lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

Spark wrote:

Because honestly, I don't get it.

I watch these 10-20page threads that crop up week in, week out with fascination. What drives you guys? What is there in this conflict that makes it so unique? Tbh to me it looks like two societies that have been chucked on top of each other who really don't like each other. Whether that was fair or not is moot.

What is the debate about?
Honestly I couldn't care less. My problem is the absurdity and stupidity that Israel started the wars because they shot first, never mind they had a gun pointed to their head. The action that Israel takes is condemned, yet it would not be condemned by any other nation facing Israels problems.
THis is what gets me going.
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|6001|Belgium
It's probably coz it involes religion and religion battles have never been "clean"
It's not Israel's fault either it's Europe(and UK) poisoned gift that started it all...
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6762|Argentina
The creation of Israel is history.  Israel is there and it has a right to exist.  What matters now is achieving a peace deal to stop the killings on both sides and the miserable living conditions of the Palestinians.  That's why we care.  And I personally feel a responsibility since half of my family is Jewish and I don't like what Israel is doing, despite the Palestinian militants being wackos.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6184

sergeriver wrote:

The creation of Israel is history.  Israel is there and it has a right to exist.  What matters now is achieving a peace deal to stop the killings on both sides and the miserable living conditions of the Palestinians.  That's why we care.  And I personally feel a responsibility since half of my family is Jewish and I don't like what Israel is doing, despite the Palestinian militants being wackos.
Serge, I agree with this post totally, but please remember all the posts arguing over who was there first, who shot first, who deserves the land and on and on and on. I have seen how passionate you are and hopefully you have come full circle and understand that what happened 2,000 years ago doesnt really matter that much any more. Its historical but nothing more. People need to focus on the here and now.

If we are going to bicker over Palestinians getting their land back, then there should be a thousands threads dedicated to the American Indians getting their land back. The white European took over a huge piece of land (North America) in almost a blink of an eye. Is it going to change now? No, so we have to move forward.

I feel the reason there are so many threads on this is because a few guys here are very, very passionate about it and you can easily get two sides all riled up about it. When some guys call Israel a terrorist state then you will get a backlash....and when a Palestinian group goes in and kills a bunch of kids and the society celebrates it as a heroic act....that will stir up more emotions. I do feel that the Palestinian/ Israel posts are over kill here because it takes away from some of the other bullshit happening around the world.

Bottom line, no one is going to stop fighting over this land, they have been fighting for thousands of years, building temples and mosques and churches on top of one another. Muslims took control, Crusades took it back and back and forth we go, year after year......How is that going to stop. The only way it will stop is if religions and cultures start acting civilized and act like they preach. Peace and good will. It will only happen if people decide to grow up and look past the color of your skin, your religious belief or your history. They need to understand that they are killing brothers and sisters and in this conflict, that is more true than not.

Last edited by DeathBecomesYu (2008-03-08 03:57:27)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6651
liberals - "palestine rocks"

conservatives - "israel rocks"

Me - I just want to understand why they are killing each other and to have the violence stop.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6648
I really dont.  I have my own concerns.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

Spark wrote:

ATG wrote:

Spark wrote:

Oh k...

I really don't get that but oh well.
Then you never will.
What, why a person feels an intimate connection to a country half a world away just because of shared religion?

That means I should be defending China, Vietnam or the Vatican with my life.
Which is where much of the problem surrounding Israel lies.

Spark wrote:

So... the way I'm reading this.

People feel aggrieved on the Palestinean side because of Israel being created as it was without their consent, and on the Israeli side because of cultural links?

Okay.
Created by a minority in a country they had no legitimate jurisdiction over, without the consent of the majority and against the explicit ruling of the governing body of the state by means of terrorism and systematic economic deprivement financed illegally with corporate funds without any consultation of shareholders of those corporations.

A state that has persistently defied the UN, something other countries have been invaded and had their governments deposed for, and has an abhorrent apartheid system in place and denies those who they drove from their homes their basic rights, enshrined in multiple (I think it's 7) differing bodies of international law.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

I mostly get involved because people have strange views in regard to returning fire in a war.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

M.O.A.B wrote:

I mostly get involved because people have strange views in regard to returning fire in a war.
What war?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6648

Bertster7 wrote:

well, to be fair, you could say the same thing about any kind of support  the palestinians are getting from the nations in the region.  They do it because they are muslims.  I mean, arab states were constant enemies. Persians......lol.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

well, to be fair, you could say the same thing about any kind of support  the palestinians are getting from the nations in the region.  They do it because they are muslims.  I mean, arab states were constant enemies. Persians......lol.
Absolutely. That's the point I'm making. It has only been perpetuated by religion. If it were not a religious conflict there would almost certainly have been peace by now. Each side gets their backing from sources that fund them because of their religion. Each side hates the other because of their religion and because of the that the whole dispute about a tiny little barren patch of land has become hugely symbolic - much like in the Crusades, but Jews vs. Muslims, rather than Chistians vs. Jews vs. Muslims.

Religion has no place in international (or domestic) politics.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6648

Bertster7 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Absolutely. That's the point I'm making. It has only been perpetuated by religion. If it were not a religious conflict there would almost certainly have been peace by now. Each side gets their backing from sources that fund them because of their religion. Each side hates the other because of their religion and because of the that the whole dispute about a tiny little barren patch of land has become hugely symbolic - much like in the Crusades, but Jews vs. Muslims, rather than Chistians vs. Jews vs. Muslims.

Religion has no place in international (or domestic) politics.
good post
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6410|North Carolina

Spark wrote:

ATG wrote:

Spark wrote:

Oh k...

I really don't get that but oh well.
Then you never will.
What, why a person feels an intimate connection to a country half a world away just because of shared religion?

That means I should be defending China, Vietnam or the Vatican with my life.
Even though I generally defend Israel, I would have to agree with you.

I'm not sure if Poseidon or ATG realize that the same logic they are using is also used by Muslims in their defense of Palestine.

Personally, I'm an Atheist, so I guess I have it easier than most people, since I don't really feel a connection to any culture other than maybe America.  I'm more of a "appreciate people as individuals" kind of person.  There are both idiots and cool people among every group, so that's why I don't normally connect with any one group.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

Bertster7 wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

What war?
Well its a conflict isn't it? They're still fighting each other. We were still considered to be at war with N.Korea even though we weren't firing at them.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6473
Because they kill eachother for no good reason.
Turquoise
O Canada

clogar wrote:

because the whole point of their religion is that they are keeping faith that God will give them their land that he promised them, that's when they will consider themselves out of exile
In other words, they let imaginary friends dictate their actions.
jord
+2,382|6683|The North, beyond the wall.

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Because they kill eachother for no good reason.
Welcome on the world. I can't say I care much more about Israel than I do Somalia or somewhere else.

Last edited by jord (2008-03-08 08:01:47)

Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

Created by a minority in a country they had no legitimate jurisdiction over, without the consent of the majority and against the explicit ruling of the governing body of the state by means of terrorism and systematic economic deprivement financed illegally with corporate funds without any consultation of shareholders of those corporations.

A state that has persistently defied the UN, something other countries have been invaded and had their governments deposed for, and has an abhorrent apartheid system in place and denies those who they drove from their homes their basic rights, enshrined in multiple (I think it's 7) differing bodies of international law.
...and a lot of the blame can be laid at Britain's feet for helping to create Israel.  America and France can be blamed for arming Israel.

...and the Palestinians can be blamed for apparently being insane enough to celebrate when an asshole attacks a school.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6625|London, England
Actually, I don't really either. Although I don't really get involved in those Israel/Palestinian topics too.
jord
+2,382|6683|The North, beyond the wall.

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

...and a lot of the blame can be laid at Britain's feet for helping to create Israel.  America and France can be blamed for arming Israel.

...and the Palestinians can be blamed for apparently being insane enough to celebrate when an asshole attacks a school.
You can trace most of today's problems back to whatever time and blame Britain.
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6707
Maybe a want of empathy. I think it's disgusting that my country can take away a whole country and advocate genocide with a couple of pen strokes in 1948.

But then again it becomes entagled in that Israel has been there for a while, it is historically the holy place for many religions.

Also Joe Sacco highlights the problems on both sides:

https://cjrarchives.org/issues/2005/2/sacco-palestine.gif

https://www.stripdagenhaarlem.nl/2004/images/Waar_Sacco4.gif
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

M.O.A.B wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

What war?
Well its a conflict isn't it? They're still fighting each other. We were still considered to be at war with N.Korea even though we weren't firing at them.
That's not what a war is. N. Korea is a different situation entirely they simply have never made peace and neither side has ever surrendered and so it remains a long term ceasefire.
Turquoise
O Canada

jord wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I just wish Russia and the rest of Europe had been able to coexist more peacefully with the Jews, so that no Israel would have needed to be created in the first place.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6625|London, England

jord wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

It's not Britain's or the Commonwealth forces fault that they kicked the collective Arse of the Ottomans in WW1 and then Established British Mandates
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Lol!

Do you honestly believe that?

Are you familiar with how the creation of Israel came about? Where is the blame to be placed with the British (throughout the early days of Israel - the British have a lot to answer for with regards to arming the Israelis with nuclear weapons)?

I assume you're making the typical mistake of not properly knowing about the Balfour declaration, it's origins and the British management of immigration to Palestine? Is that the case?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard