CameronPoe
+2,925|6573

FEOS wrote:

Actually, from an air perspective, we have plenty of capacity to bomb Venezuela back into the stone age. And the Pentagon wouldn't be any busier then than it is now...

The way the US military is set up (geographically) ensures we are able to focus at multiple areas simultaneously.

The big drain would be if we sent in ground troops...that is what we don't have in excess right now.
Why would you want to bomb Venezuela back into the stone age?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6667

CameronPoe wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Actually, from an air perspective, we have plenty of capacity to bomb Venezuela back into the stone age. And the Pentagon wouldn't be any busier then than it is now...

The way the US military is set up (geographically) ensures we are able to focus at multiple areas simultaneously.

The big drain would be if we sent in ground troops...that is what we don't have in excess right now.
Because everyone knows that war is cool.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6429|'Murka

CameronPoe wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It was a figure of speech regarding the capacity we still have available, not an expression of intent.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6775|Argentina
So many questions here.
Who is backing Chavez?  Russia?  If so, can we say Putin is Hugo Boss?
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6859|Cologne, Germany

why would anyone have to "back" venezuela in the first place ? From what I can tell, a country that rich of petrodollars doesn't really need backup.

The problem is that such illegal cross-border activities provide easy PR fodder for Chavez and his leftist buddies. FARC is a different issue, because they are a NGO. But to conduct military operations in another country without that country's explicit permission is, well, unfriendly.
Poor colombians. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Let's hope that cooler heads prevail
PureFodder
+225|6303

FEOS wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23435878

So if Colombia takes action against the FARC, it could mean war with Venezuela.

But the man is completely stable.
Let's not kid ourselves about Colombia here.

It's worth remembering that the main killers/human rights abusers over the last decade are the paramillitaries, which were hugely supported by the military. The `stable` US/UK leadership has been sending billions of dollars worth of millitary aid to the number one murderers and human rights abusers in the hemisphere.

The moral highground is not something we possess here.

Last edited by PureFodder (2008-03-03 09:19:04)

lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6613|Toronto-Canada
I'm from Ecuador and from what i've seen and heard is that President of Colombia Alvaro Uribe accused Our president (Rafael Correa) of having "business" with las FARC, also Ecuadorean president withdrew his ambassador from Colombia and kicked Colombian ambassador from Ecuador.

the massacre happened on Ecuadorean territories, 20 rebels were killed and the second leader of las FARC was killed too(Raul Reyes).
now Rafael Correa has sent troops to the border with Colombia for "safety reasons".
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

FEOS wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

I don't really see how an air campaign would bleed the US dry.

Would we really be stupid enough to intervene with anything more than (large quantities of) airstrikes?
It was the combination of minor threats that did the Romans in (Trade deficits are an eerie similarity also). An air campaign involves much more than just flying planes and dropping bombs. It would drain our strategical resources at the Pentagon/Command Centers as well. This is not to say that we couldn't do it. But it lowers our abilty to address a direct attack by spreading us thin. We are pretty much fighting an asymmetrical war with the Chinese. The Chinese know you don't go after the big dog directly, you poison his food.

Why would we need to do this? If Chavez is dumb enough to invade Colombia then maybe. But otherwise let them take care of their problems.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Uh Oh.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/ap_ … LSw3xvaA8F
Colombia’s police chief, Gen. Oscar Naranjo, said documents recovered from a slain rebel leader’s computer indicate Chavez recently sent $300 million to Colombian guerrillas. He said another document indicates the rebels sent money to Chavez when he was a jailed coup leader more than a decade ago.

Naranjo said the files were recovered from a laptop owned by the rebel known as Raul Reyes, who was killed Saturday in a Colombian commando raid on a camp just across the border in Ecuador.

“A note recovered from Raul Reyes speaks of how grateful Chavez was for the 100 million pesos (about $150,000 at the time) that the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, delivered to Chavez when he was in prison,” Naranjo told a news conference in Bogota.
The plot thickens. Apparently Chavez's support for FARC might go beyond just turning a blind eye.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6241|Escea

Kmarion wrote:

Uh Oh.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/ap_ … LSw3xvaA8F
Colombia’s police chief, Gen. Oscar Naranjo, said documents recovered from a slain rebel leader’s computer indicate Chavez recently sent $300 million to Colombian guerrillas. He said another document indicates the rebels sent money to Chavez when he was a jailed coup leader more than a decade ago.

Naranjo said the files were recovered from a laptop owned by the rebel known as Raul Reyes, who was killed Saturday in a Colombian commando raid on a camp just across the border in Ecuador.

“A note recovered from Raul Reyes speaks of how grateful Chavez was for the 100 million pesos (about $150,000 at the time) that the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, delivered to Chavez when he was in prison,” Naranjo told a news conference in Bogota.
The plot thickens. Apparently Chavez's support for FARC might go beyond just turning a blind eye.
Coup time maybe.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6573
I'm beginning to realise now what all the fuss is about. I'd like to see how the US, Russia, China, or any other nation for that matter would respond to another nation taking military action within their sovereign territory without permission! (referring to Ecuador, not Venezuela).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-03-03 15:07:31)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6859|Cologne, Germany

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm beginning to realise now what all the fuss is about. I'd like to see how the US, Russia, China, or any other nation for that matter would respond to another nation taking military action within their sovereign territory without permission! (referring to Ecuador, not Venezuela).
seconded. No nation would let this go unanswered.

And if there was evidence found that Chavez supported FARC financially, this whole mess is only going to get... well... messier.
FEOS
+1,182|6429|'Murka

Who's to say it wasn't simply a mistake? Maybe Colombia didn't realize they were on the Ecuadorian side of the border? It's possible, since (from what I've seen) it was barely inside Ecuador...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6429|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23435878

So if Colombia takes action against the FARC, it could mean war with Venezuela.

But the man is completely stable.
Let's not kid ourselves about Colombia here.

It's worth remembering that the main killers/human rights abusers over the last decade are the paramillitaries, which were hugely supported by the military. The `stable` US/UK leadership has been sending billions of dollars worth of millitary aid to the number one murderers and human rights abusers in the hemisphere.

The moral highground is not something we possess here.
What paramilitary forces would those be? The FARC have committed far worse than anything the counter-cartel vigilante groups did.
― Albert Einstein

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6639|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Who's to say it wasn't simply a mistake? Maybe Colombia didn't realize they were on the Ecuadorian side of the border? It's possible, since (from what I've seen) it was barely inside Ecuador...
Everyone knows that the other side of the border the vegetation is a different shade of green, gosh, haven't you watched the Simpsons

But seriously, they probably had some sort of GPS or at least a map, they probably knew they weren't in their country.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX
Why not just leave South America to the South Americans?

Sorry they have oil and the US used all yours up BTW
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13rin
+977|6497

CameronPoe wrote:

Why can't South American leftist movements be sensible for a fucking change?
oxymoron
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6662

B.Schuss wrote:

why would anyone have to "back" venezuela in the first place ? From what I can tell, a country that rich of petrodollars doesn't really need backup.

The problem is that such illegal cross-border activities provide easy PR fodder for Chavez and his leftist buddies. FARC is a different issue, because they are a NGO. But to conduct military operations in another country without that country's explicit permission is, well, unfriendly.
Poor colombians. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Let's hope that cooler heads prevail
venezueala aint doing that good.  ever since the sanctions the US has imposed on them, they have been forced to change up a lot of their military.   now they receive russian arms and munitions.
FEOS
+1,182|6429|'Murka

Mek-Izzle wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Everyone knows that the other side of the border the vegetation is a different shade of green, gosh, haven't you watched the Simpsons

But seriously, they probably had some sort of GPS or at least a map, they probably knew they weren't in their country.
Been there, seen how the Colombian army is equipped. GPS is not standard issue, nor is effective map reading standard training.

If it was right across the border...who knows. Could have been chasing the bastard and he ran to Ecuador for safe haven. We simply don't have the facts behind the strike at this point.
― Albert Einstein

fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6508|Menlo Park, CA

sergeriver wrote:

ATG wrote:

Chavez needs to be taken out.
Commie Killer
+192|6405

FEOS wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Been there, seen how the Colombian army is equipped. GPS is not standard issue, nor is effective map reading standard training.

If it was right across the border...who knows. Could have been chasing the bastard and he ran to Ecuador for safe haven. We simply don't have the facts behind the strike at this point.
Who cares about the facts, like was stated in another thread, the "condemn US before facts are present" button is stuck on.
FEOS
+1,182|6429|'Murka

Commie Killer wrote:

Who cares about the facts, like was stated in another thread, the "condemn US before facts are present" button is stuck on.
The guy who said that is a freakin' genius!
― Albert Einstein

Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd
+169|6764|Mexico City
Chavez is full of hot air. He will do nothing. He knows USA backups Colombia inconditional, He won´t risk trade with the USA. Brasil or Argentina will talk him out.
He´s just making a show to distract his people of their real problems.

I bet Ecuador and Colombia will relay on diplomacy to fix their problems. South america doesnt need a war.

btw,
from what i just heard, Colombia said they responded fire from their side, the FARC jumped to Ecuador to escape but they continued shooting....

All will be fixed in a football (soccer for you, gringos) match and a few beers.....Colombian girls are hot...

Last edited by Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd (2008-03-04 14:47:37)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6241|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why not just leave South America to the South Americans?

Sorry they have oil and the US used all yours up BTW
Why not leave talking to just about your own country? Oh wait,

see pattern?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX
Why not leave talking to just about your own country? Oh wait,

see pattern?
Yes I think I see the pattern.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard