HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5963|Washington DC
I've never even heard one in real life, but I would shit bricks if I heard it. Especially if it was the "Attack" siren (warning of an impending attack). And it wasn't a test.

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Only you because you're little girl.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH
Drink more Guinness

Last edited by loubot (2008-03-25 09:56:28)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
... They freak me out too

It's like the sirens screeching out news of your impending doooom!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten
No.

The first time I heard one (in college, don't have them back east), I was like "wtf is that noise? Oh well, doesn't concern me."
EE (hats
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

Not really...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5963|Washington DC

Ryan wrote:

Not really...
shouldn't you be getting your teeth pulled out?
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

HurricaИe wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Not really...
shouldn't you be getting your teeth pulled out?
I have to leave in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Savour me while you can.
Unzombified_Zombie
I'm a furry, get over it :3
+9|6165|Grantham, England
Well I certainly wouldn't want to be standing next to it

Last edited by Unzombified_Zombie (2008-03-25 10:04:02)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
They can bring a sense of foreboding.  They test ours here in town once a month or something.  If it's an actual warning then yes, can be creepy.
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6494|Land of Cotton
Yes. Growing up on the Gulf Coast and living in Minneapolis and Louisville for five years each, I have seen some nasty severe weather. When those go off, they mean business. They give me the shivers.

However, I am dumb enough to stand outside with a video camera just to see what I can capture. Carpe diem.
Bulldogz
Blacking Out the Friction
+32|6001|Rexburg, Idaho
It sounds pretty simialar to air raid sirens in WW2.

Imagine hearing that and knowing that high explosives were about to fall on your town
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6449|Chicago, IL
im in illinois, i hear them all the damn time.

doesn't phase me in the slightest
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6390|New York
Oh yeah, I used to hear that all the time. A town that I used to live in, Endicott, NY, had one of those on the firehouse I think. It would go off every day at Noon. To be honest, because of that, I'm not really creeped out by it, but if it went off any other time than noon, I would be a little worried.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5963|Washington DC

Bulldogz wrote:

Imagine hearing that and knowing that high explosives were about to fall on your town
A lot of them were from the WW2 / Cold War era, they usually served the purpose of warning us of air raids or nukes. In the UK they had the four minute warning... if the commies started nuclear war, you'd have 4 minutes of warning to get your ass to a bunker.

Now some sirens have two settings... one is a really really long ring (weather) while the other is the traditional air raid (attacks)

@Lythberg, wtf happens in Illinois?

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-03-25 10:24:00)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6449|Chicago, IL

HurricaИe wrote:

Bulldogz wrote:

A lot of them were from the WW2 / Cold War era, they usually served the purpose of warning us of air raids or nukes. In the UK they had the four minute warning... if the commies started nuclear war, you'd have 4 minutes of warning to get your ass to a bunker.

Now some sirens have two settings... one is a really really long ring (weather) while the other is the traditional air raid (attacks)

@Lythberg, wtf happens in Illinois?
Mostly tests, but we'll get a few actual tornado warnings a month, but that siren just says to me "go outside to see one badass storm!"
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
Yep the Midwest gets tornadoes too.  Not as much as Tornado Alley, but we get similar weather.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6782|Great Brown North
my grandfather always hated them from when he was stationed in england :\
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6482|Somewhere else

S.Lythberg wrote:

im in illinois, i hear them all the damn time.

doesn't phase me in the slightest
yep.  Me too.  It's basically a signal that says "GO OUTSIDE! Some cool shit's about to happen and you're gonna miss it!"

It's actually a let down cause nothing ever does.

Course, the one time my town DOES get hit, I was gone.  Luckily No one died somehow, but about half the town was done in.

Luckily only a few houses had to be torn down, but ALOT of houses had to be gutted.  Even after a few days of hardcore cleanup, the town was still wrecked. (small small town)
Gamematt
Stocking ur medpacks
+135|6664|Groningen, The Netherlands
They test them every first monday of the month here
Pretty kewl o.o
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
I used to be incredibly paranoid of being nuked. Whenever I heard the fire alarm go off (which is like a mile from my house), I thought we were getting nuked.
Shaguart
Titties
+56|6371|Calgary, Canada

Poseidon wrote:

I used to be incredibly paranoid of being nuked. Whenever I heard the fire alarm go off (which is like a mile from my house), I thought we were getting nuked.
wow
firebolt5
+114|6157
Everytime I hear one, "Oh shit, the Russians are attacking!1!"
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6109|Birmingham, UK
I actually quite like it.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6579|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

I actually quite like it.
Shame i never hear any, as we dont have any

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard