lowyaukee
+2|6852
BF2 is a great game and I want to invest a bit more on it. 

The two 5.1 headphones below are on my short-list: -

(1) zalman:
https://www.pcbulb.com/images/zalman/ZM-RS6F/zm_rs6f_f_p.jpg

(2) icemat:
https://99hk.biz/Headset/icemat%20siberia%20white.JPG

I know there may be tons in the US market.  But there are only a few in Hong Kong, the lovely place where I live.  And I just found that that Amazon doesn't deliver the headphones worldwide......

So, is anyone using the above two and has some comments on either of them?  Or do you have any other suggestion?  You know, Hong Kong is a small place, so a headphone is the only way.

Thanks.
lowyaukee
+2|6852
OH!  I forgot to put the model numbers.

They are Zalman ZM-RS6F+M & Icemat Siberia.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6865|"Frisco"

I've actually been looking too. Only, I want it all. I want 5.1 AND I want it to have a mic. No luck so far
lowyaukee
+2|6852

chuyskywalker wrote:

I've actually been looking too. Only, I want it all. I want 5.1 AND I want it to have a mic. No luck so far
Mic is included in Icemat Siberia.
lowyaukee
+2|6852
Chuy, this may help: -

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20 … index.html

Though none of them could be found in my place.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6865|"Frisco"

Hrm. I wish there was a place to just go test these kinds of headphones, but so far I've found none. Also, the mic that comes with the ice one's looks kinda wussy -- boom mics (attached at the left ear) are much better, imo.
Ash_Buckley
+0|6854
Best so far I have found with the features I require, boom mic and cupped ear. Are DJ headphones of one sort or another, and they can be rather expensive. I bought two pairs my last time, for fear I would not be able to find another pair as easily.
Bruce
+1|6835
how do i know if my sound card is 5.1 ready?
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6865
I use the Sennheiser PC150:

http://www.sennheisercommunications.com … ctId=PC150

They retail for about $150 USD, but I picked them up on eBay for $50.

Very comfortable and good sound/microphone. 

They don't rate them as "5.1" but that is still only simulated on those that do rate themselves that way. 

I can still clearly tell/hear which way the enemy helo is flying in from.
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6856|Munich, Germany
i also have the sennheiser PC150 but it was only 80 € here in germany

but the icemat looks really temting hmm nno i didnt want to spend more money for my pc this year, at least not useless

the 5.1 headphones only give you a little advantage over a normal good stereo set. so far i could distiinguish with 2 channels where enemys are and to be honest in BF2 its not so useful anyway, i played AA  the last years and there i can really hear if the opfr is picking his nose on the other side of the map
priznat
+0|6865
I have a really nice pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD590s) already but unfortunately no microphone.. Personally I'm not big on voice chat with strangers anyway.

I kind of think those 5.1 headphones are gimmicks anyway, I don't think they would do all that much better at simulating a sound stage than regular headphones, and the quality probably isn't as good for other things like music etc.. Regular headphones + EAX are excellent for picking out sound locations, saved my bacon a number of times!
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6865|"Frisco"

Several of you are neglecting the fact that many 5.1 headphones actually have 3-4 speakers in each ear piece which actually puts them on par with many actuall 5.1 speaker set ups.

Also, every single review I've read about true 5.1 headphones (not 5.1 emulated) says, regardless of any other attribute of the phones, that your ability to directionalize audio is very much increased.

There was also another set of phones that came as regular headphones, but was accompanied by a super awesome dolby digital decoder that would accept a signal from your optical output and '5.1' it into a two-channel output for the headphones. The reviews for that were extremely positive, and if the headset would have had a mic, I probably would have already bought it.
priznat
+0|6865

chuyskywalker wrote:

Several of you are neglecting the fact that many 5.1 headphones actually have 3-4 speakers in each ear piece which actually puts them on par with many actuall 5.1 speaker set ups.
Yeah, I've seen the Zalman ones, and I was not too impressed. They are really big and chunky and didn't feel all that comfy. Then again, they are cheap. Comparing the ~$30 zalmans to $200+ Sennheisers/AKG/Grado is unfair, I will admit. And they are cheap enough to just buy for games and listen to music with something else! Still seems gimmicky to me though, but then I have yet to try them. They look friggin huge!
lowyaukee
+2|6852
I am relunctant to spend more than USD100 in a headphone.  You know, I still have to wait for the new release of Logitech G5 mouse and Creative X-Fi sound card.  HA~~

I think I will choose the icemat stuff because some pro gamers in Hong Kong highly recommend it.

Cheers.
ResDog1
+51|6783|Netherlands
Well I just bought a pair of Medusa 5.1's from a guy who won an Syberia Icemat.
I tried his Icemat, and they were very good, but my Medusa 5.1 is awesome too.

Surround does work pretty good.
Tried it in BF2 and with Lord of the rings extended 5.1 edition... Spooky, when Gandalf walks out of frame and you hear him speaking in your right ear.

2 minus points:
1. Front and rear are distinguishable, but if you do not setup your headset the right way (tweak the several volume meters) it is very hard to hear.
2. Setup is a bitch. Took me 2hours to work out which cable goes where and what the best setup is.

Pluspoints
1. After you set it up right.... Man you are blown away
2. Very good soundquality (although basesounds could be a bit better)
3. That breakoutbox
4. You can connect it to your DVD player and get surround sound.

So with the 5.1 Medusa you cannot go wrong for the price. But if you can get your hands on an Icemat I would guess take that one (there is a reason this guys sold his Medusa and not his Icemat).
Hyper_Dude
+5|6841|United Knigdom
I bought the Medusa Headset too. I have the normal version, about a month after I got it they brought out a USB version which would have been nice. It can be seen on the link:
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=pri& … le=172076_

They did increase my gameplay performance. I used to play CoD before BF2 came out, and my friend and his clan just whooped me everytime. However, with this head set I could tell where they were half the time, and my K/D ratio shot up! The difference in performance is noticable, my friend could tell when i had them on, and when i didn't!

They are heavy, the amount of times they slip making it uncomfortable is really annoying, but its similar to what most people have wanted. Just don't stand near grenades, with a small sub in each ear, it can hurt.

One bad problem with these surrond sound headphones, I suffered from headaches! I never get headaches, only when I'm really ill, but playing too much with 3/4 speakers next to each ear really screwed up my head and gave me horrible headaches.
ResDog1
+51|6783|Netherlands
On another note.... The Siberia Icemat is not a 5.1 surround headset.
Just look at the number of connectors.. just 2 (one for audio and one for mic). But with the new Soundblasters X-fi card this should not be a problem. The virual surround on the X-fi is amazing and with this pair of Icemats you get really good sound. And with a price of $50 it is $30 cheaper than the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 classic (non usb).

Personally I would never go for a USB headset. Seems they cause some problems in games and do not perform as well.

The Zalman does not perform well in tests, so you are left with the choice between Siberia Icemat and Speedlink Medusa 5.1 classic.

And I agree. The Icemat does have a better fit on the head than the medusa , but I can live with that considering the pluspoints of the medusa.

If you have an X-fi card, go for the Icemat (+ price, good soundqualitiy, good fit, light, easy setup since it is a sterio headset - not real 5.1) else go for the Medusa (+real 5.1, good sound, nice breakout volumebox, goldplated connectors, can connect to a DVD player - heavy in prolonged wear, more expensive +but still awesome value+ , have not had the headaches yet so cannot comment on that, - a bitch to set up {but there is a lot of help in the forums so you will manage}).

Well it is up to you.
Seth Infinite
+3|6757|Houston, The Republic of Texas
Turtle Beach 5.1:

Just bought the cheaper set for US $60.00. Eight speaker headphones with detachable mic. Four speakers each side: front, rear, center and vib (subwoofer). They sound really good with great directional separation but they're a bit uncomfortible with glasses. They also had a $100.00 set.

Note: Make sure your system has 3 outputs: Front, Rear and Center/subwoofer with a mic input. Most onboard sound systems do not have all 3 outputs.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6755
http://www.xoxide.com/ltb-ac97-51-surro … hones.html
or
http://www.xoxide.com/ltb-usb-51-surrou … hones.html

I have the AC97 one it works great it was only 60 bux when i bought it like 3 months ago.

on my other computer i use a ps2 socom 1 mic and a regular pair of headphones.
twistedsphere
+0|6764
Lowyaukee -

Being in the market myself for a time, I did some pretty exhaustive research of the 5.1 headphone market and I have to say that our stateside options are probably nearly as limited as yours.

A quick rundown on the Zalmans:

While they're definitely the most unique in design, they're about the weakest in the bass department. They're also about as clunky as they look to wear. 5.1 reproduction is relatively limited, but not the worst.

The Icemat Siberias aren't 5.1 multi-driver headphones. They're standard 2-channel headsets with excellent sound quality and bass reproduction. You will need to buy the additional USB connector for simulated 5.1 effects.

The Turtle Beach HPA headphones really interested me for quite a while. They've got a detatchable flexible boom mic that reportedly has very nice noise cancellation and sound quality; they also have very nice bass, being one of the only units to use a floating bass driver placed behind the front, center and rear drivers in a shaker mechanism. They have an in-line volume adjuster with a master and channel-specific controls, and are externally powered. They do get some low marks for their rear channel, and are built with shallow ear cups that can result in sore ears as fast as 30 minutes by some people. They are by far the most feature-rich 5.1 headphones that I've found so far, and despite their shortcomings are the ones I would most likely buy another pair of if I truly had to have a 5.1 headset.

What I ended up buying instead are the Thrustmaster T510's. They come with a miniature external Dolby Digital decoder, with both analog and optical-in jacks and are spectacular on both the computer and on the home theater. They do not have multiple drivers in each side, instead relying on hardware-driven HRTF (head-related transfer function) technology and I have to say that in a side-by side comparison with my Audigy 2 ZS and a Inspire T7700 7.1 speaker system they perform incredibly well. While the environment created by my speaker system was superior only by merit that the sound sources were being more accurately interpreted by my ears and not simulated acoustics, the Thrustmaster system brought a depth of detail to the sound that I'd never heard before. It was like trading a 32" TV and VCR for the visual crispness of a 7" portable DVD player. No it's not as big, but is it truly better? Can you wrap up the cords on a 32" TV and put it in your LAN bag? Not me, they're too damn heavy.

Utimately, the best advice I can give you is to try for yourself as many models as you can to see which satisfies your ears the most. Gaming cyber cafe's usually have that stuff for sale, along with your usual computer stores and online retail outlets. I was lucky enough to have friends with two different models, and the computer store I bought the HPA's from were kind enough to let me return them.

Keep an eye out for a company called Jasco. They're developing a pair of 5.1 headphones that took prizes at the 2005 CES convention. They're hard to find online and aren't on the market yet, but try to at least find a picture. They're pretty impressive looking, and I can't wait to see what they're capable of.

-twisted

Last edited by twistedsphere (2005-12-06 23:06:02)

NamelessMarine
+0|6753
What exactly does the 5.1 mean really?  Im' very not knowlegable on sound related stuff...
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6765|The United Center

NamelessMarine wrote:

What exactly does the 5.1 mean really?  Im' very not knowlegable on sound related stuff...
5 satellite speakers and 1 subwoofer.

there is also 7.1 but i dont think they make 7.1 headphones.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard