jord
+2,382|6700|The North, beyond the wall.

MECtallica wrote:

French Foreign Legion

so what, you SPECIALIZE in white flag warfare?
Seeing as how they're made up of mostly FOREIGNERS then no. FFL sees more action than a Black man in China.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5983|Washington DC

FallenMorgan wrote:

All the people supporting the Canadian military can't seem to take a joke.  Everybody picks on France and Canada for a bunch of reasons.  Not all of these stereotypes may be real, but they're funny still.  Just because I might tell a black joke, that doesn't make me racist, it just means I think those stereotypes are funny in a joking manner.
Not sure who was getting all defensive. I was simply saying my grandpa and great grandpa served... since we were talkin about the Canadian military and all...
R0lyP0ly
+161|6675|USA
...at least this hasn't been a case of epic derailment?

I'd say go for the degree before any military. One, it'll help with rank advancement (especially if you're pursuing commission as an officer). In the American military, a degree is practically becoming a requirement for advancement into a senior-NCO position. Two, it'll be invaluable in the civilian working world, duh.

While you can pursue a degree in the military (my father did; he retired in '99), it can take forever. You end up taking classes in between deployments, in between transfers, etc etc. Years will pass. The advice he gave to me right before high school graduation was this -- take advantage of every single educational opportunity you can before you step foot in uniform. (Unless you're doing ROTC or a service academy, obviously). Twenty or thirty years from now, when you're in the civilian world, your employer is gonna be more concerned with that degree than much of anything else.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6865|Waikato, Aotearoa

ReTox wrote:

If you have a degree look at becoming an officer.  Otherwise you'll write the competency tests to see what branches you qualify for.  Chances are you're a smart guy and you'll qualify for all branches.  Then you can pick what you want, providing they're open.

I'd recommend you ask the recruiter what branches currently offer the fastest promotion track.  Some fields (infantry) are quite slow.  My friend was a M.Cpl for 5 years and he was an exceptional soldier but because of the log jam up from him there were no promotions.
Yeah tell me about it. A guy that I worked with was in the RAF for 18 odd years spraypainting aircraft, and didnt make it past Cpl cos there were no vacancies for Sgt and higher.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6642|London, England

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

ReTox wrote:

If you have a degree look at becoming an officer.  Otherwise you'll write the competency tests to see what branches you qualify for.  Chances are you're a smart guy and you'll qualify for all branches.  Then you can pick what you want, providing they're open.

I'd recommend you ask the recruiter what branches currently offer the fastest promotion track.  Some fields (infantry) are quite slow.  My friend was a M.Cpl for 5 years and he was an exceptional soldier but because of the log jam up from him there were no promotions.
Yeah tell me about it. A guy that I worked with was in the RAF for 18 odd years spraypainting aircraft, and didnt make it past Cpl cos there were no vacancies for Sgt and higher.
lol, must've liked it or at least been getting decent pay to actually keep at it for 18 whole years...
First
+3|6741|Canada
Go down to a recruiting center they will tell you everything you need to know. You do need a degree to become an Officer in the CF but they would pay for you to go to school to attain one if you didn't have one. The guy tried to sign me up to go after i took the attitude test (which you have to qualify to become an Officer, Inf...) turned him down for Infantry. Anyways go to Army.ca check out their forums I got all my questions answered their from what to bring to BMQ to medical qualifications. Good luck and if your in the TO area look at the Queens Own Rifles if your not afraid of jumping that is

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard