Brasso
+1,549|6639

My 2nd IDE drive is not being detected in Windows.  Just got a refurbished replacement for my RMA'ed boot drive back in.  It's detected in the BIOS, and set to Slave.  Everything is on Auto-Detect.

I have a A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
geNius
..!.,
+144|6451|SoCal
Is it on the same cable as a Master drive?
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Brasso
+1,549|6639

geNius wrote:

Is it on the same cable as a Master drive?
Yep.  Same config as before, worked before (I sent the boot drive in).

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-02-27 16:57:18)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6754

Right click my computer on your desktop. Go to manage. Click Disk management in the list on the left. Your drive will be there and it is 99% likely that it is not yet formatted. Right click the drive and format it. Windows will then assign it a drive letter once it is formatted which is why you never saw it in my computer in the first place.

I suggest this based solely on the fact that you say you can see it in the bios but not windows. Good luck.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

Right click my computer on your desktop. Go to manage. Click Disk management in the list on the left. Your drive will be there and it is 99% likely that it is not yet formatted. Right click the drive and format it. Windows will then assign it a drive letter once it is formatted which is why you never saw it in my computer in the first place.

I suggest this based solely on the fact that you say you can see it in the bios but not windows. Good luck.
Yeah it's formatted.  It used to be my torrent/media/DVD storage drive before I sent in the boot/program one for repair.

edit: the highlighted one is the one not being detected.

https://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7411/hdqd9.jpg

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-02-27 17:07:14)

geNius
..!.,
+144|6451|SoCal
Is it partitioned still?

Start/Run diskmgmt.msc
Brasso
+1,549|6639

geNius wrote:

Is it partitioned still?

Start/Run diskmgmt.msc
dunno, doesnt show up under disk management.  that unallocated space you see is the other half of my boot drive (which for some reason was split!), and the D: drive is my iTunes backup DVD.

https://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5563/hdlu8.jpg
geNius
..!.,
+144|6451|SoCal
Disk 1 is a different physical drive.  I'm guessing that's the one you are looking for.

Generally, a split partition will show up as unallocated space on Disk 0.

Create a primary partition on Disk 1, unless you're sure it's formatted and working.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

geNius wrote:

Disk 1 is a different physical drive.  I'm guessing that's the one you are looking for.

Generally, a split partition will show up as unallocated space on Disk 0.

Create a primary partition on Disk 1, unless you're sure it's formatted and working.
Oh boy.  All my shit is on there.

And why does no unallocated space show up for Disk 0?

edit: I really would take a look at Partition Manager Magic, but IT'S ON MY OTHER HARD DRIVE! FUCK

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-02-27 17:22:45)

B1GBUD
+17|6605|Under an Artillery Shell
did you delete the partition on disk 0 when you re-installed XP?
Brasso
+1,549|6639

B1GBUD wrote:

did you delete the partition on disk 0 when you re-installed XP?
It was all unallocated space, I just NTFS formatted it (quick).  Disk 0 was completely clean anyway.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6447|King Of The Islands

haffeysucks wrote:

that unallocated space you see is the other half of my boot drive (which for some reason was split!)
So Windows (BIOS?) sees one drive as two? The way you described it, the unallocated space should be at the end of Disk 0, being the same physical drive 'n all.

128GB is and odd size though, what'd that make it, a 136GB drive?

Edit: a lot happens in 8 minutes here

Last edited by Cheez (2008-02-27 17:19:03)

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
B1GBUD
+17|6605|Under an Artillery Shell
I'm not sure, it's late and my brain is hurting! good luck!!
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Cheez wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

that unallocated space you see is the other half of my boot drive (which for some reason was split!)
So Windows (BIOS?) sees one drive as two? The way you described it, the unallocated space should be at the end of Disk 0, being the same physical drive 'n all.

128GB is and odd size though, what'd that make it, a 136GB drive?

Edit: a lot happens in 8 minutes here
I really thought it was my boot drive split in half, but it just doesn't add up (Christ, a pun).  Both drives are 250 GB, which means they are really 238 GB or some number like that.

You're right, the extra space should be at the end of Disk 0, and Disc 1 SHOULDN'T BE UNALLOCATED!  God damn it
geNius
..!.,
+144|6451|SoCal
Partition Magic?
Brasso
+1,549|6639

geNius wrote:

Partition Magic?
That's what I meant, sorry

edit: I'm installing SP2 right now.  Do you think it'll make any difference? (some obscure multiple-IDE drive drivers or something)

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-02-27 17:24:30)

Cheez

Wait, I think your 128GB problem is because of a 'compatibility' jumper on the HDD, IIRC.

Taking them off should show you the extra unallocated space.

Erm, backup.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Wow, great.
https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7967/hdgk1.jpg

Now the extra unallocated space appears in Disk Management, but still no data (apparently) on the 2nd drive, nor is it formatted.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6451|SoCal

haffeysucks wrote:

geNius wrote:

Partition Magic?
That's what I meant, sorry

edit: I'm installing SP2 right now.  Do you think it'll make any difference? (some obscure multiple-IDE drive drivers or something)
It does enable your drives to be formatted about 137gb.

Check PM for Partition Magic
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Got Partition Magic, thanks.  But check out my above post.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6451|SoCal
One more tool to try in your inbox.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Downloading now...

Under PM, it shows up as unpartitioned.  How the fuck could it just magically unpartition itself and lose all data?  I haven't touched it for 3 weeks, and then it was perfectly fine.  This is ridiculous.

If I partition it now, will I lose all data that MIGHT be there?  I'm pretty sure I will, right?
geNius
..!.,
+144|6451|SoCal

haffeysucks wrote:

Downloading now...

Under PM, it shows up as unpartitioned.  How the fuck could it just magically unpartition itself and lose all data?  I haven't touched it for 3 weeks, and then it was perfectly fine.  This is ridiculous.

If I partition it now, will I lose all data that MIGHT be there?  I'm pretty sure I will, right?
Yes.  See if you can make any headway with the second program (as far as recovering the partition).
Cheez

haffeysucks wrote:

Downloading now...

Quick Format recreates the MFT but theoretically no data is overwritten. I still wouldn't recommend it until you attempt a recovery.

I'd recommend R-Studio or something as it can recover data regardless of if the drive's formatted or not. 'member though success is very low.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

geNius wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Downloading now...

Yes.  See if you can make any headway with the second program (as far as recovering the partition).
Hopefully I can, but it will have to wait.  I'm restoring my iTunes backups now.

Anyway, thanks for all the help so far.  I owe you big time.

Cheez wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Downloading now...

Quick Format recreates the MFT but theoretically no data is overwritten. I still wouldn't recommend it until you attempt a recovery.

I'd recommend R-Studio or something as it can recover data regardless of if the drive's formatted or not. 'member though success is very low.
And I can *obtain* that R-Studio, right?  Or is it just free inherently?

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-02-27 18:24:20)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard