sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
It's obvious that there are more Christians in Western Europe and the Americas than any other Religion.  But there are places like the US, Canada, Argentina, France, Russia and UK with significant Jewish populations.  And some countries in Europe have very large Muslim communities, like France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain and the UK.

There were many Atheists who were presidents.  Why not a Jew or a Muslim?
Will there ever be a Jewish or Muslim president in Western Europe or the Americas?
Is Christianity influence preventing Jews and Muslims from being president?
Has this to do with anti-Semitism and Islamophobia?
Isn't this as bad as the rule of Islam in Africa and the Middle East?

Religions should stay in churches, mosques and temples, but should stay out of the ballots.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
" Religions should stay in churches, mosques and temples, but should stay out of the ballots."

Agreed. Especially the Church of Al Gore's Global Warming.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6647|Camoran's Paradise
It will be a long time before a Muslim or Jewish president comes into power in America.  Yes, there is a Christian bias, but I don't think that has everything to do with why most presidents were Christian.  It's simply because the vast majority of Americans are Christian and therefore the majority of candidates will be Christian.  Anti-semitism/Islamophobia could have an impact, but not as much as you seem to imply.

Also, you seem to be mixing Middle East and African religious states with Christian dominant states in Europe and America.  Your seem to be mixing Christian presidents, PM, etc. in with leaders of countries with state religions.  A Christian leader in Europe and America will impose his/her Christian morals and values upon that country but this does not mean he/she impose Christian beliefs as in some other countries... (I know 'Under God' and 'In God We Trust' is all over US money, seals, etc but it was done when virtually 99% of America was Christian).

Last edited by Ganko_06 (2008-04-09 06:28:51)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Ganko_06 wrote:

It will be a long time before a Muslim or Jewish president comes into power in America.  Yes, there is a Christian bias, but I don't think that has everything to do with why most presidents were Christian.  It's simply because the vast majority of Americans are Christian and therefore the majority of candidates will be Christian.  Anti-semitism/Islamophobia could have an impact, but not as much as you seem to imply.

Also, you seem to be mixing Middle East and African religious states with Christian dominant states in Europe and America.  Your seem to be mixing Christian presidents, PM, etc. in with leaders of countries with state religions.  A Christian leader in Europe and America will impose his/her Christian morals and values upon that country but this does not mean he/she impose Christian beliefs as in some other countries... (I know 'Under God' and 'In God We Trust' is all over US money, seals, etc but it was done when virtually 99% of America was Christian).
I said the Americas not America.  Btw, in God we trust was done in the 50's if I'm not wrong.

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-04-09 06:33:53)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

sergeriver wrote:

I said the Americas not America.  Btw, in God we trust was done in the 50's if I'm not wrong.
To fight them godless commies!

The US is based on a deist belief system, with no real particular religion in mind.  All those documents that say "god" and "creator" etc...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6646
no poll?  the campaign is working.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

no poll?  the campaign is working.
I'll make one for you later.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
In America it seems to play a massive part, less so over here. It's more tradition over here than actually meaningful. Tony Blair has said, and rightly so, that he had to 'hide' his faith when he was PM otherwise the population would dismiss him as a crackpot. And he's right, we would and we did.

Even though we don't actually have separation of church and state over here, it is basically separated. Whereas in the U.S they specifically have laws separating them, but it just isn't working. Funny that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Bush claimed he received instructions from 'gawd', whoever that is.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world … 09925.html
'President George Bush has claimed he was told by God to invade Iraq and attack Osama bin Laden's stronghold of Afghanistan as part of a divine mission to bring peace to the Middle East, security for Israel, and a state for the Palestinians.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa
'God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."'

Funny he's been a little slack on the last bit.

Blair reckons he will be judged by God and the electorate don't matter.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po … 68512.html
'Tony Blair has proclaimed that God will judge whether he was right to send British troops to Iraq, echoing statements from his ally George Bush.
Contradicting warnings from advisers not to mix politics and religion, the Prime Minister said that his interest in politics sprang from his Christianity and its "values and philosophy" had guided him in public life.

Explaining how he managed to live with the decision to go to war in Iraq, Mr Blair replied: "If you have faith about these things then you realise that judgement is made by other people. If you believe in God, it's made by God as well."'

So I reckon the Christian fundamentalist crackpots are pretty well running the developed world.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-04-09 07:02:46)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6562

sergeriver wrote:

If you look at it like that it is obvious it's better to rule under Christianity than Islam. If you don't agree then go become an African/ME citizens and give up your "western" rights.

Last edited by rawls2 (2008-04-09 08:45:39)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
Thankfully Christianity and organised religion is dying out among Western Europeans and it has been long overdue. This growing absence of faith is a mark of development. The church only has a hold over a handful of EU countries now - namely Malta, Ireland, Poland, Italy, Spain and Portugal - and the influence they have is waning fast, especially in Ireland.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

rawls2 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

If you look at it like that it is obvious it's better to rule under Christianity than Islam. If you don't agree then go become an African/ME citizens and give up your "western" rights.
I would like a Jew becoming president here or anywhere outside Israel for instance.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6562

CameronPoe wrote:

Thankfully Christianity and organised religion is dying out among Western Europeans and it has been long overdue. This growing absence of faith is a mark of development. The church only has a hold over a handful of EU countries now - namely Malta, Ireland, Poland, Italy, Spain and Portugal - and the influence they have is waning fast, especially in Ireland.
This proves to me that Cam is working for the anit-christ and if you continue to listen to him you are pretty much guaranteeing eternal damnation.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

rawls2 wrote:

This proves to me that Cam is working for the anit-christ and if you continue to listen to him you are pretty much guaranteeing eternal damnation.

Does the anti-christ have horns, hooves and a trident by any chance. You're brainwashed. I find your comment laughable. If you said something like that somewhere in Europe people would probably snigger or think you were being sarcastic...

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-04-09 15:55:45)

jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

sergeriver wrote:

It's obvious that there are more Christians in Western Europe and the Americas than any other Religion.  But there are places like the US, Canada, Argentina, France, Russia and UK with significant Jewish populations.
I've never seen a Jew in my 17 years living in the UK. Just thought I'd add that.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470

sergeriver wrote:

You are wrong, it was done in the 1900's by Roosevelt. The Pledge of Alliance was rewritten in the 50's and since then included "Under God" along with other changes.

Last edited by DoctaStrangelove (2008-04-09 16:00:53)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

sergeriver wrote:

It's obvious that there are more Christians in Western Europe and the Americas than any other Religion.  But there are places like the US, Canada, Argentina, France, Russia and UK with significant Jewish populations.  And some countries in Europe have very large Muslim communities, like France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain and the UK.

There were many Atheists who were presidents.  Why not a Jew or a Muslim?
Will there ever be a Jewish or Muslim president in Western Europe or the Americas?
Is Christianity influence preventing Jews and Muslims from being president?
Has this to do with anti-Semitism and Islamophobia?

Religions should stay in churches, mosques and temples, but should stay out of the ballots.
Problem with Muslim and Jewish populations in European countries is that they are perceived as refusing to integrate or be assimilated and have often been accused of following their own ethnicity/creed-specific agenda -  'suspects of questionable loyalty to their home nation'. Europe - where the number of those without faith is rising considerably - is built on a history and heritage of Christianity. The value system of Europe and the 'national psyche' derive from that religion. That value system characterizes who is European and who is a 'blow-in'. I for one regard Europe as 'Christendom' even though I am an atheist. I do not want to see Turkey or Azerbaijan join the EU. This is a subcontinent for people of Christian heritage and all those wishing to live here must put up or shut up.

I might add that I am not anti-immigration but I feel it should be strictly controlled and that the core principles upon which Europe is founded should never be compromised. People are free to practice whatever religion they please. For me to vote for them however they'd have to prove 100% that their political life is absolutely and totally divorced from their personal religious beliefs.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
I't doesn't rule politics overall in the EU per se, but i'd say a Catholic would be much much more likely to get elected than say, a Jew or a Muslim.

Church and State should remain seperate.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

Dilbert_X wrote:

I reckon the Christian fundamentalist crackpots are pretty well running the developed world.
That, or maybe those who run the developed world make use of their "faith" so as to be in accordance with the "good politician model". Same goes for the family thingy.
ƒ³
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6465|Tyne & Wear, England
I would say that Europe (particularly western) is the least religious populated continent on earth.  I see it as progress, and as soon as others start following suit, the better.

As others have said, religion and politics should stay seperate.  Just look at how much of a fuck up the middle east is for an example of how badly religion and politics mix.

I would not appreciate a Prime Minister who is deeply religious, Christian, Muslim, Jew or otherwise.  Nor will one ever be elected in Britain, not in this day and age.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Home
Section.80
+447|6850|Seattle, Washington, USA

I can't really comment on Western Europe, from what I've read, religion doesn't seem to be such a huge deal in politics there. But here, I'd definitely say that Christianity dominates politics.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

rawls2 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I really hope you're being sarcastic....
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

ATG wrote:

" Religions should stay in churches, mosques and temples, but should stay out of the ballots."

Agreed. Especially the Church of Al Gore's Global Warming.
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/unnamednewbie13/manbearpigs.jpg
Ave Envirotor!

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-04-09 22:56:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard