Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6560|San Diego, CA, USA
California Court Rules Parents Must Have Teaching Credentials to Home School Kids

Fox News wrote:

LOS ANGELES  —  California parents without teaching credentials cannot legally home school their children, according to a recent state appellate court ruling.

"Parents do not have a constitutional right to home school their children," Justice H. Walter Croskey wrote in a Feb. 28 opinion for the 2nd District Court of Appeal.

Noncompliance could lead to criminal complaints against the parents, Croskey said.

The immediate impact of the ruling was not clear. Opponents said they will appeal.

An estimated 166,000 students in California are home schooled, but it was unclear how many of them are taught solely by an uncredentialed parent.

To earn a five-year preliminary teaching credential in California, a person must obtain a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and complete multiple examinations.

Until now, California allowed home schooling if parents filed paperwork to establish themselves as small, private schools; hired a credentialed tutor; or enrolled their child in an independent study program run by an established school while teaching the child at home.

The state left enforcement up to local school districts, but there has been little oversight.

The old system "works so well, I don't see any reason to change it," said J. Michael Smith, president of the Virginia-based Home School Legal Defense Association.

The ruling stems from a case involving Phillip and Mary Long, a Los Angeles-area couple whose eight children are enrolled or have been enrolled in Sunland Christian School in suburban Sylmar and occasionally have taken tests there.

The Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services intervened after the couple's eldest child "reported physical and emotional mistreatment" by the father, court papers said. The department conducted an investigation and found that despite the couple's assertion that their children were enrolled at Sunland, they were educated at home by their mother, who does not have a teaching credential.

An attorney appointed to represent two of the Longs' young children asked the court to order that the children physically attend a public or private school. A trial court disagreed, and the lawyer appealed.

Under California law, children are required to enroll in and attend public schools unless they attend a private school, or are tutored by a credentialed teacher. The appeals panel found that the Longs did not adequately demonstrate that the exemptions apply to their children.

Attorneys for the state Department of Education were reviewing the ruling, and home schooling organizations were lining up against it.

Phillip Long vowed to take the case to the state Supreme Court.

"I have sincerely held religious beliefs," he told the Los Angeles Times. "Public schools conflict with that. I have to go with what my conscience requires me."
Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335948,00.html

Now with the $4 billion dollar budget cuts that are already coming down the line in California, is this a way to exacerbate the problem by forcing 166,000 currently homeschooled kids to goto public school to learn how to put a condom on a cucumber?
Reciprocity
+721|6592|the dank(super) side of Oregon
You guys should hire migrant workers to teach your kids.
reaper_654
confused??
+36|6308|ohio,USA

Reciprocity wrote:

You guys should hire migrant workers to teach your kids.
hahaha +1 i really dont know what to say about this but they are starting to take away are freedom
geNius
..!.,
+144|6453|SoCal
Good.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6855|Reykjavík, Iceland.
It's a good thing, I can't possibly see a single positive thing about homeschooling anyway.
imortal
+240|6676|Austin, TX
And yet another "progressive" step for the Peoples Republic of California. 

Not only do you not have a say in what the state chooses to teach your kid, you no longer have the right of teaching your child yourself.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

PBAsydney wrote:

It's a good thing, I can't possibly see a single positive thing about homeschooling anyway.
O rly?

What about in situations where the alternative is attending a drug-infested cesspit of chaos?
David.P
Banned
+649|6285
*Sigh* I thought the Hippies in the 60's and 70's spoke out for home schooling their children with a passion! But i guess now that the schools teach what they want to be taught, They dont have the balls to stand up in principle for what is right, Just what is left.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6855|Reykjavík, Iceland.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

O rly?

What about in situations where the alternative is attending a drug-infested cesspit of chaos?
Don't do drugs?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

PBAsydney wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

O rly?

Don't do drugs?
That doesn't exactly protect you from the crackhead antics of the people who do. I can honestly say that I've learned more in one nondisruptive year of homeschool than in several preceding years of public school.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-03-07 18:20:19)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6754|London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

O rly?

Don't do drugs?
That doesn't exactly protect you from the crackhead antics of the people who do.
Maybe so, but you can't isolate yourself in your own world forever.

Assholes and crackheads are everywhere. You have to face them sometime.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Dauntless wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

Don't do drugs?
That doesn't exactly protect you from the crackhead antics of the people who do.
1) Maybe so, but you can't isolate yourself in your own world forever.

2) Assholes and crackheads are everywhere. You have to face them sometime.
1) The common misconception about homeschoolers is that they are isolated. I got to spend P.E. doing cool stuff like bowling and various stuff at the local Y with other homeschoolers. What do you get at schools? Ratty fields and an ultra-stinky gym. I'll go swim at the YMCA or bowl any day before opting into that. You don't have to sit in an overpopulated classroom to be socialized. In some cases, it's even counterproductive to that objective.

2) Preferably not while you're trying to solve a chemistry problem or remember one date from the next during a test.

If public schools want to draw the exiles back to their political indoctrination centers, they should be doing so with quality instruction incentives, not legislation.

jaymz9350 wrote:

imortal wrote:

Not only do you not have a say in what the state chooses to teach your kid, you no longer have the right of teaching your child yourself.
you can teach your child, you just have to have teaching credentials.
That's like saying you can cook for your children, but you have to have a doctorate in nutrition. If a homeschooled kid can go in and test beyond his grade level, I'd say that homeschool is a pretty nifty option.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-03-07 19:03:23)

jaymz9350
+54|6589

imortal wrote:

you can teach your child, you just have to have teaching credentials.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6453|SoCal
At some point, your child is going to have to face the real world.  The sooner you start that, the more adjusted they'll be.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6701|Tampa Bay Florida

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That's like saying you can cook for your children, but you have to have a doctorate in nutrition.
Uh......... no.

Cooking and feeding your kid and exposing them to the world at large are two very different things.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6537|South Florida

geNius wrote:

Good.
Are you kidding?

Im homeschooled and so are my 3 step sibblings, and you have no clue. It's changed my life for the better in ways you couldn't really imagine, it taught me how to think, not how the school says i should think. I have a very broad knowledge of the world and the most important things about life, not advance calculess.

school can suck a cock the only thing its good for is a social life.

Spearhead wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That's like saying you can cook for your children, but you have to have a doctorate in nutrition.
Uh......... no.

Cooking and feeding your kid and exposing them to the world at large are two very different things.
Skuze me sir, but sending your kid to waste 7 hours a day for his entire childhood in school, being forced to learn what the school thinks is important, is not exposing them to the world. I wake up every morning with the ability to spend my time how i please, and from that freedom i've gained much maturity and a full grasp on what the world is about. I went to school untill the end of 7th grade, when i left, like i said, i learned how to think for myself. Put me up against someone who goes to public school in a general knowledge quiz and i garentee ill pwn them, and i havent done a single worksheet in 3 years.

Last edited by Mitch (2008-03-07 19:23:39)

15 more years! 15 more years!
Lurch_454
+5|6616
Do credentials always mean something? I've had teachers who just don't give a rats ass, and I've had teachers who were great to have around. Personaly, if there is a obvious positive reaction from home schooling, by all means, don't stop doing it. If it works, don't fix it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Spearhead wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uh......... no.

What...public schools are the world at large? Uh......... no.

You ignored one of the aspects of my last post: the claim that all socialization is not exclusive to public schools. And you completely bypass the fact that the ultimate point of public school is not to turn you into a friendly gabber, but to educate you to such an extent that you are eligible for college/work indoctrinate you into the Democratic Party.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-03-07 19:25:43)

jaymz9350
+54|6589

Lurch_454 wrote:

Do credentials always mean something? I've had teachers who just don't give a rats ass, and I've had teachers who were great to have around. Personaly, if there is a obvious positive reaction from home schooling, by all means, don't stop doing it. If it works, don't fix it.
not always but just letting any one try and teach a child is a bad idea IMO.  Do you want public schools to hire any joe off the street to teach?
Smells Like Muff
+6|6120
Homeschool, good or bad, is your choice.  It's shit like this that pisses me off to no degree...

If my child goes to school for one class then decides to take off for the day guess who gets blamed and possible charges levied against them... *I* do.  WTF is that about.  What about the school that lost track of my child?

sorry a little off topic... continue!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6701|Tampa Bay Florida

Mitch wrote:

Skuze me sir, but sending your kid to waste 7 hours a day for his entire childhood in school, being forced to learn what the school thinks is important, is not exposing them to the world. I wake up every morning with the ability to spend my time how i please, and from that freedom i've gained much maturity and a full grasp on what the world is about. I went to school untill the end of 7th grade, when i left, like i said, i learned how to think for myself. Put me up against someone who goes to public school in a general knowledge quiz and i garentee ill pwn them, and i havent done a single worksheet in 3 years.
Well thats why you dont know a clue about public schools.

If you were so fucking smart you could've been in college at age 15.

Also, no offense here, but you seem to not have a clue.  Public schools = waste of time?  Okay....

BTW I go to high school and I admit most of what I'm doing is bullshit.  But it doesn't matter.  Staying home and isolating yourself is not the way to deal with the problem..
Lurch_454
+5|6616

jaymz9350 wrote:

Lurch_454 wrote:

not always but just letting any one try and teach a child is a bad idea IMO.  Do you want public schools to hire any joe off the street to teach?
No, but it's not the schools tring to hire joes, it's the parents tring to teach they'er own children. Sometimes it can't be avoided. While I was in school, a lot of people gave me shite 'bout being the nerd in a hick loving town. Many a time I wanted to be home schooled, but I stuck though, for a while at least.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

jaymz9350 wrote:

Do you want public schools to hire any joe off the street to teach?
When I was in the occasional habit of correcting history teachers, I had a feeling that they did just that. Know what we did in AP English? Spent the first four months going over...nouns. And verbs. And the one in junior high (as opposed to hs) resembled more of a cushion-pocked hippie friendship circle than a proper classroom.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-03-07 19:33:42)

Commie Killer
+192|6398
Least the kids might gain a social life...
-TL-
Srs lurker
+25|6504|Oklahoma City

Commie Killer wrote:

Least the kids might gain a social life...
Out of all the homeschoolers I've know, the only ones who haven't had social lives are the ones who wouldn't have had one even if they were in public schools.

Last edited by -TL- (2008-03-07 20:02:46)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard