gene_pool
Banned
+519|6624|Gold coast, Aus.

Kmarion wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

I was discussing thsi with CanadianLoser. It's just like Gilligan's Island... on that show there was a scientist who could make radios out of coconuts (or something) but god forbid that a man of science can fix a boat.

If you were the professor stuck on an island with Ginger and Mary Anne would you be trying to leave? He was tapping it tbh.
http://i29.tinypic.com/2rf61pl.jpg
fapping at light speed to this
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6528|South Florida

David.P wrote:

gene_pool wrote:

Because Lost is shit and they want to drag it out for 10 seasons.
As bad as DBZ. Where it takes 5 episodes to change a light bulb.
Lmao yeah, it sucked when the most epic of battles would last for so damn long. And i hated when it was only every day, and sometimes only once a week at one point i think.

I wish they kept making GT though, GT was leet.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Zilla
Killa of threads
+122|6644|7th level of hell

Because it's not in the script...
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6368|California
because they to pro duh
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6540|Long Island, New York

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

because they to pro duh
...what
Wallpaper
+303|5996|The pool
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6753|the middle of nowhere

Poseidon wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

because they to pro duh
...what
they are too pro duh
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6408|NSW, Australia

why dont they build another boat?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6692|Tampa Bay Florida
*sigh* ok

They tried building a boat two times already, and on more than one other occasion people have tried to leave the island.

Building a boat that's worthy of traveling hundreds or thousands of miles is not an easy thing to do.  The boat the survivors made was contructed by Michael.  His son burned the first one he was making... his son likes the island, and with John Locke as his mentor, never wants to leave.  He's a young version of Locke, and has special connections to the island that will be addressed in the future.

So, Walt admits to his father that he burned the raft.  Michael says its ok, and that they can stay on the island.  But Walts specialness kicks in.  Locke is about to open the hatch to the Swan Dharma station, which is the most important of a series of stations built by the Dharam Initiative, a secretive organization of international scientists who are meant to study the island. 

And this particular hatch is later destroyed, and therefore is visible to the outside world, at least for a brief period of time.  Now its season 4 and we know that a mysterious group of people, maybe Dharma, have been looking for the island to invade it.  Dharma was at war with the islands natives during its time on the island, and in the late 80's all Dharma Intiative members were killed in an event known as the purge, where Ben Linus (now the leader of the others) betrayed the DI and helped the natives sneak into the DI compound, known as the Barracks, where Locke and his people are currently living.  The natives somehow had chemical agents and gas masks, and killed all the DI peeps.  Cept for the Swan people, which very few DI people knew about and only had two people stationed in it.

Okay, so Walt knows bad shits gonna happen and he wants to leave the island.  He's special, like Locke, although Locke often causes more harm than good.  So Michael and Walt build a second raft, and they leave the island with two other characters just before Locke and the rest of them open the hatch going to the Swan.

The raft sails out to sea, but it's ambushed by the Others.  At first Michael and the other rafters think they were rescued, but the boat the Others came in was too small to be out in the middle of the pacific -- it came from a port somewhere on the island.  The others blow up the raft with a grenade, kidnap Walt (because he's special), and Michael and the two other guys you dont need to know about now are left out in the middle of the ocean.

In the morning, despite the fact that wind had been favorable to them, and they had been sailing away from the island, Michael and one of the other guys who are dangling onto a piece of the raft are being carried by the current back to the island.  I'll skip a few bits. 

Michael goes crazy and goes after Walt, to the other side of the island where the Others live.  They manipulate him into murdering two fellow survivors, and rescuing Ben Linus who they had been keeping prisoner in the Swan.  At the end of season two, the Swan implodes due to Locke losing faith in the hatch and the Dharma Initiative (he found another hatch, which claimed the Swan was a psychological experiment designed to test the people stationed there).  Ok, so Bens rescued, and Michael gets Walt back.  The Others give him the boat they had used earlier, and they say that Michael and Walt will find salvation if they follow the same bearing Sayid, Frank Lapidus, and Desmond are currently flying on in the chopper (currently = now in the show).

Okay, and thats not all.  Desmond was the guy they found in the Swan and he was going fucking nuts.  So he runs off, and finds his old sailboat he had been on when he was first stranded on the island.  (the other person in the Swan lied to him about it being destroyed, and was planning to leave him behind).  So Desmond runs off and sails away... only to come back to the island at the end of the season. 

Its clear now to everyone that there is no way of leaving the island, and, they have only been there for three months in the shows timeline.  Its December 2004.  Building the raft, which was hard enough for Michael, who was an engineer, took 1.5 months, at least it was 1.5 months after the crash when the raft took off.

To anyone who honestly read that, wow.  You can tell I have no life and am fucking obssessed with this show.  I'll put it simple for people who don't know whats going on : Leaving the island has proven to be almost impossible, and they were focsed on the Others, who they thought were trying to kill them and would eat their brains out. 

Rescue doesn't mean the end of the story, and season 4 proves that.  Now the survivors are split between people who want to stay, because they had fucked up lives to begin with and were "reborn" after the crash, and now have meaningful lives.  Those who want to leave had always had more important things to do than building a raft, although, now that rescue is within perfect reach, they are the ones wanting to leave.

And the reason no one can physically leave the island/area surrounding it is because the island exists in some kind of time bubble.... that is why the Swan was so important.  Dharma must have made it so they could keep the island for themselves, but now that its gone... the island is exposed to the outside world.

/end thread, forever.  Go watch the damn show if any of what I wrote sounds remotely interesting, you won't regret it.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
and to the OP... Hurricane dude, that is an extrmely simplistic way of viewing the show   Have you seen any of it?  I know you're a fan of 24 and all, but go rent Lost season one, watch it, and you can get back to me as to why it sucks.  Or maybe you'll like it, which is what I think will happen.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6338|Oregon
Spearhead just owned the thread.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
To anyone wondering why the island is special.... check this clip out.  It will help explain why just building a raft and leaving isn't as simple as it sounds.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-02-24 00:17:24)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

djphetal wrote:

If making that huge ass post convinces just ONE other person to watch the show, and they like it as much as I do, I have done my duty.

Lost is my religion.  I gotta spread the word, and I hate anyone who doesn't like it (or even remotely questions its "perfect" and "best show ever made" status ).  I'm a Lost extremist.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-02-24 00:28:13)

Home
Section.80
+447|6850|Seattle, Washington, USA

Spearhead wrote:

djphetal wrote:

If making that huge ass post convinces just ONE other person to watch the show, and they like it as much as I do, I have done my duty.

Lost is my religion.  I gotta spread the word, and I hate anyone who doesn't like it (or even remotely questions its "perfect" and "best show ever made" status ).  I'm a Lost extremist.
I wouldn't say it was quite perfect. I didn't like Season 3, mostly because it featured the stupid smoke monster so much. I hate that thing. It's so stupid. A killer rain cloud. And it had so much potential too... When you heard the roar and saw what it could do, you were on the edge of your seat. Then they revealed what it was. Dissapointing.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6368|California

Darkhelmet wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

because they to pro duh
...what
they are too pro duh
Can I lol wut my own quote?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6456|The Twilight Zone
There's no rubber to make a rubber boat.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Sorry, I honestly think people who say "It takes them 5 eps to find a coconut" need to get a life and try watching the show.

Yes, its slow watching it week after week and it has admittedly gone off track one or two times.  But guess what?  Lost is best viewed on DVD, watching 3-5 episodes at a time, like a normal movie length.

I fucking hate waiting week after week.  But its ok.  Its like a drug.  Without my fix I go fucking nuts.  And I had to wait 8 months, and then worry my ass off about the strike.  After that shit-tastically long hiatus, I can wait a week and not go crazy.  But its still hard.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-02-24 00:57:12)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Home wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

djphetal wrote:

I wouldn't say it was quite perfect. I didn't like Season 3, mostly because it featured the stupid smoke monster so much. I hate that thing. It's so stupid. A killer rain cloud. And it had so much potential too... When you heard the roar and saw what it could do, you were on the edge of your seat. Then they revealed what it was. Dissapointing.
well, lol.  Not to be a Lost nerd here or anything.  But season 3 we only saw the monster once.  We saw it more in other seasons, although we didnt really "see" it.

By the way, the smoke monster, "smokey" as obssessed fans call him, is not all he seems to be.

We have seen it more than we think we have.  According to the creators.  This leads me to believe it's the thing creating visions of dead people -- it animates their bodies and shit.  Also, when Eko goes up to it in season 2, and stares it down face to face -- inside the smoke we see flashes showing Eko as a kid and his mom.  Which is pretty strong proof that the monster reads your mind and then takes the shape of a loved one you lost.  Then it makes you do shit.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-02-24 01:01:21)

Home
Section.80
+447|6850|Seattle, Washington, USA

Spearhead wrote:

Home wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

well, lol.  Not to be a Lost nerd here or anything.  But season 3 we only saw the monster once.  We saw it more in other seasons, although we didnt really "see" it.

By the way, the smoke monster, "smokey" as obssessed fans call him, is not all he seems to be.

We have seen it more than we think we have.  According to the creators.  This leads me to believe it's the thing creating visions of dead people -- it animates their bodies and shit.  Also, when Eko goes up to it in season 2, and stares it down face to face -- inside the smoke we see flashes showing Eko as a kid and his mom.  Which is pretty strong proof that the monster reads your mind and then takes the shape of a loved one you lost.  Then it makes you do shit.
Oh, well maybe it's season 2 I'm talking about then. Whichever season it kills Eko in. And yeah, I've always thought it did that because it made Eko's brother and then killed him. I just find it cheesy that it can even kill people, and all it is is a little smoke cloud. It's the one single thing that bugs me about the show.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Aside from what I said above, the monster must be some kind of... thing that deals with peoples emotions.  It could be made of everyones fears and memories of their lives pre-island.  The monster has been known to judge people.  I think Jacob/the island/smokey judge whether people are worthy to live on the island and help change their life.

Eko was judged and killed by it because when the time came, although he had become a good man, he did not admit what he had done was wrong.  He said, to Yemi, his dead brother, that he had done the best with the life god gave him.  Yemis got pissed at Eko for not confessing his sins, and guess what?  I mean I know you probably remember this but just after Yemi disappears the smoke monster appears out of nowhere and kills Eko.

I dont know what it is, but whatever it is, it is of utmost importance to the islands mysteries and all mythology on Lost.  Some people have suggested the because it makes sounds that almost sound like dinosaurs, it is a living figment of life, and has been on the island since there were dinosaurs around.  It imitates their roar to scare the shit out of everyone.

And yes, I agree watching it unfold on screen is a little more cheesy than I'd like it to be.  Personally, I think its because of the bad CGI.  (Meaning.. maybe if they made it look like a badass cloud of smoke and ripping peoples flesh off like it did to the pilot it'd be not as dumb)

And on second thought, you were right I think it was season 3.  my bad.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-02-24 01:24:21)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Or it could be made of the souls of everone whos died on the island. 

That would explain the whispers.  People mess around with the audio, and the whispers are actually saying coherent stuff.  Like right after Boone died, Shannon here's the whispers, and one of them says "Hey thats my sister"
geNius
..!.,
+144|6444|SoCal

Canadianloser wrote:

they did build a boat.
they did get on it and attempt to leave
they would go straight out, away from the island, but then the island would show up right where they are headed.  The island isn't just an island.  It's mysterious and no laws or theories of the real-world necessarily comply with the island.
The show is even more ridiculous than I had previously thought.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

geNius wrote:

Canadianloser wrote:

they did build a boat.
they did get on it and attempt to leave
they would go straight out, away from the island, but then the island would show up right where they are headed.  The island isn't just an island.  It's mysterious and no laws or theories of the real-world necessarily comply with the island.
The show is even more ridiculous than I had previously thought.
I'm glad you think so, gtfo troll
psH
Banned
+217|6386|Sydney
the island has a magnetic pull which fucks up compasses, and there was a radio blocker which blocked all transmits  to-and-from the island.

the have tried it, it didn't work

/endthread
[email protected]
+28|6227
lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard