Safrguns
+105|6122
Well, I don't know what many were expecting,
and I certainly hope no one is disappointed...
But it's finally done.

The purpose of this video is to share what I have learned,
as a promise I made in the introduction of "Animal".
This is a tutorial...
For those not interested in tanking, most of it will be boring...
But I did my best to make it as entertaining as possible.
I do believe though that there is a certain level of crossover benefit...
It is my way of explaining how dragshooting actually works.

Total video length:  18:42
Introduction: 1:40
Narration: about 13:00
ending and credits about 3 minutes.

Personally, I think the credits are the most entertaining part of the entire video...
but i'll let you be the judge of that.

I will be releasing a shortened version soon as a promo which
contains just the intro, ending, and credits.
This will be hosted on youtube, and various other places.
The full tutorial itself will be hosted at Gamerztheatre and Filefront.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Thanks again for your patience.

Jet-Eye Tanker School  GotGame Full Version flash stream

Jet-Eye Tanker School  Filefront Full Version Download WMV

Jet-Eye Tanker School Promo  Game Trailers

You Tube Promotional Version (no narration)

You Tube Part 1  Available in High Quality

You Tube Part 2  Available in High Quality

Last edited by Safrguns (2008-11-10 15:56:26)

Ten24Alpha420
Yes I Cannabis
+13|6318
I enjoyed it. Been practicing on live targets a lot and have yet to hit a jet that wasn't flying like it was his first time.
Choppers though have had some trouble form me.
Narration was not hard to listen to or care to follow at all.
Best part is the credits though, funny stuff.
Was worth the wait. Thanx.

Last edited by Ten24Alpha420 (2008-03-31 03:05:44)

Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6733

Can you host in on filefront or similar so I can download it? I'm having trouble streaming off gamerztheatre
K3rt6699
+70|6360
Excellent video! Great way to explain. The few minutes I spend in BF2 is because of tanking and the fact that it's just fun. But as with everything else, practice makes perfect

Thanks for posting this.
Safrguns
+105|6122

Jestar12345 wrote:

Can you host in on filefront or similar so I can download it? I'm having trouble streaming off gamerztheatre
Yes... I can do that...  I do have a FF acct if I can remember my pw.
What trouble with Gamerz? I'm sure crazycanuck would like to know.

Thanks Ten and K3rt!

Edit:  request completed... see post 1

Last edited by Safrguns (2008-03-31 07:52:39)

Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6140|San Antonio, Texas
One thing that keeps me playing BF2 are new challenges. Thanks Safr, was anticipating the visual tutorial! A proper guide, not just another ownage video.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
Awesome! You released this just as I started to play in Tanks Really helpful, thanks very much +1
BRiiNDED
+137|6116
watched it when first posted but didnt really take anything in, just watched it again, and all makes sense

i gotta say thats gonna help a lot of people, maybe not me in general as i dont play much tank, but sure will help for when i do go in one

nice work, hope your pleased with the final result

+1
Safrguns
+105|6122

Death_Brinded_Pro wrote:

watched it when first posted but didnt really take anything in, just watched it again, and all makes sense

i gotta say thats gonna help a lot of people, maybe not me in general as i dont play much tank, but sure will help for when i do go in one

nice work, hope your pleased with the final result

+1
Thats great to hear!... thanks!
I'll be pleased with the final result when EA starts hearing from the
whiners that tanks have ruined the game.

Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6733

Awesome video mate.
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6362|Stealth on Grand Bazaar
Fascinating video. I now can see similar priniciples between sniping and tanking....amazing but true. I can also completely understand why you took so long to produce this. The amount of explanation needed is so detailed and the editing to speech so precise this project should really be stickied as a brilliant combination of tutorial and frag movie.

The way you mix in game footage to your explanation is such that is becomes crystal clear what you mean and why your doing the 'dragshot' with moving targets. As a sniper I feel I understand it easier than a medic or assault player in that I can see the thought process of moving shots, despite the obvious different with speeds of adjustment. That said your mention of 'the more you think, the more likely you are to miss' is completely true of the reflex shot so prone to be used in sniping. The parralels between the two 'kits' (if calling a tank a kit) is so vivid to me, and the way you describe your thoughts only furthers the idea in my head. Inverting the mouse is a concept I have not come across in BF2 tanking, but its one I shall give thought to.

This is the best tutorial I have seen for BF2, not just in the sphere of tanking.

Hats off to you Safrguns.

A 10/10 effort with a 10/10 product. Well done
Hakei
Banned
+295|5987
Loved it.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6186|Schofield Barracks
if i could acttully play tank maps without my computer freezing id be on oman now trying to shoot down jets.
great job.
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6277|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
Wow. Love the fact that your speech is crystal clear and you can get your point across easily. Thanks, I'll be sure to try it.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6318|England
OMG! Due to this tutorial, I decided to try my hand at some Tanking tonight. My KD's were shitty, but to be fair it was my first real effort at playing vanilla.
And I did a magical shot! At the start of a new round, I hopped in the tank on wake, and was driving down to the beach at North Village (Is that it?) On the way I noticed a chopper in the middle of both sides of the island. Still moving I "threw" the shot, and smashed the chopper out of the sky (it was smoking) I was really happy with myself, up to the point I got punished for a TK. It seemed someone flew ALL the way to the carrier, stole a BH for some reason and flew back....But I'm still happy with the shot
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6181|Canada

Learned a lot with this video. Great Job! +1
Safrguns
+105|6122

nighthawk843 wrote:

Inverting the mouse is a concept I have not come across in BF2 tanking, but its one I shall give thought to.

This is the best tutorial I have seen for BF2, not just in the sphere of tanking.

Hats off to you Safrguns.

A 10/10 effort with a 10/10 product. Well done
Thank you very much Nighthawk! 

On mouse inversion... I was not suggesting that anyone switch.
I think that would be like suggesting you go from being right handed to left handed.
Its Better to simply adjust the -direction- that you throw the shots.

I find that pulling the mouse affords me more fine control than pushing it.
I translate that for non-inverted mouse users as a downward throw instead of an upward one.
I can and have thrown shots down...  throwing them up is just easier for me.
Safrguns
+105|6122

ShadowsStrike wrote:

OMG! Due to this tutorial, I decided to try my hand at some Tanking tonight. My KD's were shitty, but to be fair it was my first real effort at playing vanilla.
And I did a magical shot! At the start of a new round, I hopped in the tank on wake, and was driving down to the beach at North Village (Is that it?) On the way I noticed a chopper in the middle of both sides of the island. Still moving I "threw" the shot, and smashed the chopper out of the sky (it was smoking) I was really happy with myself, up to the point I got punished for a TK. It seemed someone flew ALL the way to the carrier, stole a BH for some reason and flew back....But I'm still happy with the shot
lol... and now your hooked!  welcome to the club 

What you will find now is that there is a fine line between rushing and reacting
which is in a constant state of competition with thinking.
The REAL hard part is to resist the rushing while at the same time suppressing the thinking
so that your reaction is un-hindered.

Spend all your thinking on defense, position,  and situation awareness... it helps.
Safrguns
+105|6122
Thanks guys!...  makes all the effort worth it!
CoconutBlitz
I've had the diarrheas since Easters
+145|6581|California U.S.A
Whaaaoooowww...

That was awesome Safr!

One of the most intelligent tutorials I have seen for BF2. Great work on the editing and speech.

I will sacrifice a cow and some beer tonight in your honor.

I feel like I have just been taught something by Obi-wan Kenobi himself.

I'm saving that to the hardrive.
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6362|Stealth on Grand Bazaar

Safrguns wrote:

I think that would be like suggesting you go from being right handed to left handed.

I translate that for non-inverted mouse users as a downward throw instead of an upward one.
Don't thank me Honestly you completely deserve it, all the praise heaped on you by the tonne.

The inversion is alien to me, but then so was dragshotting on BF2. I could never comprehend the idea when I was new, I will try inverted on singleplayer and see if I can manage it.

Regarding direction of throwing. I would probably only go from left -> right and upwards as thats what I do when I'm sniping. I did used to tank quite a bit, for my 1 star rank until I got reset, did get a few planes, alot of the hit but no kill stuff Guess I was getting by.
Safrguns
+105|6122

CoconutBlitz wrote:

Whaaaoooowww...

That was awesome Safr!

One of the most intelligent tutorials I have seen for BF2. Great work on the editing and speech.

I will sacrifice a cow and some beer tonight in your honor.

I feel like I have just been taught something by Obi-wan Kenobi himself.

I'm saving that to the hardrive.
ROFL on the cow & beer!....

Thanks man... i'm still working on a divx version..
when i tried divx 1st time, it took close to 6 hours to render with very crappy results.
I ended up going WMV just to get it out.

So dont be surprised if the gamerz link changes.
I think i'll keep the filefront version in WMV.

btw...  anyone know how i can fix the audio in WMV???  sounded pretty scratchy to me.
pretty sure my wmv settings were GBR at 64kbs for audio, and I havn't the foggiest
idea what that means.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6403|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Cancel my comment on your other thread, wait 20 minutes from this post (if not more), and I shall return.
Safrguns
+105|6122

nighthawk843 wrote:

Safrguns wrote:

Don't thank me Honestly you completely deserve it, all the praise heaped on you by the tonne.

The inversion is alien to me, but then so was dragshotting on BF2. I could never comprehend the idea when I was new, I will try inverted on singleplayer and see if I can manage it.

Regarding direction of throwing. I would probably only go from left -> right and upwards as thats what I do when I'm sniping. I did used to tank quite a bit, for my 1 star rank until I got reset, did get a few planes, alot of the hit but no kill stuff Guess I was getting by.
Thanks again!....  but you are not hearing me....  DONT CHANGE YOUR MOUSE SETTINGS
Not unless you just want to experiment with it. 
It won't help you shoot a tank any better... it will make it harder...
and then it will ruin your sniping game.

Put me in front of a non-inverted mouse, and i'm ALL THUMBS!... 
I have always played inverted because i'm an old school air combat gamer
from the good ole days of Atari ST....  pulling back on the yoke meant
than your nose goes up like a joystick works.  This translated to every other
form of gaming since then.  Stick with the way you have learned it.

On the throw direction...  you cannot always predict or control the direction a chopper/jet will enter
your field of view from.  you will not always have time to move your turret in more than one direction.
therefore, you have to be able to throw shots in ALL directions.

When I have time, I move the reticle underneath and ahead of my target as I track for an upward throw.
If your a non-inverter, you MIGHT find it easier to move your reticle above and ahead as you
track for a downward throw.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6403|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Amazing vid Safr.

I swear you're the one that's gonna be the reason I went to buy a gaming rig again. I miss my tanks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard