jord
+2,382|6691|The North, beyond the wall.
He plays a good guy in Outlaw. Depends how you define good, but he go's vigilante and wipes the scum from the streets of England.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6680

Shem wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

Remember arrows can go over hills and stuff, bullets can't.
Why not?  Modern bullets just have a longer trajectory.  Fire the same amount of bullets with the same spread as a volley of longbow arrows, with similar effect.
If we are talking over hills, bullets drop at a non lethal termincal velocity, anyone hit would have a big headache though
Gather a dozen or so of your friends around you, shoot a few rounds straight up into the air, wait a few seconds, then post pics of the results.
http://www.gunpolicy.org/Topics/Celebra … nfire.html
jason85
Banned
+58|6010|Mesa, AZ

Shem wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

Remember arrows can go over hills and stuff, bullets can't.
Why not?  Modern bullets just have a longer trajectory.  Fire the same amount of bullets with the same spread as a volley of longbow arrows, with similar effect.
If we are talking over hills, bullets drop at a non lethal termincal velocity, anyone hit would have a big headache though
Not really. That happens if you fire them straight into the air. If you fire a gun and actually try to hit something, even firing at high angles, it can kill, easily.
jord
+2,382|6691|The North, beyond the wall.

jason85 wrote:

Shem wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Not really. That happens if you fire them straight into the air. If you fire a gun and actually try to hit something, even firing at high angles, it can kill, easily.
If I threw a half inch of lead at someone it could kill them.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6680

jord wrote:

If I threw a half inch of lead at someone it could kill them.
LOL.  A hard rock of similar size would do too, especially on a sling.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5946|United States

jason85 wrote:

Shem wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

i'm pretty sure the bullet is gonna come down at nearly the same speed as it goes up >>physics class
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6120|Birmingham, UK

Criminal wrote:

coke wrote:

Criminal wrote:

cant you douche bags read...
he said neither sides have artillery which in the british case means their cannons and shit.
and im pretty sure m16s and m4s > muskets
so

go marines
I can read, just not the future... edit he made about there being no arty
ahh didnt catch that.
sorry fine sir

and you know what... hell 100 marines could probably annihilate the entire british army of the present
Why do people think America is better than UK?

I mean, yeah this country is a dump and all, but, think about it, why do many Americans hate Britain?

Is it because we owned you at one point?

Just why?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6680

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

I mean, yeah this country is a dump and all, but, think about it, why do many Americans hate Britain?

Is it because we owned you at one point?

Just why?
Wat?????  I don't know anyone personally that hates the Brits...  I especially love their women and their accents.  Food and weather sucks though...
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6500|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
OK, this is kinda silly.

To the ones that keep saying, "Well the British have 230K." You could only focus a fraction of your forces on the Marines front. If the Marines were in a well prepped fighting position, the FEBA(forward edge of battle area) would be out to the max effective range of the weapons you have.

Now, 100 Marines sounds like a short company, which would have 3 line platoons and 1 Weapons platoon.

Even with the organic weapons of a STANDARD Marine rife company you have (3)M240s, (3)SMAWs, (3)60mm Mortars. You would also have in the area of (36)M249s, (36)M203s, (90+)M16A4s.

Max effective range on the M240G is 1800m with tracer burn out at 900m.

Max effective M16A4 w/iron sights 550m, RCO(ACOG) you can push that out to about 8-900m.

Unless the British were robots, the mass amount of casualties they take before they even reached effective range of the brown bess, as quoted:

"Accuracy of the Brown Bess was, as with most other muskets, low, primarily due to the lack of sights and the use of undersized military ammunition meant for ease of loading. The effective range is often quoted as 100 yards (meters) but was often fired en masse at 50 m to inflict the greatest damage upon the enemy. The combination of large caliber of the projectile, the heavy weight of its lead construction contributed to its low effective range. Military tactics of the period stressed mass volleys and massed bayonet charges, instead of individual marksmanship. The large soft projectile could inflict a great deal of damage when accurate. The great length of the weapon allowed longer reach in bayonet engagements." 

With men marching shoulder to shoulder in a straight line you could close your eyes and hit someone. The British would be marching, not running,
exposing him to the fire for long ass time.

They would break and run, the panic from the first wave running would cause the successive rank and file to run also.

Now if they were mindless meat puppets...

The British would overwhelm, but after taking horrific losses.

Oh to the ass who says a modren bullet cannot reach behind cover,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunging_fire
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ … 9/appb.htm

We do this with machine guns all day long. Fancy Hats VS. 7.62x51mm Ball.... you do the math.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6476|meh-land

argo4 wrote:

jason85 wrote:

Shem wrote:

i'm pretty sure the bullet is gonna come down at nearly the same speed as it goes up >>physics class
Nope

A bullet comes down a LOT slower than it goes up..
It is launched up, but it only falls down, so not only is it liable to not be falling straight down, but it is also moving a lot slower

I believe it can kill still, but only if it hits the right spots

definitely nothing i would want to test though
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6694|Disaster Free Zone

Blehm98 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

jason85 wrote:

Nope

It is launched up, but it only falls down, so not only is it liable to not be falling straight down, but it is also moving a lot slower

The only reason it would come down slower is a) air resistance and b) terminal velocity (ie. air resistance).
Because it is 'launched up' (which everything that goes up is) it would travel higher and have more time to accelerate back to the ground. In vacuum (or in theory) the initial velocity will be equal but opposite to the return velocity.
Lai
+186|6164

SgtHeihn wrote:

Max effective M16A4 w/iron sights 550m, RCO(ACOG) you can push that out to about 8-900m.
I' say more like 350m IS and 550m ACOG at the most and since you'll probably fighting in a open plain, you're screwed with the 5.56 if the windspeeds go up.

SgtHeihn wrote:

With men marching shoulder to shoulder in a straight line you could close your eyes and hit someone. The British would be marching, not running,

They would break and run, the panic from the first wave running would cause the successive rank and file to run also.
1. They wouldn' break so easily,.. seeing the first lines fall is what they were trained to expect.
2. They might be confined to Imperial technology, they are not confined to imperial tactics. The human mind can adapt,..
jason85
Banned
+58|6010|Mesa, AZ

DrunkFace wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

Nope

The only reason it would come down slower is a) air resistance and b) terminal velocity (ie. air resistance).
Because it is 'launched up' (which everything that goes up is) it would travel higher and have more time to accelerate back to the ground. In vacuum (or in theory) the initial velocity will be equal but opposite to the return velocity.
You do know that people have actually died from this before right? As in they actually had to make a law that makes you a criminal to fire a gun into the air. And they weren't outside, they were relaxing at home probably sleeping, and they catch a bullet in the face or something. And it isn't some fluke accident either, I believe it has happened quite a few times.

The bullet only becomes non-lethal when it begins to tumble, which causes it to slow down in the air and hit on the side of the bullet as opposed to the normal end where you would would shoot someone. It happens because the velocity of the round changes when it is fired normally, even though at higher angles, because of aerodynamics, and that the round isn't tumbling, thus losing energy. Thing is, you'd have to shoot it almost perfectly straight up to get hat effect. Otherwise the round will follow its arched tragectory and land with enough force to put a hole in your ceiling and ruin your lifetime.

They showed this on Mythbusters.

Last edited by jason85 (2008-03-21 02:47:00)

jason85
Banned
+58|6010|Mesa, AZ

argo4 wrote:

jason85 wrote:

Shem wrote:

You are correct, sir.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6594|SE London

Mek-Izzle wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

Screw 1775, the medieval Britain could have wiped out 100 modern marines. Longbows + Cavalry = win

If they rushed with 1000 odd cavalry they would win straight off.
Shit, reminded me of that scene in 300 where the Persians do a huge volley from like, thousands of men armed with bows. They used shields in the film, not sure how Kevlar would respond to that.
It wouldn't. An arrow from a longbow would go straight through kevlar with no problem at all. It's a completely different type of impact.

jason85 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

jason85 wrote:

You are correct, sir.
No, he isn't. The speed it goes up at bears little relation to the speed it comes down at. When it gets as high as it is going it will essentially be a body falling from rest quite high up. Due to the smallness it will have low air resistance and therefore have a high terminal velocity, so it's going to fall quickly. But the differences in applied forces mean that the 2 speeds are only related by the air resistance of the body.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-03-21 03:09:18)

globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6337|Graz, Austria

Bertster7 wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

Screw 1775, the medieval Britain could have wiped out 100 modern marines. Longbows + Cavalry = win

Shit, reminded me of that scene in 300 where the Persians do a huge volley from like, thousands of men armed with bows. They used shields in the film, not sure how Kevlar would respond to that.
It wouldn't. An arrow from a longbow would go straight through kevlar with no problem at all. It's a completely different type of impact.

jason85 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

You are correct, sir.
No, he isn't. The speed it goes up at bears little relation to the speed it comes down at. When it gets as high as it is going it will essentially be a body falling from rest quite high up. Due to the smallness it will have low air resistance and therefore have a high terminal velocity, so it's going to fall quickly. But the differences in applied forces mean that the 2 speeds are only related by the air resistance of the body.
Hmmm...
In a perfectly physical environment (no air resistance, frictions, etc.) it indeed would have the same speed that it was fired upwards.

I think the only variable that makes the downward travel a bit slower is the fact that the projectile fired from the gun travels more stable at first (rifled barrel --> rotation), while on the way down it'll tumble, thus has increased air resistance.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6594|SE London

globefish23 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

jason85 wrote:

You are correct, sir.
Hmmm...
In a perfectly physical environment (no air resistance, frictions, etc.) it indeed would have the same speed that it was fired upwards.

I think the only variable that makes the downward travel a bit slower is the fact that the projectile fired from the gun travels more stable at first (rifled barrel --> rotation), while on the way down it'll tumble, thus has increased air resistance.
But that is a stupid hypothetical schoolboy attitude to physics. Friction and air resistance are of major importance in the real world. IF you ignored friction you wouldn't be able to walk, or drive a car or anything....
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6500|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

Lai wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

I' say more like 350m IS and 550m ACOG at the most and since you'll probably fighting in a open plain, you're screwed with the 5.56 if the windspeeds go up.

SgtHeihn wrote:

1. They wouldn' break so easily,.. seeing the first lines fall is what they were trained to expect.
2. They might be confined to Imperial technology, they are not confined to imperial tactics. The human mind can adapt,..
OK,
1) I for one have shot the M16A4 w/iron sights and ACOG. Yes, you can reach out and touch someone that far with both. (Primary weapon 8yrs)
wind speed or not, men a packed SHOULDER TO SHOULDER!

2) This is not your one or two guys falling like in a movie, this is a jacketed, steel core bullet ripping through. They would not be trained in the type of carnage a modern machine gun(s) would do. Not to mention that they are getting NAILED at ranges 18 times greater than their own weapons!!

3) Once the first waves were slaughtered, the men would refuse to attack, you drop the officers and you have utter chaos.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6657
Green Berets
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6722|Charlie One Alpha

Bertster7 wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

jimmanycricket wrote:

Hmmm...

But that is a stupid hypothetical schoolboy attitude to physics. Friction and air resistance are of major importance in the real world. IF you ignored friction you wouldn't be able to walk, or drive a car or anything....
Yep. You can't ignore air resistance, it's THE factor to consider in this scenario.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6236|Escea

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Green Berets
Rambo tbh
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6657
the real SF dudes are gods among men.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6236|Escea

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

the real SF dudes are gods among men.
Aye. Strangely Green Berets used to be the main sf guys back in the 80's action movies, now they're seldom heard of. But that's a good thing to a sense, withdrawing from the media. GB's still whup ass though.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6581|Mountains of NC

Force recon is another SF that you don't hear much .... " The Rock " used them as background
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6236|Escea

SEREMAKER wrote:

Force recon is another SF that you don't hear much .... " The Rock " used them as background
True, also I watched that the other night

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard