose who dies out of the people I know, sweet!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6754|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

so I get to choose who dies out of the people I know, sweet!
You are not addressing my question.  Is it ok for you a 3 years old kid learning about this from a stranger?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640
what question am I not addressing,  the one you just asked me right now?

Id rather teach my child about these things.  But for people that dont have a good grasp on the real world (as yourself), maybe its better that they learn about it from a stranger than not at all.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6692|NJ
In America we don't have a massive AIDS problem like we do in Africa. We do however have a pretty high divorse rate, and it's not that you're avoiding teaching your kids about Divorse, it's more along the line that if you're not divorsed you don't have to.. But there are alot of kids out there whose parents are, so they're taking the "It takes a town to raise a child" mentality and educating children about it..

In Africa I'm all for AIDS awareness and education cause it's rampet over there.. Last I heard 1 in 4 people have it, so use something with mass appeal to get across to children to maybe curb the spread is a damn good idea..
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Id rather teach my child about these things.  But for people that dont have a good grasp on the real world (as yourself), maybe its better that they learn about it from a stranger than not at all.
No one said they won't learn it all.  We as parents just want to decide when our children will start learning about the adult world.  They'll have their whole lives to dwell on STDs and deadly diseases.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6754|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Thanks for the compliment troll, but we still prefer to teach our kid by ourselves.  Good luck teaching your kid.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6831|Kubra, Damn it!

The kids in Africa getting the AIDS pitch already now about it. Look at the infection rates in Africa, chances are highly likely that the kids watching the Sesame Street show not only know someone with AIDS, they probably already know someone who has died from it.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6476|Somewhere else

boy are you in for a suprise. They cover the health risks of anal sex just after that.

But, yeah this is a bit young for that. good intentions, bad idea.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Thanks for the compliment troll, but we still prefer to teach our kid by ourselves.  Good luck teaching your kid.
dont worry about me dick head.
Pug
I guess my point is the following:
1) It's designed for pre-K kids.  Most people think its just kiddie entertainment.  Some parents may not be ready to deal with the complex issues Elmo brings to the table.  Yes, this is part of edutaiment you get when you visit Sesame Street.  So in the promotion, where does it say "come learn about divorce" or "come learn about being environmentally conscious"?  Or maybe, since I'm in South Texas "come learn about Illegal immigration"?  Or maybe I'm in Africa where does it say "come learn about AIDS"?

It doesn't.  It's being promoted as kiddie entertainment, although it's not their responsibility to raise your kids.  The kids aren't in a vacuum - they do get exposed to adult topics - but if they are exposed too early, aren't you being put in a situation where you might screw up because you are ignorant on the topic?

2) At what age do you push adult issues on the kids?  Doesn't it seem like its way too early?  Can they not be innocent for at least a little while longer?  Why must we make them grow up faster and at someone else's pace?

Edit:
Put in "Not" above.  Changes a bit doesn't it?

Last edited by Pug (2008-04-09 11:34:22)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard