Seth Infinite
+3|6735|Houston, The Republic of Texas
Went shopping for a new mouse tonight but did not find what I want. I did see a couple of interesting and comfortable trackballs though. Does anybody use a trackball? - comments.

My problem is finger drag. I really need a shelf to put my little finger on. I almost got gangreen one night because I was using a rubberband to hold it against my ring finger. Anyone want to suggest a mouse that might cure my problem? Im going to a much bigger and better computer store tomorrow or I could order one online. I hate the online thought because I really want to put my hand on before I buy it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6695|Illinois
I tend to drag my little finger also.  My advice would be to find one with an indentation for the little finger like on the MX500 or MX518 (I think the G5 has one too), I haven't tried any others though so thats the most help I can give you.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I'm still using an old Intellimouse, and it's lasted me for a long time (though it's a bit of a hit & miss with those now-$10 thingies).

If you're right-handed, I would recommend none other than Logitech's G5 Laser Mouse, which has a heck of a finger shelf and in-game, adjustable weight and hard-wired sensitivity toggles of 400, 800 and 2000 DPI.

Since I'm left handed, I've gotten used to draping my hand somewhat askew over my mouse, almost holding it like a sword.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-01-06 20:42:22)

PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6695|Illinois
You actually play with your left hand?  I'm a lefty also but I just became totally accustomed to using my right hand for the mouse and figured most other lefties would have done the same thing out of necessity.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

PitViper401 wrote:

You actually play with your left hand?  I'm a lefty also but I just became totally accustomed to using my right hand for the mouse and figured most other lefties would have done the same thing out of necessity.
I've done FPS's since the early 90s, having fun with Corridor and Wolf3D, so I learned how to do stuff with my right hand (no doubt making it more dextrous in the process).

My common gaming layout is:

Code:

Arrow keys - forward, backward and strafing
# key bar - weapon switching
+/- - scope stuff
Backspace - drop weapon/item
\ - reload
[] - shift through items
' - prone
Enter or ; - Use
/ - duck
, and . - corner peeking
RShift - sprint
Ctrl - slow
Space - jump
T - talk
Y - team talk
U - squad talk
I - inventory / character type select
M - map
N - map modifiers
J, K, L - common actions
Ins, Del, Home, End, PUp, PDn - common actions

Function Keys - misc functions
Number Pad - misc functions
Q-R, A-F - less commonly used functions
I can get alot of game things done with my right hand, and more of the keys are evenly spaced and blocked out (avoiding the warped WSAD movement that hurts my wrist). As a result, I do all of my mousework with my left hand, and though my left-handed grip on the mouse is somewhat skewed, its movement remains true.

Strangely enough, though, I use the flight stick with my right hand, as is proper.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-01-07 01:53:31)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Update:

I saw a bit of news over at VR-Zone about Creative's upcoming Fatal1ty (yes...*sigh*) 2020 mouse.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3089

Though it's not yet up on Creative's website, it is priced competitively against Logitech's own G5, and has similar features. The 2020 beats the G5 in featuring 2400cpi, and still lets you switch in real-time to lower optical resolutions.

Check out the 1010 and see what these things look like. They need a better picture...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-01-07 09:51:02)

s81o
+0|6691
I would suggest the Logitech Trackman Marble if you do decide to go the trackball route.  Excellent build quality, but right handed only afaik. 

It's the one I use.

Last edited by s81o (2006-01-07 11:12:57)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard