Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Pug wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Pug wrote:

Wait a minute Kerry.  I already crossed Cheney off my Xmas card list.  Do I send him a card or just an email?

Whatever the report says, I believe something had to be done...but the debatable part was - did it have to be us?
Just don't send him a shotgun. The point I am making is to read the actual report. I am seriously perplexed at how anyone can read it and then create a topic around the idea that it said there was no link.
People believe what they want to believe.  Proven daily here is it not?

BTW that guy Cheney shot was choppered into a hospital three blocks from my house.
True enough I guess. This is all looking back now of course. Forget the fact that Congress has always been privet to the same intelligence Bush had.  As a conservative I have lot's of other (domestic) reasons to be pissed off about when it comes to Bush.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
chittydog
less busy
+586|6853|Kubra, Damn it!

TC.Troy wrote:

No matter if I agree with the reasons for the invasion or no, I 100% support the use of force THERE, instead of them using 100% force HERE...against unarmed defenseless civilian targets.
I guess you missed the point. When we invaded, we weren't fighting THEM there, we were fighting someone else there. Saddam Hussein was a dick to be sure, but he didn't let terrorists into his playground. If we really wanted to fight terrorists on their turf, we should've kept our focus on Afganistan.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6578

Kmarion wrote:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/pdf/Pentagon_Report_V1.pdf

Saddam Hussein had plenty of ties to all sorts of terrorist groups, including radical Islamist jihadis.
(34-35)
The agent reports (Extract 25) that The Army of Muhammad is working with Osama bin Laden. …

A later memorandum from the same collection to the Director of the IIS reports that the Army of Muhammad is endeavoring to receive assistance [from Iraq] to implement its objectives, and that the local IIS station has been told to deal with them in accordance with priorities previously established. The IIS agent goes on to inform the Director that “this organization is an offshoot of bin Laden, but that their objectives are similar but with different names that can be a way of camouflaging the organization.”
AoM had ambitious plans including attacks on American interests. On page 35, the Iraqis list their aims as attacking Jewish and American interests anywhere in the world, attacking American embassies, disrupting American oil supplies and tankers, and attacking the American military bases in the Middle East.The Iraqi support for AoM may not be an operational link, but it’s certainly a financial link that goes right to Osama bin Laden. The Iraqis certainly understood that much, and hoped to keep it quiet.

You might want to pay attention to the actual conclusion of the report as well.
One question remains regarding Iraq’s terrorism capability: Is there anything in the captured archives to indicate that Saddam had the will to use his terrorist capabilities directly against United States? Judging from examples of Saddam’s statements (Extract 34) before the 1991 Gulf War with the United tates, the answer is yes.

In the years between the two Gulf Wars, UN sanctions reduced Saddam’s ability to shape regional and world events, steadily draining his military, economic, and military powers. The rise of Islamist fundamentalism in the region gave Saddam the opportunity to make terrorism, one of the few tools remaining in Saddam’s “coercion” toolbox, not only cost effective but a formal instrument of state power. Saddam nurtured this capability with an infrastructure supporting (1) his own particular brand of state terrorism against internal and external threats, (2) the state sponsorship of suicide operations, and (3) organizational relationships and “outreach programs” for terrorist groups. Evidence that was uncovered and analyzed attests to the existence of a terrorist capability and a willingness to use it until the day Saddam was forced to flee Baghdad by Coalition forces.
When attacking Western interests, the competitive terror cartel
came into play, particularly in the late 1990s. Captured documents reveal that the
regime was willing to co-opt or support organizations it knew to be part of al
Qaeda-as long as that organization's near-term goals supported Saddam's longterm
vision. A directive (Extract 24) from the Director for International Intelligence
in the IIS to an Iraqi operative in Bahrain orders him to investigate a particular
terrorist group there, The Army of Muhammad.
Captured Iraqi documents have uncovered evidence that links the regime of Saddam Hussein to regional and global terrorism, including a variety of revolutionary, liberation, nationalist and Islamic terrorist organizations. While these documents do not reveal direct coordination and assistance between the Saddam regime and the al Qaeda network, they do indicate that Saddam was willing to use, albeit cautiously, operatives affiliated with al Qaeda as long as Saddam could have these terrorist-operatives monitored closely. Because Saddam's security organizations and Osama bin Laden's terrorist network operated with similar aims (at least in the short term), considerable overlap was inevitable when monitoring, contacting, financing, and training the same outside groups. This created both the appearance of and, in some way, a "de facto" link between the organizations. At times, these organizations would work together in pursuit of shared goals but still maintain their autonomy and independence because of innate caution and mutual distrust. Though the execution of Iraqi terror plots was not always successful, evidence shows that Saddam’s use of terrorist tactics and his support for terrorist groups remained strong up until the collapse of the regime.
I seriously suggest that anyone interested in this report should read it themselves. It is being spun both ways.

Whether the report is right or wrong I simply do not understand how anyone can interpret that it is saying no link.
Again, read it yourself: http://a.abcnews.com/images/pdf/Pentagon_Report_V1.pdf
You always own in your posts, kudos.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

chittydog wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

No matter if I agree with the reasons for the invasion or no, I 100% support the use of force THERE, instead of them using 100% force HERE...against unarmed defenseless civilian targets.
I guess you missed the point. When we invaded, we weren't fighting THEM there, we were fighting someone else there. Saddam Hussein was a dick to be sure, but he didn't let terrorists into his playground. If we really wanted to fight terrorists on their turf, we should've kept our focus on Afganistan.
Terrorist "turf" is everywhere. Even in Venice, Florida. It is usually better to just enlist the cooperation of governments... when possible at least.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6565|the best galaxy
No need to apologize.
English is not my 1. language. F.ex. I don't know what ambiguous means (but I'm going to look it up).
I was trying to express my opinion that:
1. Most of us knew this (I imagin?).
2. It's a real tragedy about the lives lost.
3. Saddam's gone - great
4. The Iraqi oil is now in US corporations control.
5. This will mean higher oil prices.
6. The neocons/CFR's/Bilderbergers allways wins and we loose (Our lives/money).

That was my point. Sorry if it came out as a mystery...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Almost. 4. The Iraq oil is currently being bid on by several different investment firms in many nations . (Turkey, Russia, China, etc.) The production has been held up mostly due to political disagreement amongst Iraqis.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661
I could have told you this
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6565|the best galaxy
Just curious - who gets the money? Do You know? Thx.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661
people dont work for free
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6591

Bertster7 wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

US death toll past 4000.

What is the total US death toll as a result of Islamic terrorism this century (by that I mean over the past 100 years)? I doubt it's 4000.
wtf??

The trade center cost almost 3000 lives.  The barracks bombing in Beirut killed 300+ Marines...
Thats just 2 that jump to mind quickly.
Still gives us (according to you) about 98 more years to look at...

Seems to me they were AT LEAST 3/4 of the way there long before anything else happened.  geezus...
Yup and the Cole bombing cost about 17 lives.

Where are the rest?

About 1000 to go.

There weren't any before '74. When there were 79 killed in a plane bombing.
Another 2 dead in '77.
1 in '82.
1 in '90.
8 in '93.
1 in '94.
2 in '95.
1 in '97.
2 in '02.
1 in '06.

I make it 3089.

This proactive attempt to combat terrorism has clearly not worked. More American lives have been lost trying (and failing miserably, just making the situation worse) to stop terrorism than have been lost as a result of Islamic terrorism itself.

In many ways 9/11 worked doubly well for Al-Qaeda. They killed lots of Americans and the backlash (particularly Iraq) it provoked meant they got to kill many more.
Wow...forgot about Beirut pretty fast.  And I wonder about killings that we dont hear about...
And where do those numbers come from?   And who says YOU have all the numbers?

...and while we are counting corpses...geezus...why is it all about American deaths?  We arent any different than any other nationality thats lost a soldier in this conflict.  Why all the focus on American military deaths?  Because its "our war" ?  it's disgusting really.
Why not count deaths in Israel, Afghanistan, Greece, Turkey, India, Pakistan, UK (yeah lets not forget about London)...anywhere that extreme-ism has struck and killed CIVILIANS.

Its my opinion that the US military is far better equiped and trained to kill terrorists/insurgents (word of the day, you choose) than buildings, office workers, flight crews, mothers, daughters etc etc...

And who chose 4000 as a magic number?  There were more Americans killed on 6 June 1944 than there have been in 5 years of conflict in Iraq. 
geezus...
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6591

chittydog wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

No, I didnt miss the point.  Not at all.

Let me ask you this.  If you were Sadam Hussien, would you fucking document your relationship with the most wanted person/group on the face of the planet?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6428|'Murka

While there was some rhetoric early on about a possible AQ-Saddam linkage, that was nipped pretty early. Yes, Cheney continued to make comments, but nobody took him seriously.

The invasion was NEVER about AQ and Saddam working together, and most people know that.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6423|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

While there was some rhetoric early on about a possible AQ-Saddam linkage, that was nipped pretty early. Yes, Cheney continued to make comments, but nobody took him seriously.

The invasion was NEVER about AQ and Saddam working together, and most people know that.
Yeah, Cheney is only the VP.  It's not like we should expect him to be truthful and realistic.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Yeah, Cheney is only the VP.  It's not like we should expect him to be truthful and realistic.
Or congress for that matter.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Or congress for that matter.
touche...  sad but true
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Oh yeah?
Here's a snippet from Bush's 'Mission Accomplished' speech.

"The liberation of Iraq is a crucial advance in the campaign against terror. We've removed an ally of al Qaeda, and cut off a source of terrorist funding. And this much is certain: No terrorist network will gain weapons of mass destruction from the Iraqi regime, because the regime is no more"

Not sure source is reliable, up to you to judge http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases … 01-15.html

So, there were no WMD, there was no linkage between Saddam and AQ - Despite Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney etc repeatedly claiming otherwise.

What exactly was the Iraq invasion about then?
Why did the US govt feel the need to lie so freely and so repeatedly?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-03-25 01:55:04)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Oh yeah?
Here's a snippet from Bush's 'Mission Accomplished' speech.

"The liberation of Iraq is a crucial advance in the campaign against terror. We've removed an ally of al Qaeda, and cut off a source of terrorist funding. And this much is certain: No terrorist network will gain weapons of mass destruction from the Iraqi regime, because the regime is no more"

Not sure source is reliable, up to you to judge http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases … 01-15.html

So, there were no WMD, there was no linkage between Saddam and AQ - Despite Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney etc repeatedly claiming otherwise.

What exactly was the Iraq invasion about then?
Why did the US govt feel the need to lie so freely and so repeatedly?
Do we really have to start this merry-go-round again?

Hindsight is 20/20, revisionist history...whatever you want to call your approach.

Multiple countries' intel pointed (incorrectly) to an active WMD program in Iraq. Those indicators were the result of a successful deception op by Saddam to make Iran think he had WMD. Corroborated by multiple high-level Iraqis after the war, including Saddam himself. And as you can see by Kmarion's post, there was concern that Iraq would provide some support for AQ or other terrorist orgs (based on Saddam's own words) because of common hatred for the US and the West in general.

Were there actually WMD? Probably not.

Was the invasion (in hindsight) a mistake? Of course.

Is this inane line of discussion getting fucking old? Yep.

Give it up. It's been 5 years, and no amount of bitching by you on a video game forum is going to un-invade Iraq.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6391|Kyiv, Ukraine

FEOS wrote:

Do we really have to start this merry-go-round again?
Probably until it sinks in.

Hindsight is 20/20, revisionist history...whatever you want to call your approach.

Multiple countries' intel pointed (incorrectly) to an active WMD program in Iraq. Those indicators were the result of a successful deception op by Saddam to make Iran think he had WMD. Corroborated by multiple high-level Iraqis after the war, including Saddam himself. And as you can see by Kmarion's post, there was concern that Iraq would provide some support for AQ or other terrorist orgs (based on Saddam's own words) because of common hatred for the US and the West in general.
You really think we were so easily "tricked"?  Is that what the kids are saying these days?  The second Bush stepped into the Oval office, the first words out of his mouth besides "Where's Laura with my fucking blow, she should have been back 2 hours ago?" was "How are we gonna fuck up Iraq?".

Were there actually WMD? Probably not.
It was important at one time, until it isn't important.  Sort of like "supporting the troops".  Useful when they're "volunteering for Democracy", but easily discarded when they're trying to collect the benefits rightfully due after being used.  Same with those pesky facts, useful when they're "supporting the Party line", easily discarded when they no longer do this.

Was the invasion (in hindsight) a mistake? Of course.
Hindsight, foresight, side-sight, basically from any angle it was a load of BS.  Did the average Joe American know better?  Of course not.  Did our elected leaders have a responsibility to make the right decisions instead of manipulating the public?  They should be drawn and quartered.

Is this inane line of discussion getting fucking old? Yep.
A cop out of the first order.  Reminds me of a lawyer saying: If the facts are against you, argue the law, if the law is against you, argue the facts, if the facts and law are against you, call the other guy an asshole for bringing up either one.

Give it up. It's been 5 years, and no amount of bitching by you on a video game forum is going to un-invade Iraq.
*static* Pot to Kettle...Pot to Kettle...come in Kettle.... *static*
Its a good release valve, no amount of bitching about any topic here is going to change much of anything.  Personally, I find this forum very useful to see the practical results of the right and left-wing propoganda apparatus...how the message filters down to the "average joe", so to speak.  You read the headlines on the CNN or MSN websites, and then are able to see exactly what resonates by what gets put on the forums here.  Sort of a case study in "throw shit at a wall and see what sticks".

To denegrate someone for debating on a video game forum, who is here with as much right and interest as anyone else, is just silly.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX

FeOS wrote:

Blah Blah blah.
If you don't like this thread then stay off it. The report debunking the Saddam-AQ link is recent news so get bent.

Don't make dumb statements like
which are patently wrong.
I'm sorry your excuse for a President has proven you wrong with his public pronouncements, I can't help that.
Maybe you should watch the news now and then, then you'd know about this kind of thing and wouldn't end up looking so stupid.

There is no revisionist history.
That the lies are being uncovered is not revisionism - its the facts coming out.

Its not 20/20 hindsight either, it was clear at the time the WMD theories and AQ linkage were total bunk.
Take a note from GorillaTicTacs who was clearly in deeper than you.

Here are a few contemporary cartoons, not everyone believed the guff the Pentagon was spewing out. http://www.robrogers.com/
https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/Dilbert_X/DuctTape.gif

https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/Dilbert_X/SmokingGun.gif

I like this one too.
https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/Dilbert_X/Liberation.gif
A cop out of the first order.  Reminds me of a lawyer saying: If the facts are against you, argue the law, if the law is against you, argue the facts, if the facts and law are against you, call the other guy an asshole for bringing up either one.
Good point, I've noticed FeOS always starts up with the insults when he's lost the argument.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-03-25 06:22:05)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

juvenile

just absolutely childish

I didn't call anyone a name, I didn't denigrate anyone. Pointing out that bitching about something on a video game forum (an argument Dilbert has used on occasion, btw) won't un-make the thing they're bitching about is not denigrating anyone...just pointing out facts.

And I tire--rapidly--of people whose sum total of experience on the matter comes from the media. Not that I'm applying that characterization to GorillaTicTacs. He may very well have been privy to the raw intel, analysis, objectives, and strategic/operational level planning involved. I know for a fact that Dilbert wasn't.

The name calling and bullshit is ridiculous. I weigh in on yet another "Bush lied people died" thread from Dilbert, and because I point out fact to counter the OP, I'm the idiot. Whatever.

Opinion can't un-make the facts as I saw them. Especially opinion based solely on what can be found to back up an admittedly biased viewpoint about all things Bush.

I'm no fan of Bush, but to characterize his first words in office as "bring me my blow" and "let's invade iraq" (or words to that effect, as I can't see the post right now) is ludicrous, and below the level of quality usually seen in Gorilla's posts. Expected from Dilbert, but not Gorilla.

Last edited by FEOS (2008-03-25 12:01:41)

― Albert Einstein

GorillaTicTacs
+231|6391|Kyiv, Ukraine

FEOS wrote:

And I tire--rapidly--of people whose sum total of experience on the matter comes from the media. Not that I'm applying that characterization to GorillaTicTacs. He may very well have been privy to the raw intel, analysis, objectives, and strategic/operational level planning involved. I know for a fact that Dilbert wasn't.
I'm no fan of Bush, but to characterize his first words in office as "bring me my blow" and "let's invade iraq" (or words to that effect, as I can't see the post right now) is ludicrous, and below the level of quality usually seen in Gorilla's posts. Expected from Dilbert, but not Gorilla.
Here's what we find out in 2004 after O'Neill is put out to pasture...

O’Neill declared that the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in Iraq was “Topic A” at the first National Security Council meeting of the new administration, which he attended, on January 30, 2001. “From the start, we were building the case against Hussein and looking at how we could take him out,” he said. “It was about finding a way to do it. That was the tone of it. The President saying, ‘Fine. Go find me a way to do this.’”
But in the eyes of his colleagues in the Bush cabinet, the only question was how to obtain a suitable pretext for war. There was no objective examination of the question of weapons of mass destruction, which became the staple of Bush administration propaganda in the run-up to the war, O’Neill said.
“In the 23 months I was there, I never saw anything that I would characterize as evidence of weapons of mass destruction,” he told Time. “There were allegations and assertions by people. But I’ve been around a hell of a long time, and I know the difference between evidence and assertions and illusions or allusions and conclusions that one could draw from a set of assumptions. To me there is a difference between real evidence and everything else. And I never saw anything in the intelligence that I would characterize as real evidence.”
As far as my own experience, besides being an intel analyst with ME specialty, was when I switched MOS and became a sysadmin (74B) keeping my security clearance.  I was put in charge of babysitting the SIPRnet accounts for everyone up to the 2-star at a TSC in Germany.  Normally, that computer was quiet as a mouse...just one sitting in a vault.  Once a week I would need to scan something in to send from the G-2, or the 2 star might get an email that needed printed off and delivered.  Feb 2001, it goes apeshit.  5 to 10 emails a day.  Strangely:

- They were addressed to no one in particular, I had to decide by context of the content where to deliver them.  They were obviously very hastily sent out, or form letters that had been in planning a long time and just thrown out as quick as possible.
- Some of them were directly signed off by Rumsfeld or one of his undersecretaries.
- Most of them were completely benign, things that came over the NIPRnet before.  Nothing operationally secret.  Basically, there was a new obsession with classifying EVERYTHING secret/top secret.  This was the main reason for the 2000% jump in traffic.
- Without getting too specific, I'll just relay the first comments from the ASG CO, a colonel, when I delivered my first stack of crap that I couldn't figure out who they went to.  He read the top letter and was like "Looks like we're going to a desert..."  This was 14 Feb 2001.  I remember because I nearly missed V-Day with my new redhead girl, I was there past 8pm running stuff to the ASG HQ, and the Colonel was with his (very hot) wife, otherwise alone (his brutal big german lady secreatary was gone for the day), in his office ready to take him out.

Once you knew this, what you saw on TV after 9/11 and how they made an almost rythmic progression to Iraq was not surprising, just surreal.  You knew it was a done deal.  You knew no matter what diplomatic measures were reported, no matter what inspectors Saddam let in, you already knew what the answer was and what the outcome was going to be.  And you couldn't tell anyone around you, not because you were sworn to secrecy, but because you didn't want to break anyone's heart or secretly wishing you were wrong.  It was like watching a shitty movie you already knew the ending to play out in slow motion.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

It was like watching a shitty movie you already knew the ending to play out in slow motion.
thats pretty well said.  Certainly echoes the feelings I had before, during and after deployment
FEOS
+1,182|6428|'Murka

I agree with your shitty movie analogy. We went from "it's just an OPLAN review" in spring 2002 rapidly to "shit, we're going to do this" by summer/fall. Not so much an emotional reaction, but more the trepidation that comes with preparing to engage in combat ops, regardless of the reasons behind it.

I can remember many of us at the JOC shaking our heads, wondering why Bush and Cheney were saying there was a linkage when there were only two marginal ties (Zarqawi and AAI). I emphasize marginal. When that marginal nature was re-emphasized with the administration, the AQ-Iraq linkage rhetoric dropped off dramatically.

Be that as it may, none of the objectives we were given to plan against involved anything nefarious...it was all focused on taking out the leadership and isolating/securing the suspected WMD sites. If we knew there were no WMD, then why was securing the suspected sites and performing SSE the singular focus of the initial push?

That's the part that bugs me about Dilbert's diatribes. If everyone knew there was no WMD and it was all about oil, then why were oil fields a lower priority than the WMD sites?

It's one thing to be intellectually honest and examine ALL points of view regarding something as contentious as this. It's another to accept ONLY the stories/opinions that support one's preconceived notions without question and then dismiss without consideration those that oppose your preconceived notions.
― Albert Einstein

Turquoise
O Canada
Here's what I don't get..  There seems to be a general consensus here that invasion was a bad idea.

So why the fuck does about half of this country want to stay in Iraq longer?  Let's get the fuck out.  We tried to fix it, but it's costing us too damn much.
c14u53w172
+31|6016|tomania
WHAT!!?? saddam was osamas best friend. they were in school together. saddam planned 9/11. and he had wmd...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard