Poll

Should people recieving a welfare check have to pass a urine test?

Yes81%81% - 118
No18%18% - 26
Total: 144
ReTox
+100|6500|State of RETOXification

theknuck wrote:

simple question to a simple answer.  YES.  if yo ass gonna collect free $ off my dime, then you ass better be looking for jobs and trying the best you can.  if your tokin away on the reefer, then that don't mean your trying your hardest do it!  this is what is wrong with america today, we feel that we deserve everything without having to answer to anything.
Again assuming recipients have never paid taxes themselves.  And if protecting your dime means so much then you better check for alcohol as well... can't be sitting around having a beer when your ass needs to be finding work.

As for the problem with America these days... well that's a whole other thread.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ReTox wrote:

lowing wrote:

You have conveniently forgot that I said RANDOM drug testing, which means not everyone all the time, but a certain percentage unannounced. If you get caught you get stung. What is the problem??

You have an absolute right to your privacy, and unfortunately when you expect to use public money to live off of, your right to privacy should be superseded by the tax payers right to know what you are doing with THEIR money. What does piracy laws have to do with welfare recipients getting drug tested as a contingent for benefits?

Be sure you don't fall off the cliff with such a long stretch reaching for an argument.
You keep assuming that a welfare recipient has never paid taxes.  Why should they not be allowed to use programs they may have paid into all their working lives?  And no matter how public your life is or your job or the money you bring in you are still, by law, granted privacy rights.

Or is it your contention that anyone who lives off tax payer money should be held to the same standards?  If so then call the white house and order some tests... pretty sure someone's been into the crack there.

And just for the info:  Substances that cause false positives as of Jan 8th 2008

hint... there's a shitload!
Nope, not assuming that at all

So it must be your position that no company has the right to drug test their applicants or employees because it is an invasion of their privacy? They have no right to be assured that their new employee or current employee is drug free? After all just because you want a job or want to keep one, does not mean you should have to forfeit your privacy to achieve this. Airline passengers do not deserve the knowledge that the mechanic working on the airplane that they have strapped little Johnny in, is drug free That would be an invasion of privacy for the mechanic?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ReTox wrote:

lowing wrote:

Personal responsibility is like kryptonite to a liberal......Why should you exercise it when you can pawn it off on someone else, like the tax payers.
I'm guessing this is directed at me and if so then keep your labels to yourself.  I'm not a liberal or a conservative and personal responsibility and accountability happens to be very important to my own ethics.  What I am is someone who believes every person is different and refuses to define a social class because of the bullshit stereotypes that you seem to need to define them by.
Nope not directed at you at all, I was not even thinking about your posts when I typed this.

But to be clear, I do label people, I do not do so based on their beliefs so much as I do based on thier action. Low/no income, welfare, mooching, tax payer stealing, uneducated, free riding people, vote democrat for the most part..........Do not confuse this with ALL democrats are mooching free loaders however.

Last edited by lowing (2008-03-09 05:01:00)

*=]AD[=*Pro_NL
+77|6630|The Netherlands

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

[Idea came to me from an email]
If I have to pass a piss test to get/keep a job, from which I pay taxes to help such establishments such as Welfare, shouldn't people recieving welfare checks have to pass a piss test to receive them?  Seems fair to me.
Does it take any effort to piss in a cup?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

*=]AD[=*Pro_NL wrote:

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

[Idea came to me from an email]
If I have to pass a piss test to get/keep a job, from which I pay taxes to help such establishments such as Welfare, shouldn't people recieving welfare checks have to pass a piss test to receive them?  Seems fair to me.
Does it take any effort to piss in a cup?
Just as much effort as it would take a welfare recipient.........unless of course that recipient was worried about getting busted.
ReTox

lowing wrote:

So it must be your position that no company has the right to drug test their applicants or employees because it is an invasion of their privacy? They have no right to be assured that their new employee or current employee is drug free? After all just because you want a job or want to keep one, does not mean you should have to forfeit your privacy to achieve this. Airline passengers do not deserve the knowledge that the mechanic working on the airplane that they have strapped little Johnny in, is drug free That would be an invasion of privacy for the mechanic?
I've already posted on this more than once.

A private employer is not the same as a public government assistance program.  It's their money that they made, that they want to pay to you for services rendered.  Not a public program that many recipients have probably paid into themselves over and over again.

Let me be absolutely clear.  I'm against drug tests for welfare because they are not 100% reliable, even double testing is flawed.  The cost is likely more than what would be saved, and without probable cause I consider it a witch hunt that is funded by MY tax dollars when those funds are better spent elsewhere and lastly, that forcing someone to have a drug test for a public, non-military non-employment, program is outside a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I've also stated over and over again that if a social worker suspects drug abuse and can show probable cause then fine have several drug tests over a few months to be sure, but the dragnet of testing everyone or even randomly doesn't sit with my conscience.  Not because I want someone to get away with being stoned but that I don't want someone who never has been stoned (illegally) suffering because of a mistake in the system.

Last edited by ReTox (2008-03-09 09:13:03)

FallenMorgan
+53|5915|Glendale, CA
That's the ultimate solution to drug problems...

They don't get dust money from the government.
They don't get dust money from their relatives.
They try to steal money.
They go to jail.
They come out relatively clean.

Or...

They don't get dust money from the government.
They don't get dust money from their relatives.
They try to steal drugs.
They get killed.

Either is fine with me.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ReTox wrote:

lowing wrote:

I've already posted on this more than once.

A private employer is not the same as a public government assistance program.  It's their money that they made, that they want to pay to you for services rendered.  Not a public program that many recipients have probably paid into themselves over and over again.

Let me be absolutely clear.  I'm against drug tests for welfare because they are not 100% reliable, even double testing is flawed.  The cost is likely more than what would be saved, and without probable cause I consider it a witch hunt that is funded by MY tax dollars when those funds are better spent elsewhere and lastly, that forcing someone to have a drug test for a public, non-military non-employment, program is outside a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I've also stated over and over again that if a social worker suspects drug abuse and can show probable cause then fine have several drug tests over a few months to be sure, but the dragnet of testing everyone or even randomly doesn't sit with my conscience.  Not because I want someone to get away with being stoned but that I don't want someone who never has been stoned (illegally) suffering because of a mistake in the system.
You are not consoistent in your answers, first you said you were against this because it treated people like criminals, then you say you are against this because you think that the false positives are too great, which is bullshit because they always take 2 samples for testing. SO which is it? Then you say you are against this because it is a violation of our personal privacy. Your argument for this last excuse does not hold water because regardless as to who is driving the program it is still a persons privacy being violated.

Also you say companies can do what they want, it is their money, well no they can't, a lot of these drug testing programs are govt. mandated programs.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Along the same lines, should drug users be allowed to starve to death?
I say yes. We need population control.

1/2 sarcasm, but seriously, if you are that stupid, you deserve what you got by doing it.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-03-09 20:40:21)

ReTox

lowing wrote:

You are not consoistent in your answers, first you said you were against this because it treated people like criminals, then you say you are against this because you think that the false positives are too great, which is bullshit because they always take 2 samples for testing. SO which is it? Then you say you are against this because it is a violation of our personal privacy. Your argument for this last excuse does not hold water because regardless as to who is driving the program it is still a persons privacy being violated.

Also you say companies can do what they want, it is their money, well no they can't, a lot of these drug testing programs are govt. mandated programs.
I am consistent, my argument has more than a single point... you just can't seem to accept that it does.

False positive Bullshit eh?  Ahem:

http://www.aclu.org/workplacerights/dru … 71231.html
http://www.ukcia.org/culture/drugtesting1999.pdf (PDF!)
http://www.workrights.org/issue_drugtes … brief.html

I have to say though, when I read the part of your post about the government mandate for employers to force drug tests I damn near fell out of my chair in disbelief.  That the government would or even could compel private employers to do drug tests must have the founding fathers spinning in their graves at that kind of "just bend-over and take it" mentality.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard