crusaderop50
+1|6837
strange that the M95 sniper rifle in the game that the cartridge is on the back of the rifle not in front of the trigger.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6845|San Francisco

I am pretty sure I have heard this addressed somewhere before, though perhaps in another forum. The version in the game is the bulldog version of the M95 with the clip in the back so that the barrel can be moved backwards relative to the handle and trigger to give a shorter appearance to the gun and make it a bit more portable. (the guy who posted about this had links to some fancy images, but i unfortunately do not... do some searches i'm sure you'll find it.)
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6845|"Frisco"

Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835
Yeah.  There is a couple of different versions of the Barret rifles.  I prefer the M82 myself, but to each his own.
sinir
damned
+2|6816|Boston
The version with the magazine in front of the trigger is like 6 feet long lol.
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835

sinir wrote:

The version with the magazine in front of the trigger is like 6 feet long lol.
Yeah.  But the recoil is less and than means better follow up shots.
priznat
+0|6844
Another good site for M95: http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm

(that site is great for military gun nuts..)

Or how bout this one: Macmillan Tac-50: http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-tac50.htm

Set the record of confirmed kill at 2,430m.. Don't know if that has been passed yet, possibly.

Last edited by priznat (2005-08-30 18:38:23)

Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835

priznat wrote:

Another good site for M95: http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm

(that site is great for military gun nuts..)

Set the record of confirmed kill at 2,430m.. Don't know if that has been passed yet, possibly.
Why in the name of all that is Holy would you try and silence a 12.7mm rifle?  That silencer can't be good for anything after a couple of shots...
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6840|Bryan/College Station, TX

Burning_Monkey wrote:

priznat wrote:

Why in the name of all that is Holy would you try and silence a 12.7mm rifle?  That silencer can't be good for anything after a couple of shots...
I don't think its a silencer honestly. Maybe its a muzzel warmer? Or its an additional flash/smoke suppressor? But I really don't thinkits actually a silencer at least I hope not.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6827|USA! USA! USA!
https://www.sfu.ca/casr/ctac-1a.jpg

Are you talking about this pic?  I don't think that is a silencer either.  If you look at the one in the background it has nothing on it.  Marksmen like to do things to keep the barrel the same temp between shots, because at long ranges is affects where the round lands.  So maybe its like those things people wore in the eighties around their wrists / ankles? 
crusaderop50
+1|6837
dude that doesn't even look like a M95 or a silencer for a sniper rifle.  thats more of a M-24 w/ some sort of cloth.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6840|Bryan/College Station, TX

crusaderop50 wrote:

dude that doesn't even look like a M95 or a silencer for a sniper rifle.  thats more of a M-24 w/ some sort of cloth.
Which one? If its the pic right above this post then that's because it's not a M95. It's a Macmillan Tac-50. 12.7 mm not a .50 cal.  BTW addition: The range they say for maximum shot kill for that gun is 1.51 miles. That's just amazing.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2005-08-31 01:25:02)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
BudRell
+2|6834|Home
.50 cal IS 12.7mm....

Last edited by BudRell (2005-08-31 03:27:20)

Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835
If you read the last line on that page, the article says that it is a suppressor.  I would think that the detrimental effects would out way any positives, especially when you boost the barrel diameter to 12.7mm.  As far as the cloth on the suppressor, it's a heat sheild wrap to prevent the heat off of the suppressor from causing heat distortion when looking through the scope.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6827|USA! USA! USA!

Burning_Monkey wrote:

If you read the last line on that page, the article says that it is a suppressor.  I would think that the detrimental effects would out way any positives, especially when you boost the barrel diameter to 12.7mm.  As far as the cloth on the suppressor, it's a heat sheild wrap to prevent the heat off of the suppressor from causing heat distortion when looking through the scope.
Since the site is maintained by a University I would like to be able to trust that they have done their research and have at least a general knowledge about what they are writing about.  However, I would like to direct your attention to the picture below.  See where the arrow is pointing saying "muzzle brake"?  Muzzle Brake = Flash Suppressor (≠ Silencer), just as 12.7mm = .50 cal.  Same thing, different terms. 

https://www.sfu.ca/casr/ctac-3.jpg

Last edited by Krauser98 (2005-08-31 15:22:50)

Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835

Krauser98 wrote:

Burning_Monkey wrote:

Since the site is maintained by a University I would like to be able to trust that they have done their research and have at least a general knowledge about what they are writing about.  However, I would like to direct your attention to the picture below.  See where the arrow is pointing saying "muzzle brake"?  Muzzle Brake = Flash Suppressor (≠ Silencer), just as 12.7mm = .50 cal.  Same thing, different terms. 

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/ctac-3.jpg
Muzzle brakes and flash suppressors are different things too.

But yes, you are right about the 12.7mm = .50 caliber.  The one photo above is marked as having a sound suppressor.  I just think that the suppressor would be worthless as tits on a boar after a while.  Depending on the design the thing would get clogged with power, launch the baffles out the end, or have the sweeps torn right out.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6827|USA! USA! USA!
Agreed to an extent.  I didn't see anything about it having "sound suppressor" but that doesn't mean it wasn't in there.  I know a brake is dif, but I didn't want to explain the intricacies of them.  For the most part they are similar.  I guess I should have used the ≈ instead of = .
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835

Krauser98 wrote:

Agreed to an extent.  I didn't see anything about it having "sound suppressor" but that doesn't mean it wasn't in there.  I know a brake is dif, but I didn't want to explain the intricacies of them.  For the most part they are similar.  I guess I should have used the ≈ instead of = .

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-tac50.htm wrote:

**  Tac-50s are 145cm long and weigh a hefty 12kg. The famous Ghillie suits and other camouflage techniques are used to hide the rifleā€™s location but careful emplacement is also required since dust kicked up by the muzzle blast from a 12.7mm round can give away a position. Suppressors (seen top left) help reduce muzzle blast as well as sound but tend to heat up (generating an IR signature) with repeated firing.
I took "suppressors" to mean sound suppressors since they say it helps reduce muzzle blast.

Don't make me take a screen shot of the page and circle the line.  Cause I will.

Last edited by Burning_Monkey (2005-09-01 08:11:33)

crusaderop50
+1|6837
alrt i get it!  lets get on w/ our battle here...
priznat
+0|6844
I think muzzle brakes are more to direct gasses backward to help reduce the recoil of that sucker. And as for the heat-cloth covered thing, that is a sound suppressor indeed. Still would be frigging loud though (and the round would be supersonic as well) so not really a "silencer". I think getting a true silencer on anything over a 9mm pistol/SMG round would be iffy at best.

Personally I think the idea of having the .50 rifles in a game like this is silly, as in the "real deal" you would have a sniper team of 3, with one guy having the .50, another with a 7.62 (like the M24) and acting as a spotter, and another guy with a carbine acting as lookout/rearguard.. I don't think snipers just wander off into the boonies all on their lonesome..
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835

priznat wrote:

I think muzzle brakes are more to direct gasses backward to help reduce the recoil of that sucker. And as for the heat-cloth covered thing, that is a sound suppressor indeed. Still would be frigging loud though (and the round would be supersonic as well) so not really a "silencer". I think getting a true silencer on anything over a 9mm pistol/SMG round would be iffy at best.

Personally I think the idea of having the .50 rifles in a game like this is silly, as in the "real deal" you would have a sniper team of 3, with one guy having the .50, another with a 7.62 (like the M24) and acting as a spotter, and another guy with a carbine acting as lookout/rearguard.. I don't think snipers just wander off into the boonies all on their lonesome..
That would be great if you could spot at all in the game.  I would really love a simple set of binoculars or something.
priznat
+0|6844

Burning_Monkey wrote:

That would be great if you could spot at all in the game.  I would really love a simple set of binoculars or something.
I know, I would love some binocs too.. But as it is, giving everyone binocs would take the pretty much sole advantage of ever playing the sniper away.. Well, I guess they have the claymores too..
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6835

priznat wrote:

Burning_Monkey wrote:

I know, I would love some binocs too.. But as it is, giving everyone binocs would take the pretty much sole advantage of ever playing the sniper away.. Well, I guess they have the claymores too..
Add a spotter kit.  Or give the squad leaders and commanders binocs.  Anything to be able to see further.

Hell, the sight ranges in the game is so pathetic anyway it hurts.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6827|USA! USA! USA!

Burning_Monkey wrote:

I took "suppressors" to mean sound suppressors since they say it helps reduce muzzle blast.

Don't make me take a screen shot of the page and circle the line.  Cause I will.
I saw where it said suppressor at the bottom...  but, if you really want to make a pretty screen shot I will enjoy it!    I just took suppressor to mean "flash" and not "sound".  I didn't see anything specific to sound...

priznat wrote:

in the "real deal" you would have a sniper team of 3, with one guy having the .50, another with a 7.62 (like the M24) and acting as a spotter, and another guy with a carbine acting as lookout/rearguard.. I don't think snipers just wander off into the boonies all on their lonesome..
I'm not sure how things work in Canada, so you may be (and probably are) correct, but from my sources which are pretty reliable, in the U.S. we have M/O teams.  M= Marksmen, O= Observer.  Both are qualified to use the M24, but one uses a spotting scope and carries an M4, and once in the deisgnated area they switch places...  and I just deleted stuff because I got way too technical to even be entertaining to myself...  so if you want to know more ask...  Anyway, what I was trying to get across is that they operate differently in different armies.
karmon
+0|6753
1) Could the bullpup configuration of the M95 mean a weaker overall weapon, thus explaining the inability for the M95 to kill with one body shot?

2) The M82A1 is a semi-automatic rifle? What? That is ludicrous.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard