pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6741|Rotherham, England
I currently have a

P4 3gig
Asus P4S8X-X mobo
1.5gig Ram (3 x 512MB (2 @ 2700 1 @ 3200)) (will buy a matching 1 gig 3200 soon)
160gig HD
500w PSU
DVD/RW
CDRW
ATI 9600 256MB Graphics Card (shoddy i know)
5.1 Channel Sound card (PCI)

I have been given a nvidia 6800gt card by a friend (well £50 so almost given), the trouble is it is a PCI-E card and not being over technically knowledgeable about mobo's and stuff i am asking for advice on what would be a good and reasonably priced mobo to upgrade to so i can use this lovely card that is currently sat in a box. i know nothing about PCI-E boards at all and lookin at ebuyer.com & dabs hasn't helped me much, having read some of the advice posted on here for other members I thought it would be a good place to ask.

Thanx in Advance
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6717|The United Center
honestly, i think the easiest thing to do...is just give me that card
pedigreeuk

ThomasMorgan wrote:

honestly, i think the easiest thing to do...is just give me that card
Nah, think i'll keep it to be honest, i'll send you the old one though
Azr4eL
+0|6763|Italy
Mmmmhhhhh..... What socket have your P3?? Maibe you must change either RAM & CPU if you want a PCI-E mb... Not sure of this, but you can consider a full upgrade of your PC. Make me know.
pedigreeuk
It's not a P3, it's a Skt 478 P4 3.06ghz and i'd love a full PC upgrade, unfortunately insufficient funds comes into play, in other words i'm skint.
Thanx anyway
pedigreeuk
Can anyone at least recommend one mobo i could use? or do i really need 2 upgrade processor aswell?

Thanx
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6792

pedigreeuk wrote:

Can anyone at least recommend one mobo i could use? or do i really need 2 upgrade processor aswell?

Thanx
The ASUS P4GPL-X, ASUS P4GD1, Albatron PX915P4C Pro, and the ASRock P4Dual-915GL.

The ASUS ones are impossible to find, the Albatron one is only on eBay (if you are lucky), and the ASRock uses crappy OST and Taicon capacitors which doesn't bode well for its longevity.

Good luck!
I would either sell the card and buy an AGP one or upgrade mb and processor - I guess the first since you are tight on $

Leather
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

As Leatherface said, you're going to have a hard time finding these boards, or convincing yourself to pay for them. I found the ASUS P4GD1 for $144, and the P4GPL-X for $94.

6800GT isn't all that bad. I'd say save the card and buy a socket-939 motherboard and an AMD processor.

If you want the best, get the ASUS A8N-32 SLI Deluxe and an Athlon 64 of your choice. If you want cheap, just pick yourself up a $100 Asus A8N-E and a $200 AMD Athlon 64 3500+.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-01-06 20:31:21)

Chef-Daz
+4|6656
I find several websites particuarlly usefull when I am looking for a new "toy" in no specific order...
Hardocp.com
tomshardware.com
anandtech.com
These sites normally do in depth reviews on performance and value for the dollar. You should be able to look through some of the archives and find a mobo that meet your specs, New egg is a good site to buy from and I personally favor Monarchcomputers.com for the selection and options they provide. They have good forums and there techs have always been helpfull to me in my purchasing decisions.
Happy Hunting, I hope this helps.
pedigreeuk
Thanks all, it looks like i'll be spending a little more than planned, but gonna go with the cpu & mobo upgrade.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard