B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6834|Cologne, Germany

Beatdown Patrol wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

freedom has its limitations. some don't have the freedom to say no ( for example those who fight in iraq ). do they all agree with the war in iraq ? probably not, but they go there none the less.
Bad example, B.Schuss.  The people who took their oath to protect the country "from enemies both foreign and domestic" might not agree with the war, but that is irrelevant.  They took an oath.  That was their choice to do that with the understanding that there is the chance that they might see combat for a reason that they might not agree with.  Now...if they were DRAFTED, then there might be an argument.
I agree that the soldiers took an oath. but it is obviously up to the government to decide who they should fight against, and for what reasons. That decision is not made by constitution.

The governement decides on the laws of the land ( including regulations on weapons, for example ) and they also decide who to wage war against. Why should any responsible citizen have to right to question decision no. 1, but not decision no. 2 ?

As you have said, the oath says "protect the country "from enemies both foreign and domestic"". Now, who judges on that ? The constitution ? No, the government does.

You elect the officials to make these decisions for you in a democratic election. Either you stick to that principle, or you don't.
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6731

B.Schuss wrote:

I agree that the soldiers took an oath. but it is obviously up to the government to decide who they should fight against, and for what reasons. That decision is not made by constitution.

The governement decides on the laws of the land ( including regulations on weapons, for example ) and they also decide who to wage war against. Why should any responsible citizen have to right to question decision no. 1, but not decision no. 2 ?

As you have said, the oath says "protect the country "from enemies both foreign and domestic"". Now, who judges on that ? The constitution ? No, the government does.

You elect the officials to make these decisions for you in a democratic election. Either you stick to that principle, or you don't.
I must be not understanding your post because I don't see how we are not sticking to the principle.

Responsible citizens DO have a right to question both of those decisions, but questioning a decision and abiding a decision are two different things.  There have been many government decisions that I have questioned, there are many government decisions that I currently question, and I am sure that there are going to be many government decisions that I question in the future.  However, my agreement or disagreement with those decisions is not necessarily an indication that I will or won't abide by them.  If I decide NOT to abide by them because of either rebellion, protest, or whatever...then my logical expectation is that I will face consequences if caught.

Look at it like speeding.  Here in the US, we have speed limits that many feel are very restrictive and are used as nothing more than revenue generation for many police departments.  Now...there are three choices that people have. 

1)  Shut up and abide by the decision handed down by the officials that we put into office
2)  Ignore the law, thereby setting one's self up for tickets, fines, legal reprocusions, etc.
2)  Start one of many processes to change the law to conform to one's own interests

Unfortunately, humans tend to take the path of least resistance, so most people divide into two camps, the conformists and the non-conformists.  Trying to change the law takes time, effort, and money so speeding or not speeding is easier more convienent solution.

- Beatdown
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830
Opening fire on ATF agents who were executing a properly issued search/arrest warrant, killing 4 and wounding 16 is not the appropriate way to deal with the situation.

What were the FED's supposed to do after that  ? Just leave ?

Again, I am not saying the operation went smoothly. Obviously, mistakes were made. The first one was the guy who leaked the information on the upcoming raid to the news, which allowed the davidians to prepare for it.

Putting all the blame on the ATF though, is not right, IMHO....

ok,     The whole point was

David K. was aproachable in town up to the day before the RAID.

The local sheriff could have picked him up at anytime if the ATF asked him to. They didn't. WHY ?

They never served a warrant.

They just exacuted a preDawn raid.

The whole POINT  is Did the Davidians open fire on the ATF 1st. ?

Did they open fire on the ATF at all ?

or did the ATF open fire on themselves.. ?

It was a wooden building and rounds can pass right through it. It was well known that at least 3 ATF men were

Friendly fire casualties.,

No autopsies were preformed on any other ATF man to determen who or what hit them.

The steel front door that would have shown Bullet Scars and in which direction the bullets had passed through...are you ready

Is missing, lol The FBI lost it.

The Cattle Trailers The ATF used for transport to the compound  that would have had Bullet Scars and in which direction the bullets had passed through...are you ready.. you geussed it Missing.

The FBI lost them. You lose you truck a lot Right ? happens all the time. like your car keys.

When it was all over, did the FBI pour over the crime sceene with a fine tooth comb as you might suspect.

No they brought in a bulldozer. Why A bulldozer at a crime sceene? Who ever heard of that.

The Tapes the ATF made of the Raid are You know the answer ... Missing

Further more..

Cults are for losers as are many orginized religions This includes almost every " HAT Religion "
( where you got to wear a hat or God wont like you )

Personaly I even hold my breath when a Hasidic passes me. But When they want to band together and shun the rest of the world. I say cool. I dont want them near me.

( The post is about ) did the raid seem ok, fishy, white washed, bad, Text book.

Did people die for a dog and pony show the ATF wanted to film to justify raising  its operating expences and allowences.

If there Really were all these Guns Why did we not see one not one fuckin weaponafter the Raid ?

If there Really were all these explosives stockpiled  in there why was the FBI walking through the smoking rubble the next morning and bulldozing it.

Is that what you would do if you thought there were Explosives hidden, Run a Bulldozer over them.

We dont need people to reinterpet the Constitution We know what it means.

We can read, the only thing our forefathers probely couldnt imagine was Death Camps, ethnic cleasing etc.
Read The Constitution, The Fedralist Papers Ben Franklins predictions ETC. you will be forced to reallize what they meant.

At the Time it was writen any US Citizen was much better armed than any nations soldiers.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
If there Really were all these explosives stockpiled  in there why was the FBI walking through the smoking rubble the next morning and bulldozing it.

I think I took care of that part with my FYI, post before, common cleaning supplies could be classified as materials to create a bomb.

It might not have been the ATF that were responisable for the mess, but remember it's a human organization and our "law enforcement" is trained to kill not injure.  So put Johnny redneck in a power possition with a gun and a few friends who where killed, and he's going to "legally" kill everyone who is suspected.  Remember convicted of Murder on a civilian you'll probably live your sentance out. Kill a cop and more then likely you're dead in less then 6 months.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I think I took care of that part with my FYI, post before, common cleaning supplies could be classified as materials to create a bomb.

It might not have been the ATF that were responisable for the mess, but remember it's a human organization and our "law enforcement" is trained to kill not injure.  So put Johnny redneck in a power possition with a gun and a few friends who where killed, and he's going to "legally" kill everyone who is suspected.  Remember convicted of Murder on a civilian you'll probably live your sentance out. Kill a cop and more then likely you're dead in less then 6 months.
Horseman

" I think I took care of that part with my FYI, post before, common cleaning supplies could be classified as materials to create a bomb."

Horseman

I don't feel you " took care of it " Even fertilizer in a quantity disproportionate  to their " needs at the compound " would be something to exonerate the Raid.

So they didnt want to or need to collect evidence?
cpt.fass1
+329|6688|NJ
Cause there wasn't any, I know if I were take a pudding that wasn't mine out of the refergerator at work, I'd throw out the remains in undisclosed location to cover my guilt.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Cause there wasn't any, I know if I were take a pudding that wasn't mine out of the refergerator at work, I'd throw out the remains in undisclosed location to cover my guilt.
wow man thats really funny, You changed my whole mood. Thanks dude I owe you one.

" Pudding Thief Strikes at Work " Roflmao. Cool .
cpt.fass1
+329|6688|NJ
No problem, and it got the point across. Most importantly in this topic is what system is set up to protect us as civilians against our police force?

Was anyone in the ATF ever brought to justice or arrested for this situation?
B.Schuss

Horseman 77 wrote:

We dont need people to reinterpet the Constitution We know what it means.
strange. I thought interpreting the constitution and determining wether modern law is in accordance with it is exactly what the Supreme Court does...

Obviously, every american has his/her own interpretation of the constitution. what I am saying is that the only interpretation that "legally" matters is that which the Supreme Court finally gives out.

Acting upon your own interpretation of the constitution is bound to get you in trouble with the law, and just as Beatdown Patrol has said, you will have to face the consequences if you do.

Beatdown Patrol wrote:

Responsible citizens DO have a right to question both of those decisions, but questioning a decision and abiding a decision are two different things.  There have been many government decisions that I have questioned, there are many government decisions that I currently question, and I am sure that there are going to be many government decisions that I question in the future.  However, my agreement or disagreement with those decisions is not necessarily an indication that I will or won't abide by them.  If I decide NOT to abide by them because of either rebellion, protest, or whatever...then my logical expectation is that I will face consequences if caught.

Look at it like speeding.  Here in the US, we have speed limits that many feel are very restrictive and are used as nothing more than revenue generation for many police departments.  Now...there are three choices that people have.

1)  Shut up and abide by the decision handed down by the officials that we put into office
2)  Ignore the law, thereby setting one's self up for tickets, fines, legal reprocusions, etc.
2)  Start one of many processes to change the law to conform to one's own interests

Unfortunately, humans tend to take the path of least resistance, so most people divide into two camps, the conformists and the non-conformists.  Trying to change the law takes time, effort, and money so speeding or not speeding is easier more convienent solution.
I hope you are not comparing speeding to opening fire at Federal Agents. The implications are obviously a lot different.

what I meant to say was that some arguments made here seem to imply that any crime ( even murder ) could be justified by simpy saying "well, sir, I was of the opinion that the law was unconstitutional and so I reserved my right not to abide it and killed the f*****.."

Sticking to the principle means sticking to it whatever the circumstances. If you argue that soldiers follow orders given to them by the elected government because the law requires it ( even if they think that decision is unconstitutional ), you will also have to acknowledge that this principle must be upheld for every law, including those that led to the raid at Waco.

whatever happened after the ATF agents tried to execute search and arrest warrants for the ranch was a tragedy, and maybe the Fed's are to blame for the end result. But if the davidians had abided the law and allowed the search to be conducted, the whole situation could have been avoided in the first place.

No one of us was there to see what really happened and every report obviously gives a slightly different account, and  - more importantly - makes different conclusions.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830
The Constitution gives and Lists certain " God given Rights"  that " shall not be infringed. "

To Interpret them, you need only to read it.

Beatdown Was lost, He kept making References to

" Search warrants and police procedures " the point everyone  acknowledges is that for some reason these Exact  and Worthy procedures were not followed.
B.Schuss

Horseman 77 wrote:

The Constitution gives and Lists certain " God given Rights"  that " shall not be infringed. "

" Search warrants and police procedures " the point everyone  acknowledges is that for some reason these Exact  and Worthy procedures were not followed.
with all due respect, horseman, even you will have to acknowledge that the constitution was created by humans, not conveived by god. So if you don't argue that the constitution was handed down to the founding father by god directly, you will also have to acknowledge that those "god given rights" were simply images of what the founding father believed to be "natural/god given rights".

Has the possibility of them being wrong here and there never occured to you ?

Now, as far as Waco is concerned, I wasn't there when ATF agents tried to execute those search and arrest warrants. My guess would be you weren't either. Accordingly, the question at hand will be what sources each one of us uses to back up his arguments, and how credible those sources are.

I'll see what I can find.

rgds,
B.
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6731

B.Schuss wrote:

I hope you are not comparing speeding to opening fire at Federal Agents. The implications are obviously a lot different.
Not directly, no.  Only comparing the simple act of breaking a law or laws and the options available to one who disagrees.  You could literally take any criminal action across varying degrees and apply the same logic.  The takaway from the statement I made for any citizen feeling that the law is wrong is:

Shut and conform
Ignore and suffer
Lobby and change

B.Schuss wrote:

what I meant to say was that some arguments made here seem to imply that any crime ( even murder ) could be justified by simpy saying "well, sir, I was of the opinion that the law was unconstitutional and so I reserved my right not to abide it and killed the f*****.."
I agree.  I am not one of those who believes that an armed response is the most appropriate or justified action of a citizen to fight the "establishment" when the legal system is much better at enacting change.

B.Schuss wrote:

Sticking to the principle means sticking to it whatever the circumstances. If you argue that soldiers follow orders given to them by the elected government because the law requires it ( even if they think that decision is unconstitutional ), you will also have to acknowledge that this principle must be upheld for every law, including those that led to the raid at Waco.
Whoa...hold on.  Not agreeing with the government about fighting a particular war and a war being unconstitutional are NOT the same.  That is an issue of personal opinion vs. law.  If a soldier is ordered to do what would be deemed an illegal or unconstitutional act, they have the right to refuse that order, however that same principle does not apply if the soldier simply does not agree with the order.  That includes fighting a war that a soldier might not agree with. 

B.Schuss wrote:

whatever happened after the ATF agents tried to execute search and arrest warrants for the ranch was a tragedy, and maybe the Fed's are to blame for the end result. But if the davidians had abided the law and allowed the search to be conducted, the whole situation could have been avoided in the first place.
Agreed.  That has been my point the entire time, but for some reason this issue is being dance around.  People can say all they want that the ATF overstepped their bounds by raiding the house, it all became irrelavant after the Davidians opened fire.  Worse, it makes no sense to be "right" but then be dead too.  ..and the Davidians are most definitely dead.

- Beatdown

Last edited by Beatdown Patrol (2006-01-18 11:28:09)

B.Schuss

Beatdown Patrol wrote:

Whoa...hold on.  Not agreeing with the government about fighting a particular war and a war being unconstitutional are NOT the same.  That is and issue of personal opinion vs. law.  If a soldier is ordered to do what would be deemed an illegal or unconstitutional act, they have the right to refuse that order, however that same principle does not apply if the soldier simply does not with the order.  That includes fighting a war that a soldier might not agree with.
you mean the soldier can question a particular order if it is against the law / human rights, but cannot question the overall decision made by his government to go to war ? Could - in theory - the war itself not be unconstitutional ? Maybe you can provide some insight into what the constitution says about war and under which circumstances it is justified.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6728

B.Schuss wrote:

you mean the soldier can question a particular order if it is against the law / human rights, but cannot question the overall decision made by his government to go to war ?
Exactly. Someone in the armed forces is only allowed to question an order when it's obviously illegal. "Marine, execute this prisoner." <- that would be an example

Saying "Sir, I know I've been ordered to report to Fallujah but I don't agree with this war so I'm not going to go." will earn you some time in Leavenworth. Being a "conscientious objector" doesn't fly and is nothing more than a cowardly cop-out. It's used as a sad excuse by kids that joined the military to get money for school but then realized they don't have the cojones to put their lives on the line.

Could - in theory - the war itself not be unconstitutional ? Maybe you can provide some insight into what the constitution says about war and under which circumstances it is justified.
Technically if this was officially a "War" is would be unconstitutional because only Congress can declare war. But Congress fully approved the invasion with the exact same intelligence given to the administration. Bush did not invade Iraq, the United States government did.

US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8 wrote:

Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.
Despite this, the Supreme Court has ruled a few times that the President, as Commander-in-Chief, has the authority to deploy troops in times of international conflicts, in direct defense of US sovereignty, and in other circumstances for limited periods of time. The War Powers Clause gives the President the authority to deploy troops for three months for certain actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_invas … q#U.S._law
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6731

B.Schuss wrote:

you mean the soldier can question a particular order if it is against the law / human rights, but cannot question the overall decision made by his government to go to war ? Could - in theory - the war itself not be unconstitutional ? Maybe you can provide some insight into what the constitution says about war and under which circumstances it is justified.
I think you and I are having an issue of semantics due to the use of the term "question".  You are using the term "questioning" as in questioning an order as in, "Sir...I am not going to charge that tank with bayonets fixed!" which is interpreted as directly disobeying an order.  I am using the term "questioning" as in questioning the wisdom of an order as in, "Sir...are you sure you want us to charge that tank with bayonets fixed?" which would NOT be interpreted as directly disobeying an order but as a clarification of the order or giving a commander the opportunity to pause and reflect upon that order.

The same with "disagree"  I stated that soldiers are free to disagree with the war, but disagreeing doesn't mean disobey.  Hence the terms, "agree to disagree" and "free to disagree".  I might disagree with what my boss tells me to do, but I have that right.  There won't be any problem until I DISOBEY what my boss tells me to do.

Yes, the war itself can be unconstitutional, but (somebody correct me if I am wrong) only the courts can ultimately decide that because they interpret the laws and the deem the contitutionality of those laws.  At the point where a specific war is deemed uncontitutional by the Supreme Court, I would figure that a soldier would probably be within his constitutional right to not fight in that war.  The situation has never happened before, so I can only theorize as to what the end result would be.

FeloniousMonk has posted the articles in reference to the Constitution and war, so I won't repeat.

- Beatdown

Last edited by Beatdown Patrol (2006-01-18 19:01:11)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830

B.Schuss wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

with all due respect, horseman, even you will have to acknowledge that the constitution was created by humans, not conveived by god. So if you don't argue that the constitution was handed down to the founding father by god directly, you will also have to acknowledge that those "god given rights" were simply images of what the founding father believed to be "natural/god given rights".

Has the possibility of them being wrong here and there never occured to you ?

Now, as far as Waco is concerned, I wasn't there when ATF agents tried to execute those search and arrest warrants. My guess would be you weren't either. Accordingly, the question at hand will be what sources each one of us uses to back up his arguments, and how credible those sources are.

I'll see what I can find.

rgds,
B.
I was qouting it for you also, more to the point, The whole Who opened fire was never cleared up. Becuase ( here we go again ) they brought in bulldozers etc etc
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Can someone explain to me what this is about? I don't get it! WAAA!!!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
B.Schuss

FeloniousMonk wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

you mean the soldier can question a particular order if it is against the law / human rights, but cannot question the overall decision made by his government to go to war ?
Exactly. Someone in the armed forces is only allowed to question an order when it's obviously illegal. "Marine, execute this prisoner." <- that would be an example

Saying "Sir, I know I've been ordered to report to Fallujah but I don't agree with this war so I'm not going to go." will earn you some time in Leavenworth. Being a "conscientious objector" doesn't fly and is nothing more than a cowardly cop-out. It's used as a sad excuse by kids that joined the military to get money for school but then realized they don't have the cojones to put their lives on the line.

Could - in theory - the war itself not be unconstitutional ? Maybe you can provide some insight into what the constitution says about war and under which circumstances it is justified.
Technically if this was officially a "War" is would be unconstitutional because only Congress can declare war. But Congress fully approved the invasion with the exact same intelligence given to the administration. Bush did not invade Iraq, the United States government did.

US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8 wrote:

Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.
Despite this, the Supreme Court has ruled a few times that the President, as Commander-in-Chief, has the authority to deploy troops in times of international conflicts, in direct defense of US sovereignty, and in other circumstances for limited periods of time. The War Powers Clause gives the President the authority to deploy troops for three months for certain actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_invas … q#U.S._law
Well, as far as I know ( and please correct me if I am wrong ), the Congress has never formally declared war on Iraq, although it was a sovereign nation at the time the US troops invaded - I am sorry, liberated - that country.
And why should they have done that, since Iraq did not pose a direct threat to the USA ?

EDIT: Wikipwedia states: "On October 11, 2002, the United States Congress passed the "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002", giving U.S. President George W. Bush the authority to attack Iraq if Saddam Hussein did not give up his Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs)."

I don't know wether that would qualify as a declaration of war.
B.Schuss

Spark wrote:

Can someone explain to me what this is about? I don't get it! WAAA!!!
we were initially discussing the Waco raid and wether the Fed's violated various US laws ( including the constitution ) during the raid. But as usual, the discussion has led us in many different directions since then, including references and mix-ups with other threads. I suggest you read the whole thing if you want to be up to date..
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6731

B.Schuss wrote:

Well, as far as I know ( and please correct me if I am wrong ), the Congress has never formally declared war on Iraq, although it was a sovereign nation at the time the US troops invaded - I am sorry, liberated - that country.
And why should they have done that, since Iraq did not pose a direct threat to the USA ?

EDIT: Wikipwedia states: "On October 11, 2002, the United States Congress passed the "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002", giving U.S. President George W. Bush the authority to attack Iraq if Saddam Hussein did not give up his Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs)."

Actually...it does NOT qualify as a formal declaration, however, it is still considered "lawful" for reasons that I feel are very thin.

This interesting article should explain it.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20030319.html

- Beatdown
B.Schuss

interesting article. I especially loved these bits here:

"Nonetheless, one impact of a war of dubious lawfulness may be the continued erosion of respect for the United States as a nation committed to principles of justice under law. President Bush says that he is justified in using military might because his cause is just. To much of the rest of the world, however, it looks the other way around: that the U.S. and its allies act as they wish because, in the American view, might makes right."

"Questions of justice arise only among equals, the Athenians said, while the strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must."
FeloniousMonk
+0|6728

B.Schuss wrote:

Congress did not formally declare war but it did give the administration full authority to institute what's considered a "police action". That implies that while Iraq was not directly threatening the United States it was still considered a threat that would undoubtedly get worse if allowed to remain.

A "war" these days is nothing more than a legal term which alters the procedures, regulations, and rules of engagement during an armed conflict.

Now while I'm not one to say that the invasion/liberation (because it is most certainly both) was the right thing to do or that it's being handled well but not a single one of you can deny that the general population of Iraq now has the ability to choose its' own leaders and decide the course of their nation. If they decide to go back to a dictatorship in the next ten years it will be their own damn fault but as it stands they have the option of living in a society that does not kill its' people for mere dissent.
B.Schuss

FeloniousMonk wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Congress did not formally declare war but it did give the administration full authority to institute what's considered a "police action". That implies that while Iraq was not directly threatening the United States it was still considered a threat that would undoubtedly get worse if allowed to remain.

A "war" these days is nothing more than a legal term which alters the procedures, regulations, and rules of engagement during an armed conflict.

Now while I'm not one to say that the invasion/liberation (because it is most certainly both) was the right thing to do or that it's being handled well but not a single one of you can deny that the general population of Iraq now has the ability to choose its' own leaders and decide the course of their nation. If they decide to go back to a dictatorship in the next ten years it will be their own damn fault but as it stands they have the option of living in a society that does not kill its' people for mere dissent.
strangely enough, the seem intent to keep killing each other with bombs and suicide attacks. This is obviously an attempt to destabilize the political landscape. My guess would be that this country won't be able to successfully govern itself peacefully for at least another ten to fifteen years.
Why ?
Because the iraqis don't have a huge democratic tradition. They have lived in a society which was dominated by tribes and local religious or military clan leaders. It will take maybe generations until a certain sense of democracy and freedom has developed within the iraqi people.
I don't want to quote xanthpi here , but can you name one muslim country with a stable democratic government ? maybe islam and Democracy just don't go together.
The US is obviously trying to establish a western-style democracy in iraq, at the heart of the middle east.
And as much as I admire that effort, I don't think the people there are ready for it just yet.

One cannot force democracy or freedom upon people. A wish for those things needs to develop from within them, just like it did in the major western nations including the USA. Germany, France, Britain once were ruled by tribes ( later monarchies ) and it took a couple of hundred years for those countries to get to the point
in their political development at which they are now.

Why does anyone think the US can simply send a couple of thousand marines there, remove Saddam and then tell everybody "here you go, you are a democracy now, remember to be nice to each other and forget about the hundreds of years of tribal rule and ethnic unrest." ?
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6731

B.Schuss wrote:

FeloniousMonk wrote:

strangely enough, the seem intent to keep killing each other with bombs and suicide attacks. This is obviously an attempt to destabilize the political landscape. My guess would be that this country won't be able to successfully govern itself peacefully for at least another ten to fifteen years.
Why ?
Because the iraqis don't have a huge democratic tradition. They have lived in a society which was dominated by tribes and local religious or military clan leaders. It will take maybe generations until a certain sense of democracy and freedom has developed within the iraqi people.
I don't want to quote xanthpi here , but can you name one muslim country with a stable democratic government ? maybe islam and Democracy just don't go together.
The US is obviously trying to establish a western-style democracy in iraq, at the heart of the middle east.
And as much as I admire that effort, I don't think the people there are ready for it just yet.

One cannot force democracy or freedom upon people. A wish for those things needs to develop from within them, just like it did in the major western nations including the USA. Germany, France, Britain once were ruled by tribes ( later monarchies ) and it took a couple of hundred years for those countries to get to the point

Why does anyone think the US can simply send a couple of thousand marines there, remove Saddam and then tell everybody "here you go, you are a democracy now, remember to be nice to each other and forget about the hundreds of years of tribal rule and ethnic unrest." ?
I know that this might open up a can of worms here, but personally...I could care LESS what those people do or what they do to their people in THEIR country.  It isn't the responsibility of America to spread freedom and democracy throughout the world.  If somebody is crapping all over their citizens, then the UN needs to take action, not the United States and some half-assed coalition of third world countries like Azerbaijan and Mongolia.  Yeayeaaaaaa...Saddam was a bad man and all that, but there are a LOT of bad men in the world doing bad things to people every day.  That doesn't make it OUR problem nor our RESPONSIBILITY.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the so called "moral intent" of Bush's policies on going into Iraq...I simply disagree with it.  We did NOT initially go into Iraq with the intent on giving freedom and blahblahblah.  The American people were sold on the phantom notion that there were WMDs in Iraq and that they were a direct threat to us.  When it became embarassingly clear that there were no WMDs in Iraq, the Bush administration changed their tune and started preaching about freedom and democracy.  Bullshit.  If at the very beginning, the justification sales pitch for invading Iraq had been about giving the people of Iraq some freedom and democracy, there is NO WAY IN INFERNAL HELL that "Busch" would have gotten a fraction of the public or congressional support to do it.

It has been apparent for the past 2 years that the administration has NO OCCUPATION/LIBERATION PLAN for Iraq.  The amazing irony is that instead of Americans dying from WMDs, they are dying from the millions of tons of conventional ordinance that was not secured after hostilities with the Iraqi Main Army ceased.  That same ordinance is being used in the roadside bombs and IEDs for blowing American troops into the afterlife.

And ANOTHER thing....

wait....

sigh...sorry.  I was ranting. 

Uhm...oh yeah.  Democracy.  I agree that you are right in that you can not force a way of life on people just because you think your way of life is the right one.  Is it any wonder why there is so much resistance over there?  It whole thing is eerily similar to the Crusades and the Conquistadors.  What is the difference between a religious right government invading under the pretense of freedom and democracy and a bunch of knights invading under the pretense of the Christian God's supposed will?

- Beatdown
FeloniousMonk
+0|6728

B.Schuss wrote:

Why ?

No one thinks that. Or at least no one that's actually involved in the decision making. The administration realizes perfectly well that this is going to be a very long and ardous process. That's part of my concern; as long as Iraq remains unstable we'll always be in the "War on Terror" and thus it will get easier and easier for the government to convince the American people to give up their freedoms. The Justice Department is demanding that Google turn over search records, the NSA is spying on American citizens, the governor of my state is again trying to shove a state wide firearms ban down our throats, and censorship continues to run disgustingly rampant in our media.

Some people will believe anything when they're told "we're at war". Bullshit, this country isn't at war. Our military is at war and not a damn person that doesn't have friends of family in the military is being directly affected by it. We're not under rations, we're not paying war taxes, we're not being drafted. But we are freely giving up our civil liberties which is even worse. We'll be at "war" for a very long time not only because it's going to take a long time to stabalize Iraq, if it's even possible, but the war on terror can be used against American citizens the same way that the war on drugs has been for decades.

As far as Iraq goes, it's going to be hard but at least those people now have a chance. Under Saddam they'd be killed for even suggesting they be allowed to vote for a leader.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard