Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6514
This is a story I first heard through friend of mine in Kansas.

She is a very religious person and comes from an equally religious area in central Arkansas. She moved away a while ago, but kept in contact with many of her church friends, which is how she heard about this story. Turns out my friend is the best friend with the daughter in the article, and that she, the daughter, and the boy all went to the same church with their families.

A man accused of shooting and paralyzing his daughter's boyfriend has been charged with first-degree battery and a terroristic act.

George David Reed, 48, of Highfill was arrested July 31 in the shooting of Michael Austin Guzman, 19. Authorities say Reed came home and found Guzman hiding in the closet of his 17-year-old daughter's bedroom. Police said Reed beat Guzman with a pool stick, then left the room to retrieve a gun. Guzman and his girlfriend blocked the bedroom door with a dresser, and Reed began shooting through the door, police said.

A bullet struck Guzman in the back and lodged in his spinal cord, fracturing three vertebrae. Doctors don't expect Guzman to regain any feeling or mobility below his waist, authorities said.
According to my friend, the guy was in the daughters bedroom (which I guess is a big no no) when the Dad walked in and found them. Dad goes into battle mode and precedes to beat said boy bloody. Then he leaves. The boy and the daughter, fearing for their lives, shut, lock, and block the door with a dresser to keep out Dad-enstein. When the dad couldn't get in, he started shooting through the door knowing full well there were two kids on the other side.

Well, as it turns out now, the family of the boy, who is now paralyze from the waist down for the rest of his life, has asked the DA to drop the charges against Rambo Dad.

After having a sit down with the priest of their church, the two families felt it would be best, for the sake of the church community, that all charges be dropped.

When I heard this, I damn near blew a gasket. This guy flies off the handle, shoots a 17 year old, paralyzes him for the rest of his life, and just might get off scott free.

It is obvious this guy is off his rocker and in no way, shape, or form is stable enough to be among normal people. What if someone accidentally cut him off on the freeway? He just might blow their house up.

The complete abscence of logic in some people boggles the mind.

Edit: Forgot the Link

Last edited by Protecus (2008-03-29 11:41:19)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
and they talk about sharia courts in the middle east...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5953|Washington DC
In cases like these the state should be able to seek charges itself for the greater sake of society. Right, if I murder someone but the family doesn't press charges I'm off scott free? Fuck that.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
I'd jump out the window

Especially if rounds started going off

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-03-29 12:21:08)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6437|The Land of Scott Walker
I do not justify this father's course of action and yes he should be charged.  However, if you have a daughter someday, you will understand the deep instinct to protect her ... especially from horny 17 year old males.  I know I'll be cleaning my guns whenever my daughter brings home a boy.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-03-29 13:55:50)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6316|New Haven, CT

Stingray24 wrote:

I do not justify this father's course of action and yes he should be charged.  However, if you have a daughter someday, you will understand the deep instinct to protect her ... especially from horny 17 year old males.  I know I'll be cleaning my guns whenever my daughter brings home a boy.
Exactly.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

nukchebi0 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Exactly.
What, so no one is ever allowed to have sex with you daughter? I can appreciate how you might feel about it, but I would think that her decision not to have sex until marriage would be more likely to come about through upbringing rather than scaring off boyfriends.
FallenMorgan
+53|5906|Glendale, CA

ghettoperson wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Exactly.
What, so no one is ever allowed to have sex with you daughter? I can appreciate how you might feel about it, but I would think that her decision not to have sex until marriage would be more likely to come about through upbringing rather than scaring off boyfriends.
Fathers are insane when it comes to that.  How 'bout instead of raising a double standard they teach their girls to be not vulnerable.  Boys can go out with girls all the time, but girls need triple approval just to date a guy.

Last edited by FallenMorgan (2008-03-29 14:21:42)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

Alright, Protect your daughter by firing wildly into her own room whilst she's inside...that's some great parenting, he really does care for her eh?
FallenMorgan
+53|5906|Glendale, CA

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Alright, Protect your daughter by firing wildly into her own room whilst she's inside...that's some great parenting, he really does care for her eh?
Yeah.  So we shouldn't protect teenage boys from horny slut girls?  Double standard alert!  Instead of teaching the girl to be vulnerable, like all fundamentalist communities do, why not teach her karate and tell her to kick guys she doesn't like in the nuts?  Girls are dainty and need to be "protected" because they are raised that way.
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

He should've taught her to grow up like a strong independent young woman.

Like Pink.
FallenMorgan
+53|5906|Glendale, CA

jord wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Like Pink.
Fundamentalists and the like have a name for that:

A witch!
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6316|New Haven, CT

ghettoperson wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Exactly.
I was just saying that Stingray articulated how a father would feel about his daughter and boys well. Understanding this point-of-view is probably useful in understanding why the father acted like he did. It makes it seem slightly less crazy than it might be.

HurricaИe wrote:

In cases like these the state should be able to seek charges itself for the greater sake of society. Right, if I murder someone but the family doesn't press charges I'm off scott free? Fuck that.
The state can.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-03-29 14:49:56)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

nukchebi0 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Exactly.
I was just saying that Stingray articulated how a father would feel about his daughter and boys well. Understanding this point-of-view is probably useful in understanding why the father acted like he did. It makes it seem slightly less crazy than it might be.
You're trying to un-crazify a father shooting wildly through at door at his daughter and her boyfriend?
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6637|Ohio
The boy was 19, the girl was 17. I could understand how finding a 19 year old boy in your 17 year old daughters bed room could make you flip out, but shooting through the door is really idiotic and stupid.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6316|New Haven, CT

ghettoperson wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

You're trying to un-crazify a father shooting wildly through at door at his daughter and her boyfriend?
No. I'm just saying that having a better understanding of his mental processes (i.e. wanting to protect his daughter) makes his actions more understandable.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Wanting to protect his daughter by shooting into a room in which she was in... Makes perfect sense...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5953|Washington DC

nukchebi0 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

No. I'm just saying that having a better understanding of his mental processes (i.e. wanting to protect his daughter) makes his actions more understandable.
That's like setting up a bunch of those robot sentry guns to protect your house from thieves
Smithereener
+138|6308|California
While I can certainly understand why he would go crazy, I can't quite condone the actions he took.

But, the whole "greater good" thing does remind me of Hot Fuzz.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6437|The Land of Scott Walker

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

No, her husband is allowed to and as you said, her upbringing will be such.  She'll also get some good self defense training and carry legal means of defense.  I hope she will grow up to be a "don't tell me no lines and keep your hands to yourself" type girl as the country song says.  I see nothing wrong with a healthy dose of “watch your p’s and q’s son” to any young man who will date my daughter. 

FallenMorgan wrote:

Fathers are insane when it comes to that.  How 'bout instead of raising a double standard they teach their girls to be not vulnerable.  Boys can go out with girls all the time, but girls need triple approval just to date a guy.
If you ever have a daughter, you’ll understand.  Until then, you won’t.  And girls are more vulnerable, hence appropriate instruction about not getting one’s self into situations where she can’t say no.  And the patented "stomp on foot, knee crotch, gouge eyes" move ...

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Re-read my post, I said I don’t agree with his course of action and he should be charged. 

FallenMorgan wrote:

Yeah.  So we shouldn't protect teenage boys from horny slut girls?  Double standard alert!  Instead of teaching the girl to be vulnerable, like all fundamentalist communities do, why not teach her karate and tell her to kick guys she doesn't like in the nuts?  Girls are dainty and need to be "protected" because they are raised that way.
Generalization alert

FallenMorgan wrote:

jord wrote:

Like Pink.
Fundamentalists and the like have a name for that:

A witch!
You have an uncanny ability to connect fundamentalists to almost any subject.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6510|USA
urban justice, anyone?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

ghettoperson wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Exactly.
Don't try to reason with him on this.  Unfortunately, a good portion of humanity is somewhat animalistic in their parental instincts, and logic often goes out the window.

The harsh reality of the matter is that parents usually don't know when and if their kids are having sex, and if they find out like the father in the OP did, they often freak out.

This isn't about religion so much as it is about the stupidity of people when their emotions get in the way of logic.

That being said, the father in the OP needs to be imprisoned, or someone needs to "work outside the law" to set things straight, if you know what I mean.
aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6342|Iowa...

FallenMorgan wrote:

would you really want to date a girl that could kick your ass?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command

jord wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

He should've taught her to grow up like a strong independent young woman that only shows her Pink after marriage.
I would submit that some people are going to turn out perverted no matter what the parents do. Maybe a fire arm was the only possible answer.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
Let's face reality here for just a second.  Most people have sex for the first time between 14 and 16.  Knowing that statistical likelihood, doesn't it seem rather stupid to assume your kids are just going to abide by your rules on sex if you act like a hardass?

You can be as protective as you want with your kids, but if they really want to have sex, they're going to find a way to do it without you knowing about it.  I think a more important thing to consider is keeping your cool if you happen to find out that your kid is fucking someone.  Fathers of daughters need to especially chill out about that shit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard