Ghandi767
+17|6615|Hanging in the Balance
Hey Guys,

Obviously it wont make my final choice, but I'd like some input on what branch to join.

Narrowed down my MOS selection to:

Infantry
Scout
Helo Pilot
Crewman
Artillery

Its between:
Air Force
Army
Marines

Thanks,
Ghandi
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

That's pretty vague.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Marines.  Grunt.

Move out!
Docjones
+7|5977|Connecticut

Ghandi767 wrote:

Hey Guys,

Obviously it wont make my final choice, but I'd like some input on what branch to join.

Narrowed down my MOS selection to:

Infantry
Scout
Helo Pilot
Crewman
Artillery

Its between:
Air Force
Army
Marines

Thanks,
Ghandi
Marines. Thats where I'm going in two years.

Last edited by Docjones (2008-04-03 12:37:37)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
Pilot

I'm going to be joining the RAF, unfortunately I probably won't get any pilot position because:

- We don't exactly have that many aircraft
- I don't have 20/20 vision anymore (although I suppose laser surgery could correct that)

But as the cheesy advert goes "you don't have to  be a pilot to fly in the RAF" (no I'm not going to be a cook or a janitor you /b/f2s tards )

If you can become a pilot, do it, Mahatma...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Pilot

I'm going to be joining the RAF, unfortunately I probably won't get any pilot position because:

- I don't have 20/20 vision anymore (although I suppose laser surgery could correct that)

But as the cheesy advert goes "you don't have to  be a pilot to fly in the RAF" (no I'm not going to be a cook or a janitor you /b/f2s tards )

I hope that's wrong. Don't like the idea of people without pilot training flying multi-million pound aircraft...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England

ghettoperson wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Pilot

I hope that's wrong. Don't like the idea of people without pilot training flying multi-million pound aircraft...
Yeah, because they totally don't train you up...

edit: Oh, the slogan. It's a slogan. They don't mean it literally. Fly as in...succeed, or excel or you know...

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-04-03 12:43:57)

Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6622|Mexifornia, USA
Infantry - Marines
Scout - Marines
Helo Pilot - Marines*
Crewman - Air Force
Artillery - Marines/Army

Marines FTW.

* As far as I know, the Army does not require you to be an officer to fly a helicopter. I know the other branches require it for both rotary and fixed wing piloting. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the Army can confirm this

Edit:

Docjones wrote:

lol, that's where I'm going in 5 months

Last edited by Jibbles (2008-04-03 12:46:58)

jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.

ghettoperson wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Pilot

It's a figure of speech. When people think of getting a career in the RAF, they think of being a Pilot. The advert shows other careers in the RAF.

Anyway, Marines infantry, or Army infantry.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6316|New Haven, CT
Af.
Docjones
+7|5977|Connecticut

Docjones wrote:

lol, that's where I'm going in 5 months
wish i could go sooner, but still have school left..
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Do you intend to have a family while you're on active duty?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
BVC
+325|6688
Air force.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548
The Olive Branch.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
peace corps
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6637|Camoran's Paradise

Jibbles wrote:

* As far as I know, the Army does not require you to be an officer to fly a helicopter. I know the other branches require it for both rotary and fixed wing piloting. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the Army can confirm this
Correct.  Army pilots do not have to be officers as we think (Lt., Captain,...).  Most are Warrant Officers though.
In two years I'll be training to be an Aviation officer (2nd Lt.).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Best bet is to talk to members of all branches, particularly those in the fields you're interested in. Each one will have different experiences, but it may tip the balance in favor of one or the other. Another bit of advise is to read up on the history of the various branches, which will also give you a bit of 'leisure' time when you're expected to learn that crap in boot camp but already know it.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6461
Coast Gaurd- drive a boat all day and drink beer all night, plud minimal change that you get shot.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6470|Communist Republic of CA, USA
If you have to choose between the Army, the Air Force, and the Marines, you don't belong in the Marines.
[/recruiting poster]

It all depends on what you want going into it.  If you go into any office saying you want to do any of those things, it's way to vague, so they'll stick you where they need you (see: Infantry).  Now if you were to go into a recruiters office and do what I do ("Give me Tanks, or I'm joining the Army"), you'll get what you want.  Don't do open contract, because they will put you where they need you, and you won't get any say.  Go in knowing what you want to do, or find out more about the different MOS'.  In all srsness though, join the Marines.
Spazz
+7|6559
try a NROTC program or a ROTC program you get college education + scholarship + officer
Docjones
+7|5977|Connecticut

Spazz wrote:

try a NROTC program or a ROTC program you get college education + scholarship + officer
rotc makes the worst officers.
IRONCHEF
+385|6483|Northern California
Be a corpsman, tape up dude's femoral and carotid arteries and make them buy you drinks!

Oh, and you'll get a G36e and have the biggest killbox there is!

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2008-04-03 17:05:58)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York
Air Force. That's what I'm doing! It's great for the tech nerd part of me, plus I'm already flying and taking flying lessons right now anyways.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6637|Camoran's Paradise

Docjones wrote:

Spazz wrote:

rotc makes the worst officers.
Not always.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5954|Washington DC

Poseidon wrote:

Air Force. That's what I'm doing! It's great for the tech nerd part of me, plus I'm already flying and taking flying lessons right now anyways.
Yeah, I remember talking to a guy in the Air Force on the metro. He did something with satellites... he said if you like math/science/computer shit and you wanna join the military, the USAF's a good bet. I think he did officer training, he was like a Chief Warrant Officer 2.

I'm thinking of doing Army ROTC... the Army just attracts me more. It seems to have a wide variety of jobs (infantry, armor, helicopters, military intelligence) and they seem to have great bonuses. I know the USMC has a lot of the same (and Sea stuff as well), and it certainly seems to have a very strong esprit de corps.

I just want to get a college degree before joining the military. Having a degree + being in the military would probably make getting a good civilian job a lot easier. Hopefully if I do ROTC, I won't be one of those officers that thinks he knows more than an enlisted who's been in for 5 years.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard