Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6565|London (At Heart)

I'm currently doing my History coursework of which the semi-final draft is due in on friday.

I am doing it on why America dropped the Atomic bomb on Japan, I know this is a moderately controverisal issue and would actually like to know your knowledge on the subject, as I would like to have other's views (preferably views cited from a Historian ;P), however I think this topic is relatively interesting and could be rather amusing within Bf2s with the good old America Fanatics and Haters.

So, why did America drop the Atomic bomb on Japan?
bennisboy
+829|6684|Poundland
pearl harbour

lol I jus realised I have absolutely zero knowledge on why they did it, thats a first
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|6003|London, England

They said they would never give up, evar
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6678|Your moms bedroom
=DB4D=Slight
+8|6223
there were a couple of main reason, some noble some less so.

1. Casualties. It was thought that the Allies might take as many as 500,000 to a 1,000,000. Allied governments and the public might really liked to have avoided that! See Operation Downfall.
2. Testing. The bomb was so new, they would have really wanted to evaluate it. Trinty test didn't reveal all and they knew they had a lot to learn.
3. The Soviets. US government would have wanted warn the Sovs what they had got. In Europe the allies were getting weaker, as men returned home and forces were drawn down. No one wanted to encourage Stalin to move the Red Army any further West.
4. The Emporer. Nuking Japan gave the Emporer a way out - we were not defeated by normal weapons.

Have fun
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6485|Chicago, IL
bomb casualties: 200-250,000

projected invasion casualties: 300,000 Marines, 1,000,000+ Japanese
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6565|London (At Heart)

S.Lythberg wrote:

It really depends on who was giving the statistics, leahy predicted up to 1million, however the Joint War Committee as low as 45,000.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|6003|London, England

Shem wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

It really depends on who was giving the statistics, leahy predicted up to 1million, however the Joint War Committee as low as 45,000.
I doesn't really matter, bombing was the best option at that time and it can be agreed that America and Japan would have lost too many men if an invasion were to happen
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard