DMFDxUconn
+8|6763|Kannapolis,North Carolina
I was thinking about what it would take to beef my currant machine up to par.

What better place to get some tech-head replies than here.

To be honest, BF2 is the game i play. I want to be able to play it at maximum settings.

Heres a SS of some of my specs, most of em.
For the pic of the RAM, it shows whats in just one slot. Theres another identicle stick in slot 2 and slot 3 is empty.

http://www.clanchatter.com/uploads/...-1136499600.jpg

My video card: Geforce FX 5200 256mb
( i found this on ebay, good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Geforce-7800-GTX-51 … dZViewItem )

My Sound Card: SB Live (Value) i think. Whatever it is, its a cheapo. And very old. Older than this PC. Was in my last one.

My Mouse: Alienware/Microsoft Intellimose Explorer Optical. I actually like it, but i hear alot about better ones.

My Monitor: Gateway 2000 EV900 19". Its an old big bulky thing. I actually had to cut the hole bigger on the back of my desk so the thing would fit. It sticks out the back about 6 inch's and comes all the way to the very front of my desk. If i didnt have a tray underneath for my keyboard, i couldnt use this desk at all. This monitor is older than 2 of my kids. In games if i get flashbanged my monitor will shut off completely. By the time i turn it back on, im dead... lol funny, but not really when it happens in a match. To counter this effect i have to lower my gamma/contrast/brightness/digital vibrance to really low settings, making some things darker than they should be. You get the picture, i need a new monitor, lol.

My Hard Drive, To my knowledge: Seagate Barracuda 80GB. Thats all i know about it. Came with the PC.

I also have a CD burner and a DVD player. I dont really use my PC for watching movies, but would like to be able to copy them

Thanx for the help guys
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6843|Australia
lol well some detail on what you actually got would help! and well how much do you want to spend? by the sounds of it your pretty much like me got crap want 1337 stuff... but im saving up for a new everything!!
5N1P3R
+1|6764
can i suggest just getting a new computer altogether, this would probably give you more power for your dollar. if your a techie then you could even put it together yourself. below is my rig, very powerful and easy to put together yourself

coolermaster wavemaster case    i chose this case coz it keeps everything very cool, has 3 built in fans, removable motherboard tray, no psu, extra ports, looks cool

abit an8 sli motherboard   fantastic motherboard and comes with a uguru panel which monitors temps and voltages. great if u wanna overclock. SLI allows you to add another gpu later on for more power (two gpus are not required currently as this rig is powerful enough) Comes with 7.1ch sound card

XFX 7800gt  it is not necessary to pay the extra for the gtx, this model is very powerful and comes OC in the box it is better value for money based on power per $ compared to the 6800 ultra (next model down)

AMD 3800+  VERY fast. dont get dual core for games as they are not designed to take full advantage of the archatecture. if you wanted you could even go one model down as a powerful CPU is not required for games

550W PSU make sure it is SLI compatible if you get an SLI motherboard

2x200gb SATA drives running in RAID (1x400gb drive)
A third backup drive would be recommended

2gb of GEIL Value Ram  Very cheap and worth getting unless you will be OC

DVD-RW and Floppy drive

This is all you need for a killer rig. total around $2500AU
a new monitor too, i forgot 19" samsung would be good, this is what i wanna get

if you want a new mouse get the logitech g7, it is amazing for games

have fun

Last edited by 5N1P3R (2006-01-05 22:56:35)

DMFDxUconn
+8|6763|Kannapolis,North Carolina
I put together a nice rig at monarch.com for right around $1800.

I want to spend right around $2000. I could go higher, but i am trying not to.

My ultimate goal is to play todays games at thier highest resolutions. Achieving that will pave the path for everything else i need this PC to do.

Compared to the rig above i think it will match up nicely. I still have a little time before i put the order in so im still thinking it all over, trying to chop $$ off every nook and cranny i can, but still get what im shooting for.

Yes im a cheap bastard. Tell my boss to give me a raise.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6724|Australia
i disagree about the non-Dual core, i would get dual core all the way
wayneakagod
+17|6743
Are you sure you have a PCIe slot for that gfx card on ebay? also, how much RAM do you have at the moment? What processor? Click me to find out.

Last edited by wayneakagod (2006-01-06 06:21:24)

5N1P3R
+1|6764

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

i disagree about the non-Dual core, i would get dual core all the way
this is not my opinion this is fact, everyone i talked too including alienware phone reps told me that single core is still better for games as they are not developed to use the 2 core archatecture.
nitro92
I cheat.
+-6|6797|Sydney, Australia
Red text  i need upgrades 2 i only got a 6600 and stuff sux

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard