Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
As a result of the violence and the corruption surrounding the institution of Islam in Iraq, many younger Iraqis are becoming less religious -- some of whom are turning away completely from Islam.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/world … youth.html

Hopefully this means the next generation of Iraqis will be sensible, modern minded individuals, but I'm not holding my breath....
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
Psychotic, stuck in the past religions like that never last long, especially once they are exposed to the modern world.

Hopefully they will be able to do what their parents could not.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
Iraq has always been a secular country.
Turquoise
O Canada
....compared to Iran and Saudi Arabia, yes....
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
compared to the majority of the middle east, yes.  was more secular than the vatican.
dont they still say prayers in congress?

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-03-04 16:55:29)

Turquoise
O Canada
Fair points...  but I think we can agree that religious fervor is what motivates the fanatics and helps to ensnare the young in Iraq, right?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
some yes, some no.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

LOL, WUT?
David.P
Banned
+649|6275
So does that mean No more Allah Ackbar? Thats great!
ATG
Banned
This is good.
FallenMorgan
+53|5916|Glendale, CA
This is incredibly good.  The same thing is happening in Iran, the younger generation is starting to defy the older generation more and more.  Hopefully oneday secularism will explode in the middle east, and make them like the rest of the world.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

ATG wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

LOL, WUT?
Yeah, Saddam was a secular ruler.  That's one reason OBL (and by extenstion Al-Qaeda) had a problem with him.
ATG
Banned

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

ATG wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

LOL, WUT?
Yeah, Saddam was a secular ruler.  That's one reason OBL (and by extenstion Al-Qaeda) had a problem with him.
So Iraq has always = Saddam?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
before saddam it was pretty secular too
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648
Good. Now let's hope that they don't get killed for their beliefs.
bonedoc69
+36|6413|Eugene, Oregon U.S.A.
I wonder how many people who read this article say to themselves "thank god" and then protest those here in America who wish to keep American politics secular. It seems to me we vote in the "pastor in chief".
Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6523
Unfortunately, the overly-religious still hold the power. And by power, I mean guns. And we know for a fact that they have no issues with turning those guns on "unbelievers."

Hopefully the more sane and less devote come together and form a massive, united movement. Otherwise they're just cannon fodder.
Turquoise
O Canada

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Uh... well, that depends on how you define the rule of the Ottoman Empire.
Turquoise
O Canada

bonedoc69 wrote:

I wonder how many people who read this article say to themselves "thank god" and then protest those here in America who wish to keep American politics secular. It seems to me we vote in the "pastor in chief".
More people need to realize this...  +1
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA

Turquoise wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

What does a piece of furniture have to do with the topic - btw, ottomans are okay but they don't rule - Lay-Z- Boy ftw
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648

Turquoise wrote:

bonedoc69 wrote:

The president is Christian. Doesn't mean the laws are. Well, cept for no gay marriage.

Plus the sky would fall if we voted in a non christian and you know it.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

bonedoc69 wrote:

Sure...because there have been so many evangelicals in the White House over the years. One president (the current one) is open about his religious beliefs, and suddenly "it seems we vote in the 'pastor in chief'". His election had nothing to do with his religion. Nor did Clinton's before him. Or Bush 41's...or Reagan's...or Carter's...or Nixon's...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

bonedoc69 wrote:

The president is Christian. Doesn't mean the laws are. Well, cept for no gay marriage.

Plus the sky would fall if we voted in a non christian and you know it.
I lol'ed.

Anyway, good for the Iraquis, I guess. Usually, secularism is what grows when people aree being exposed to the advantages of free and democratic societies. But it will take some time, possibly generations, to really take effect on their culture.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

Turquoise wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

why dont we go a little bit farther back.  those damn catholics and their inquisition. 

the ottomans pretty much let them rule themselves.  all they did was collect taxes.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-03-05 06:56:29)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

why dont we go a little bit farther back.  those damn catholics and their inquisition. 

the ottomans pretty much let them rule themselves.  all they did was collect taxes.
Iraq was an ally of Germany in WW2 wasn't it? That's probs completely unrelated though lol.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard