• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Unexpectedly low fps with nVidia GF 6600gt and 1 Gb RAM
autarkie
+0|6694
Hi guys and gals (?)

I have read various threads (including on this forum) but the answer to the question below still bugs me greatly.

Given the following configuration

Intel Prescott P4 3.0
  1 GB PC3200 RAM Apacer 2.5 CL
  nVidia GF 6600gt 128 Mb DDR3 (AGP)

and Medium settings on everything, AA OFF and the resolution 1024x768 the fps rate averages at about 20 in city maps and about 30 in desert maps (measured with FRAPS).

I understand that my hardware is not top-notch for a game like BF2, but it does not suck completely either. From forums I gather that this configuration should yield pretty good graphics, but I have never stumbled on actuals framerates with the similar configs. Can anyone please tell me whether my framerates are normal for this hardware and at these settings?

For those who have similar specs: what kind of fps do you get and which settings do you use?

Thousand thanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited by autarkie (2006-01-08 12:48:17)

Vic42
+2|6733|Sacramento, California
I'm getting about that frame rate with that same nVidia 6600 GT card (AGP):
2.4GH Pentium 4
2 GB Dual channel DDR
XP Pro SP2
SB Audigy 2 ZS

Only I'm running 1200x1024 (the native resolution of my LDC) and everything on HIGH except textures and texture filtering, both on medium, and AA off.

Driving through Karkand on an empty server I was getting 40-50 FPS as measured by FRAPS. On foot it was 50-60.

That suggests to me that something is wrong on your machine, and the problem is not the video card. I don't think the extra GB of memory I have is enough to make that kind of difference. I've got hardware sound on high. If you are using software sound (or some motherboard sound set-ups), you might be taking a hit on that.

Good luck. I'm subscribed to this topic, so if you have more questions, just ask.
Ziggy_79x
+4|6695
If you have vsync on try turning it off. Sometimes this helps with fps.
wayneakagod
+17|6757
I have a pretty identical system (p4 3.2ghz, 1GB ram, geforce 6600 128mb agp), And I dont run on nearly that high. I go for framerates over looks really. Got Terrain, Effects, and Dynamic Light on Medium, and textures on high. I get about 50-80fps. I have overclocked a small amount though.

Vic42 - Would I get better performance switching sound to hardware?
autarkie
+0|6694
Some more testing done, here is the additional info:

1. Suprisingly, fps does not greatly depend on graphic settings. Thus, switching from medium to low at the same resolution did not provide any significant framerate boost. In heavy combat in Karkand (although with bots, which must have used some CPU) it was about 25 average, whilst medium gives around 20.

2. Shader optimization does NOT occur every time the settings are changed. Or at least the message does not appear.

Given your feedback about how the fps should be, I come to believe that the problem is nor the amount of RAM neither the GPU. It has to be something else, but what?

I am suspicious about two things:

1) The AGP aperture is currently 256 Mb, and if (heck I know) if the main RAM is controlled by the CPU, the usage of the former might put a dent on the latter, hence the low fps in combat heavy situations.

2) Some time ago I have switched the motherboard without re-installing the Windows, since the new MB was quasi identical (same manufacturer, same chipset, even the same model line (Asus P4P800-something)).

Duh, so annoying to invest some $300 in an upgrade just to play this marvellous game to find out that something does not work properly.

Thanks to you all folks for your tips, once again.
Vic42
+2|6733|Sacramento, California

I wrote:

...With that same nVidia 6600 GT card (AGP):
2.4GH Pentium 4
2 GB Dual channel DDR
XP Pro SP2
SB Audigy 2 ZS
1200x1024 (the native resolution of my LDC)
Everything on HIGH except textures and texture filtering, both on medium, and AA off.

Driving through Karkand on an empty server I was getting 40-50 FPS as measured by FRAPS. On foot it was 50-60.
I just got a new motherboard with an Athlon 64 3800+ dual core CPU, and I now get frame rates about 10% higher.

Keep in mind that the numbers I gave are on an EMTPY server to allow us to make an apples-to-apples comparison. Try running past the hotel on an empty server and see what frame rate you get. As an experiment, I through a smoke grenade and ran through the smoke, and the frame rate dropped below 30 very briefly.
nitro92
I cheat.
+-6|6811|Sydney, Australia
my pc stats r below and i also have 1 gig of ram but i have a vanilla 6600 and get about 35 fps no more lower as in 35 fps is my lowest and my highest is about 45 sumtimes i get like 55 and stuff but thats for about 2 seconds most inbetween 35 and 45 i stil get 2 mins of lag at start and super long load times imn getting a upgrade very fkn soon
Landepaukku
Finnish bush-man
+23|6847|Finland

nitro92 wrote:

my pc stats r below and i also have 1 gig of ram but i have a vanilla 6600 and get about 35 fps no more lower as in 35 fps is my lowest and my highest is about 45 sumtimes i get like 55 and stuff but thats for about 2 seconds most inbetween 35 and 45 i stil get 2 mins of lag at start and super long load times imn getting a upgrade very fkn soon
Dumb the cheats and youll get better aswell.

ps. thats pretty damn hard to read. Only one sentence...
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6685|Planet Seibertron ;)
I wish I could help you out on that... but you did mentioned about swapping motherboards.

I've a personal rule of thumb to always reinstall Windows when swapping a motherboard for anything else.  The PCI IDs for the motherboard parts may be different and I do not risk the chance of having something going bonkers on me.

The card you have should be able to perform evenly with mine (R9800Pro) and I don't seem to have framerate problems... yet.

Try purging the NVIDIA drivers.  After that, purge the chipset drivers too (so that you can reinstall it later).  If that's not possible then you can skip this step.  Go into the BIOS and check the AGP setting and ensure it's set to AGP 8x with all the 8x features turned on (or off if you know what you're doing).  Save any changes if needed and then reinstall the drivers.  Reboot and check to make sure that the card is running as AGP8x.

The last time I had a framerate problem it was due to that... and a step I missed during my setup.  It may be due to that... but hey, might as well try anything.  If that doesn't solve your problem, the only thing left is to simply reinstall from scratch.  Painful, yes.  But at least it wipes everything clean and Windows setup will re-enumerate your components from scratch.
s4vior6
Save's UR @$$
+1|6756|Somewhere in NYC
try going to www.tweakguides.com they have a battlefield 2 tweaking article in there. that might help.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Unexpectedly low fps with nVidia GF 6600gt and 1 Gb RAM

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard