PhaxeNor
:D
+119|6418|Norway | Unkown
A first-year Ryerson University student is being accused of cheating after helping to run an online study group on Facebook.

Chris Avenir is accused of academic misconduct because of the site, where 146 classmates swapped tips on homework questions.

The 18-year-old computer engineering student faces an expulsion hearing Tuesday before the engineering faculty appeals committee.

Avenir, who is still attending classes at the Toronto school pending his hearing, can take his case to the university senate if he loses that appeal.

Kim Neale of the student union, who will represent Avenir at the hearing, says the incident has sent shock waves through student ranks.

Neale told the Toronto Star the Facebook site is no different than any study group working together on homework in a library.
CNN
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6424|My room
It's a study group, and last time i checked, study groups were legal.
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6778
Whoa. Doesn't seem so much as cheating but just studying/helping.

And what about the 146 others? No repercussions for them?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Yeah, really is no different to just phoning someone and saying "how do I do this" etc..
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6655
Rules are guidelines, they exist to provide an easy way to deal with a possible situation. They are not laws.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6414|Michigan, USA

I agree with all of you, unless there's something here that the college is seeing that we aren't.  If there isn't, then they REALLY are over-reacting to this.
Slickdawg8
Visit TAW.NET
+58|6780|Long Island

commandochristian wrote:

I agree with all of you, unless there's something here that the college is seeing that we aren't.  If there isn't, then they REALLY are over-reacting to this.
Yeah, I agree with everyone as well... if he gets expelled that is pure BS, and he might be able to get somewhere in a lawsuit if it does happen.
Benzin
+576|6000
If that's the whole truth to the thing, that university is bleedin' crazy. I hope the student gets to stay in school. Though I imagine he's probably looking into changing now.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6696|The Ville
That's bs. What about privacy and shit. Someone had to have told someone he cheated. Always one asshole in the group I guess.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6338|Oregon
This is just a case of the university authorities using their power to assert their disdain for technology that people have these days.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY
If it was simply a study group, then the university is way out of line.  If it was more than that, then the school should be going after the people who cheated.  It would be dumb for someone to cheat in such a public fashion anyway.  Regardless, I have several classes where the professor explicitly states "Do NOT work with others on this homework.  I expect your work to be yours and yours alone." and if people break those rules, they have to deal with it.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6134|Scotland!
Nobody's seen what this 'study group' is like, so most of your statements are pointless.

For all we know this is 146 students archiving and sharing their homework answers for others to use and calling it a study group.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

I'm Jamesey wrote:

Nobody's seen what this 'study group' is like, so most of your statements are pointless.

For all we know this is 146 students archiving and sharing their homework answers for others to use and calling it a study group.
Don't be stupid Jamesey. Those sort of people put their essays online and charge you for the download. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I'm Jamesey wrote:

Don't be stupid Jamesey. Those sort of people put their essays online and charge you for the download. lol
Both of those posts QFT
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6524
gg
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
My university hase VERY specific guidelines about recieving help from others.  If you break them, you get a zero on that assignment...and perhaps disenroled if you do not cite what help you recieved, as it is potentially lying about your work.
Gamematt
Stocking ur medpacks
+135|6664|Groningen, The Netherlands
Why do people come up with bullshit like this? How boring can your life be that you want to press charges on someone who started an online study group o.o

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard