ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
And so on.

My dad's dad was imprisoned in Utah for his religion in 1952. His dad was farmer in Beaver Utah in about 1913. His father was a pilgrim who came to Utah with Brigham Young.

3 men. As those of us know who are 30 and beyond, life is a flash, and time is the precious commodity. As you get older time goes quicker, and becomes the most precious commodity.

The span of life for three men. It's not that long, really. But in that time we went from covered wagons to nano technology.

In 1840 nobody envisioned the marvels we take for granted everyday. I keep tripping on the fact that my great great great great grandfather on my fathers side fought in the Revolutionary War.  That means he was only three grandfathers ago. It was like freeging yesterday.

My question is twofold; how on Earth is it possible that technology has come so far so fast?
Where will we be in 100 years?
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

Hell.
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6333|teh alien spaceshit
Damn, come to think of it, Korea's independence from Japan and the Korean War happened only 2 generations ago.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command

Phrozenbot wrote:

Hell.
Your fathers father is in hell?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

ATG wrote:

My question is twofold; how on Earth is it possible that technology has come so far so fast?
1.  By standing on the shoulders of giants.
2.  We will still be standing on the shoulders of giants.

Seriously though, faster means of communication and a greater knowledge of the world has led us to where we are, and an expansion of that will lead us further.  I mention communication because collaboration is often vital to great scientific discovery.
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

"Where will we be in 100 years?" With the things I read and hear, maybe the end is nigh.

ATG wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

Hell.
Your fathers father is in hell?
Possibly, I didn't know the man.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT

ATG wrote:

And so on.

My dad's dad was imprisoned in Utah for his religion in 1952. His dad was farmer in Beaver Utah in about 1913. His father was a pilgrim who came to Utah with Brigham Young.

3 men. As those of us know who are 30 and beyond, life is a flash, and time is the precious commodity. As you get older time goes quicker, and becomes the most precious commodity.

The span of life for three men. It's not that long, really. But in that time we went from covered wagons to nano technology.

In 1840 nobody envisioned the marvels we take for granted everyday. I keep tripping on the fact that my great great great great grandfather on my fathers side fought in the Revolutionary War.  That means he was only three grandfathers ago. It was like freeging yesterday.

I think it is because we can see human technological development as exponentially increasing, which is the result of having technologies enabling more easily the discovery of more advanced technologies.

Example: The atomic bomb and hydrogen bomb. With the atomic bomb, the researchers had to exploded shaped charges around a fake plutonium sphere hundreds of time to find the proper location and direction of the charges to collapse the sphere in a manner that facilitated a reaction. When needing to do something similar the same seven years later with the hydrogen bomb, computers found the answer for them with much less effort and in much less time.

SenorToenails wrote:

ATG wrote:

1.  By standing on the shoulders of giants.
2.  We will still be standing on the shoulders of giants.

Seriously though, faster means of communication and a greater knowledge of the world has led us to where we are, and an expansion of that will lead us further.  I mention communication because collaboration is often vital to great scientific discovery.
That too.

As for the second, I don't want to think about it. Either gone, overpopulated and deteriorating, or on other planets.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-03-18 23:09:56)

Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6647|Camoran's Paradise
Technology seems to move at an exponential rate.  Given this, combined with affect war has on quadrupling technological development, it's no surprise at how far we have come in such a short time. 

Also, consider the fact that science was unheard of and fringed on blasphemic just a few hundred years ago.

In 100 years, there's no telling where we will be (Mars most likely).  Given technology though, I'll probably be around to see it (I hope).

Last edited by Ganko_06 (2008-03-18 23:11:19)

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6482|Somewhere else

It's fun to watch those shows on the moderately far off future.  It always makes me think of the movies in the 40s and 50s that did the same thing and were hilariously waaaaay off.

As long as the world don't slip into WW3, or a new undiscovered plague, we'll probably be doing fairly well.  Although I have a feeling some serious military engagements are coming.  Things that will make iraq looks like a slap fight.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6642|Your moms bedroom
if we werent oppressed by religion for a millenia, i guess we would already be there
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6647

Phrozenbot wrote:

Hell.
good point hahaha
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

ATG wrote:

That'll be that 'intelligence' thing.

ATG wrote:

100? Blimey, it's getting hard to predict 10years from now, let alone 100.

If you're interested in this stuff ATG, I recommend Future Shock - Alvin Toffler - a very interesting read.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6587|Seattle

Phrozenbot wrote:

Hell.
but phrozen goes to heaven.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

Ganko_06 wrote:

Given technology though, I'll probably be around to see it (I hope).
I recently read a theory that by 2024 we will be adding 1 year to our lifespan every year. Immortality here we come!
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Ganko_06 wrote:

I recently read a theory that by 2024 we will be adding 1 year to our lifespan every year. Immortality here we come!
Yay, that does mean immortality. It also means over population, though.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

nukchebi0 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Ganko_06 wrote:

Not when you've got a whole universe to populate.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6642|Your moms bedroom
my fathers fathers fathers whateve, sailed to america on a wooden boat
Moo? Si!
Tall, Dark, Antlered
+39|6130|817---->907

ATG wrote:

And so on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

My dad's dad broke out of a remote Nazi prison and single-handedly put an end to Hitler's supernatural ambitions with nothing but a knife, pistol, MP-40 and a personal minigun. He went on to negotiate conspiracy treaties with the Martians.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6740|The Hague, Netherlands

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

My dad's dad broke out of a remote Nazi prison and single-handedly put an end to Hitler's supernatural ambitions with nothing but a knife, pistol, MP-40 and a personal minigun. He went on to negotiate conspiracy treaties with the Martians.
always nice to hear the old grandpa bedtime stories.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

nukchebi0 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Ganko_06 wrote:

I'd like to see how happy the overpopulation camp would be to 'take one for the team,' when the time comes.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6812|Nårvei

In 100 years ... hm, i think we will be in a war against Jupiter ... according to Kmarion that is a hostile planet ...

My fathers father was an infantery officer during WW1 and his company was on high alert the entire war - Norway was neutral thus not fighting that one ... he also worked on a cargoship before and after the great war sailing around the world numerous times
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651
Let's see...

My father's father's father was an admiral in the British navy. Cool story actually which is why I have to mention him aswell.

-In 1943 the destroyer that he controlled was sailing in the North Sea when it got torpedoed by a German Submarine. The whole ship sank and it was in the middle of February so the water was damn cold. Luckily he was a damn good swimmer as he'd been a navy man his whole life and was able to swim to one of the lifeboats that had was searching for survivors. He had swum four over an hour before he was actually picked up though. When he finally did get in the life vessel he saw a man who was in the water almost drowning with a leg wound. There was only space for one more passenger so he got out and let the injured man take his place. The man later died but my great grandfather swam for about 3 hours in the freezing North Sea before being picked up by a German ship and was, from then on, a German POW. For his actions he was awarded St. George's Cross and made a naval hero. Fucking tough guy.

My grandfather stayed more or less in the family tea business, Earl Grey, most of his career before it was sold off, ended up (for some strange reason) leaving and buying a brewery. He then spent the rest of his career travelling around the country selling his beer. Before this, however, he was in the army after having left Sandhurst and saw action in Malaya. Fucking cool guy aswell.

My father is a lawyer and represents the biggest fertilizer company in world, Yara. He's seen no military action but has on several occasions met with the Russian mafia after they tried to seize a natural gas plant in the Ukraine. lol

Me? I got some tough shit to follow.

EDIT: In a hundred years I think we'll be involved in a follow up of the Cold War. Cold War II.

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2008-03-19 04:11:47)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Me? I got some tough shit to follow.
Me? I'll eventually get to drive around in trucks and watch other people work while drinking coffee. Until then, it's still pavement pounding on top of accounting and design.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-03-19 04:15:53)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
My father's father is a carpenter still.

No idea what his father did when he was alive.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard