steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6387|the land of bourbon
it was a rather expensive program to keep up... but i'll never forget when the US showed it to the world for the first time. 

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/11/stealt … index.html

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-03-11 15:59:01)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6451|The Land of Scott Walker
Thanks for the memories, Knighthawk.  Now let's see what your younger brother Raptor can do.
steelie34
pub hero!
i like the paint job on the hawk in the pic
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6544|Long Island, New York
Aww. I loved the F-117! One of my favorite looking planes.

What'll take it's place?
Stingray24
Article said: "The F-117 is being replaced by the F-22 Raptor, which also has stealth technology."
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum

Poseidon wrote:

Aww. I loved the F-117! One of my favorite looking planes.

What'll take it's place?
Raptor
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6544|Long Island, New York

Stingray24 wrote:

Article said: "The F-117 is being replaced by the F-22 Raptor, which also has stealth technology."
Meh. I never really liked the Raptor. Dunno why.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5937|Somewhere out in Space
Raptor=massive Cock substitute made to waste money because paranoid american generals thought they needed to make america OMGSCARY when infact the F15 was already far superior to every other jet fighter in history.  The F35 is basically the same, except it makes other countries kiss ass to have them exported over.
steelie34
pub hero!

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

Raptor=massive Cock substitute made to waste money because paranoid american generals thought they needed to make america OMGSCARY when infact the F15 was already far superior to every other jet fighter in history.  The F35 is basically the same, except it makes other countries kiss ass to have them exported over.
um, no.  the f15 is old.  we don't make anymore.  its falling apart in the sky.  we need new planes.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6652
Why retire a plane thats never been shot down? Or has it? It said 7 have crashed but that doesn't sound like its been shot down.
Stingray24
The F-15 is 7 years older than me and I'm 28 ...
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6723|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Why retire a plane thats never been shot down? Or has it? It said 7 have crashed but that doesn't sound like its been shot down.
I think the crashes were from it's earlier periods.  The plane's airframe isn't all that stable and without relatively modern computer support for the pilot, it's pretty easy to crash.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6652

Stingray24 wrote:

The F-15 is 7 years older than me and I'm 28 ...
Not the newest models.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
The f22 is still a waste. No other country is developing a stealth aircraft any further than blueprints and concepts, and why would you need a new fighter if there hasnt been A2A fighting in over a decade?
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6295|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

The f22 is still a waste. No other country is developing a stealth aircraft any further than blueprints and concepts, and why would you need a new fighter if there hasnt been A2A fighting in over a decade?
gotta flex that military-industrial complex's penis
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...

cowami wrote:

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

gotta flex that military-industrial complex's penis
As i stated earlier...
commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6419|Michigan, USA

First the F-14, now this, what next?!  Better not be the F-18, I've always loved that jet.  Never liked the F-16 really (I guess since 2 engines > 1).  If it has to be anything next, nix the F-16.  And then we'll be having the F-35 coming out soon.  Wonder what's next after that.  Oh wait, maybe in a few years I'll be designing it! (I'm going for a degree in Aerospace engineering).

Anyways, F-117, you've served us well.  RIP
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6330|New Haven, CT

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

One was shot down over Kosovo in 1999 by an SA-2 or SA-3.

As for the Raptor's necessity, it is needed. I wrote a paper on it, which I'll post if you wish.
cospengle
+140|6493|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Wow. That makes me feel old.

Well at least the F-111 is still flying (in Australia anyway).
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6659|pimelteror.de
As for the Raptor's necessity, it is needed. I wrote a paper on it, which I'll post if you wish.
that would be interesting.

Last edited by [pt] KEIOS (2008-03-11 17:47:31)

Reciprocity
+721|6587|the dank(super) side of Oregon
At least they're being mothballed and not permanantly disabled/destroyed. We may need them someday.
mudder
+8|6532
I was at the first official public showing of the aircraft.  Dayton airshow during Gulf1.  Also at that show the Russian unveiled an SUxx "I forgot which one" It had this brand new tech called vector control! Anyway back then it was new to the public.  Damn thing "hovered" for a few seconds after a loop d loop.  My father and I were blown away.
commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6419|Michigan, USA

Reciprocity wrote:

At least they're being mothballed and not permanantly disabled/destroyed. We may need them someday.
Yeah, I'm glad that they're doing this too.  You never know when these babies could come in handy again.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...

nukchebi0 wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Please, tell me why The Air Force feels they need to spend 200 million apeice on what is plain overkill? Why isnt the F15 good enough? It's a plane that is still superior to anything else that has been made and probably will ever be made for the next decade or 2.  What about the mass produced F18 and its super hornet upgrade? It can hold its own against any opposing fighter, the fact it is carrier-borne means it can be deployed anywhere in the world in less than 24 hours.  And lets not forget the pilots are highly trained compared to non-NATO/EU countries, which is enough to render a country's airpower near-unbeatable. Remember korea; The F86 held a 10:1 kill ratio against what was mostly a superior and numerically equal Mig15 because the veteran US pilots faced Korean rookies who only just got out of flight school.

mudder wrote:

I was at the first official public showing of the aircraft.  Dayton airshow during Gulf1.  Also at that show the Russian unveiled an SUxx "I forgot which one" It had this brand new tech called vector control! Anyway back then it was new to the public.  Damn thing "hovered" for a few seconds after a loop d loop.  My father and I were blown away.
It was probably the SU30, the first model that used thrust vectoring if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited by N00bkilla55404 (2008-03-11 21:10:08)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6330|New Haven, CT

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Please, tell me why The Air Force feels they need to spend 200 million apeice on what is plain overkill? Why isnt the F15 good enough? It's a plane that is still superior to anything else that has been made and probably will ever be made for the next decade or 2.  What about the mass produced F18 and its super hornet upgrade? It can hold its own against any opposing fighter, the fact it is carrier-borne means it can be deployed anywhere in the world in less than 24 hours.  And lets not forget the pilots are highly trained compared to non-NATO/EU countries, which is enough to render a country's airpower near-unbeatable. Remember korea; The F86 held a 10:1 kill ratio against what was mostly a superior and numerically equal Mig15 because the veteran US pilots faced Korean rookies who only just got out of flight school.

mudder wrote:

It was probably the SU30, the first model that used thrust vectoring if i'm not mistaken.
I'll post my paper in a bit. To answer your second point, I'm certain it was the Su27, since the Su30 was built off the Su27.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard