Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
For me about the only thing which works consistently is music (and maybe flaming FEOS).
'Positive thinking' is just too tiring
What about you?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

A psychologist would probably tell you to keep busy and set petty goals that you can accomplish with ease.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6812|Nårvei

No set solution in general me thinks - talking about it tends to help most people if it isn't a serious case of depression that needs professional help ...

A friend of mine suffers from this from time to time and a good conversation and a good comedy often breaks the downward spiral for him ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6410|Somersetshire
nothing really pulls me out, i wake up depressed, sometimes i don't know why, i will be in a depressed mood/state till i go to sleep, it can get worse but the mood never gets better till i sleep

it can be annoying the next day, i usually do or say something i regret and don't actually mean
JahManRed
wank
+646|6630|IRELAND

If I get down, I think about my kid. I don't get depressed luckily.

I know people who suffer from depression. What maddens me is I as an untrained civilian know why they are depressed and if I had the time and the education I could fix it with plenty of talking and digging for the root of the problem. But nowadays you just get pumped with drugs.
One guy I know (bear in mind Northern Ireland has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world) makes an appointment to see a doctor who can't see him for 3months so instead prescribes him happy pills over the phone without him even seeing him, never mind him seeing a physiologist. He now takes his own concoction of drugs, some legal some illegal and is on another planet, I can't talk to him anymore and I blame the NHS for it.
If some of the money spent on drugs was spend hiring more mental health professionals people wouldn't be dependant on drugs for the rest of their lives. Personally I think the NHS managers are in league with the drug companies. Its scary if you look into how drug companies fund private research for so called "expert scientists" and how these same experts then write papers recommending people should be pumped full of the drugs they basically get paid to recommend.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6552|CH/BR - in UK

Watching movies, listening to music and talking.

Talking helps solve the most...

-konfusion
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
I wouldn't say I've ever been depressed. When I'm down I just er....these days I just try to go out with mates and just get drunk. That's what works for me the best. Or listening to music. Or watching TV. Or playing the PS3. Or BF2s. Basically anything that gets your mind of it. Although BF2s aint the best place to forget about something when 99.5% of the topics are about relationships

Flaming FEOS, I must try that one day

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-03-25 04:41:15)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
Video Games
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6647|Camoran's Paradise

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Video Games
A little bit of escapism goes a long way sometimes.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
I don't really know, I've been going through it for a while now.. It's not really horrible, it's just that my quaility of life isn't were I need it to be.. Usually it's friends who I've known for ever. Which still does work, but it's getting harder to see them cause of Adult living..
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6646
skinning puppies
Commie Killer
+192|6389
Work. Manual Labor.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
Usually one of these: music, exercise, work, talking about it with a friend, and yes sometimes video games.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6642|Your moms bedroom
time
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6687|Espoo, Finland
A nights sleep.
I don't really get depressed...
IRONCHEF
+385|6493|Northern California
Service to others, getting your mind off yourself and having compassion on others is an excellent solution for non-clinical depression (yet it can also help clinical depression).  Taking joy in providing worthwhile service to others..help people move, help them keep their yard up, help widows who need grocery shopping or bringing in their groceries, secretly wash a neighbor's car, help bring clothes in from a clothes line when it starts to rain, let someone in front of you in traffic who nobody else would let in, pick up things other people drop, take turns on a crowded firing line so your brass doesn't hit the guy next to you firing, perform 12 days of christmas to the old widow next door 'secretly', smile and greet your neighbors who never smile back, go the extra mile with people who normally don't deserve it, hug and kiss your spouse like you did when you dated, knock up your wife to show her you care!  lol.

Actually, my wife gets very depressed after child birth (which is apparently normal and called "post partum depression"), and since I'm not Tom Cruise, I do what is sensitive and loving to make her feel loved, valuable, and deserving of happiness.  And I think that's the key..to instil the feeling of self worth in the one who is depressed.  If they can accept that there's value to their life, then they're reaching a cure to what ails them.  A phrase I often quote rings true here: "The entire sum of existence is to feel loved by just one person."  Word.  now let's all have a big emo orgy hug here on DS&T....awwwwwww
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky
My son if I ever get to see him again.

Video Games, Music, Fly Fishing, more video games.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6695
Going for a walk outside and admiring my surroundings works well. Keeping myself busy works very well. Whether it be doing school work, making a trinket or making a play list in iTunes, it all works.

Commie Killer wrote:

Work. Manual Labor.
If I had land it would be covered in sheds, benches, fire pits, towers, and all sorts of crap I'd build.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2008-03-25 09:23:06)

Lai
+186|6153

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Although BF2s aint the best place to forget about something when 99.5% of the topics are about relationships
Lol +1
Lai
+186|6153

JahManRed wrote:

bear in mind Northern Ireland has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world
I'd sworn suicide rates were higher in Greenland or artic regions in general. There are generally far more people with a depression over there as a consequence of  the 6 month day-night cycle severely disrupting their biological clock.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6692|Tampa Bay Florida
For me.....

thinking about stuff.  like philosophy, you know?  Maybe thats just me.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH
fireworks and explosions
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6338|Oregon
The sun, a good movie, making music, watching baseball (and football... but baseball is usually accompanied by the sun, so...), listening to The Beatles or Frank Black, talking to a certain friend, painting, writing (although sometimes it does exactly the opposite), playing board games with my friends, throwing a football around... or a Frisbee, playing disc golf, walking, rugby, tea, watching birds, shouting, hiking, being somewhere new (where anxiety replaces depression! woooohoo.....), watching suttsteve on youtube (seriously, look it up), going back to my parents' house, seeing my little brother, seeing my extended family, reading a light book, throwing rocks at trees or skipping them on rivers, singing, whistling, swimming, laughing and closing my eyes.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Flaming me is overrated. Seriously.

I've never been clinically depressed, but when I feel down, I think of or play with my kids.

My daughter's smile lights up the darkest day.

When I think I've had a bad day, my son's smile tells me that no matter how bad my day, it hasn't been as challenging as his...and he can still smile.

Puts everything in perspective. Especially when Dilbert gets me wound up.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
IRONCHEF
+385|6493|Northern California

FEOS wrote:

Flaming me is overrated. Seriously.

I've never been clinically depressed, but when I feel down, I think of or play with my kids.

My daughter's smile lights up the darkest day.

When I think I've had a bad day, my son's smile tells me that no matter how bad my day, it hasn't been as challenging as his...and he can still smile.

Puts everything in perspective. Especially when Dilbert gets me wound up.
Awwww...can i give you a hug?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard