Poll

Would you support an independent California?

Yes32%32% - 51
No67%67% - 104
Total: 155
FallenMorgan
+53|5907|Glendale, CA
I'm a member of a movement that calls for secession of California from the United States of America.  Our ideas involve non-violent means, such as those that took place during the Orange Revolution in Ukraine or the Velvet Revolution which brought democracy to Czechoslovakia.  Our reasons are very wide, ranging from the fact that America's economy is going down the tubes, to the fact that popular sovereignty is a guaranteed right in the constitution, or at least until the American Civil War, at least.

California pays the most taxes out of any state to a Federal Government that has been corrupted for eight years, and threatens to be corrupted by another eight.  California is more liberal than most of the other states, except for those on the East coast.  It's very irritating that our lives are influenced highly by something going on a thousand miles away, especially if McCain or one of the other Republicans win and bring in a right-winged age of annoyance once again.

It's a fact that George W. Bush was not popularly elected.  The US population of over 300 Million prevents anything other than the electoral college system, which is honestly rather unfair.  California has a population of around 36,457,549, and in my opinion there would be less risks with a popular vote based election system.  The website I subscribe to is Californians for Independents, but I plan on perhaps one day founding my own organization, who's name I have not decided on, but something like Californian Social Capitalist Party (read my blog).

I noticed that secession is great for everybody except the nation that's losing a chunk of territory.  For example, Kosovo is recognized by several countries except Serbia and Russia.  Rarely does a nation split away from another on good terms.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6440|Chicago, IL
Federal Mandate > State Law.

Thats how its been since 1865, and that's how it will remain.  You cannot break up the union just because you don't like the personal views of some of our elected officials.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6563|Portland, OR, USA
Quite the sensationalist aren't you.
FallenMorgan
+53|5907|Glendale, CA
The strategy our little organization has is to have a referendum to take out the part of the Californian constitution saying that we can't get out of the Union, and then if it goes well, have some attempt to secede congressionally, but if that dosn't work, have a big general strike like in Ukraine during the Orange Revolution.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6480|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
Wow, you are serious.

You think a independent California government would know how to handle money better than the Federal Gov.?
Our state debt is around 14.5 Billion(US) That was done with out the Federal Governments help.
Smithereener
+138|6309|California
Umm, actually I'm cool with being in the U.S. Call me a sheep or whatever, but I think it'd do more harm than good to leave.

Interesting idea though.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6563|Portland, OR, USA
You really believe that your "little organization" can successfully remove California from the United States?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6440|Chicago, IL

FallenMorgan wrote:

The strategy our little organization has is to have a referendum to take out the part of the Californian constitution saying that we can't get out of the Union, and then if it goes well, have some attempt to secede congressionally, but if that dosn't work, have a big general strike like in Ukraine during the Orange Revolution.
Good luck with that.

Without the support of the other 47 continental states, California will quickly dry up and blow away.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Ok so I voted yes at first because I would support it.... only if it could be done properly, which it can't. It'd be great if we could break off and be independent, but it's not gonna happen. Besides, we need government aid and funding. If we didn't have that, we'd be completely broke because of the immigration problem, and then we'd become part of Mexico anyway if we weren't part of the US.
Reciprocity
+721|6573|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Oregon will stomp out your secess.  we have more and better guns.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6317|New Haven, CT

S.Lythberg wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

Good luck with that.

Without the support of the other 47 continental states, California will quickly dry up and blow away.
I don't think that is true. California is too important to the US to be ignored if it did secede. If it did, and the US magically recognized it, California would stay afloat.

However, precedent dictates any state leaving the Union will be forced back in. The South was thinking the same way your organization is now, and it got them four years of bloodshed.

Reciprocity wrote:

That too.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-02-18 22:50:17)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida
Hell yeah, fuck California. The majority of them are a bunch of unamerican hippy liberals. I hope we have a big earth quake and they break off and float far far away.

But, in all reality, i dont think it would be possible to have the contiguous state of cali to be its own country. Simply because anyone leaving cali would have to basically go through America, which would cause a lot of border traffic.

then all the mexicans can flee there because they get free shit from they're communist government.

that solves a big chunk of liberal problems and get rid of some mexicans. Sweet.

bye cali
15 more years! 15 more years!
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6440|Chicago, IL

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

Good luck with that.

I don't think that is true. California is too important to the US to be ignored if it did secede. If it did, and the US magically recognized it, California would stay afloat.

However, precedent dictates any state leaving the Union will be forced back in. The South was thinking the same way your organization is now, and it got them four years of bloodshed.

Reciprocity wrote:

That too.
no, I meant that quite literally, California draws most of its water from other states.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6317|New Haven, CT

Mitch wrote:

Hell yeah, fuck California. The majority of them are a bunch of unamerican hippy liberals. I hope we have a big earth quake and they break off and float far far away.

But, in all reality, i dont think it would be possible to have the contiguous state of cali to be its own country. Simply because anyone leaving cali would have to basically go through America, which would cause a lot of border traffic.

then all the mexicans can flee there because they get free shit from they're communist government.

that solves a big chunk of liberal problems and get rid of some mexicans. Sweet.

bye cali
We should do the same thing to New York and New Jersey to eliminate organized crime.

Brilliant idea.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida

nukchebi0 wrote:

Mitch wrote:

bye cali
We should do the same thing to New York and New Jersey to eliminate organized crime.

Brilliant idea.
I would be all for it, lemme pack my bags and move to Pennsylvania.

Actually you could remove 99% of crime by just getting rid of NYC and NJ. Believe me most of NY is a cool place. Lotta farmland.

Last edited by Mitch (2008-02-18 22:53:39)

motherdear
+25|6644|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
the only advantage I can see from this is that we get rid of that annoying state that keeps being disrespectful towards our troops, but then again i do not support any state secession so i'll cope.

and yes i'm danish but i live here in the US.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6317|New Haven, CT

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Good luck with that.

Reciprocity wrote:

That too.
no, I meant that quite literally, California draws most of its water from other states.
Oh, yeah.

I forgot that.

They could always try desalinization.

Mitch wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Mitch wrote:

bye cali

Brilliant idea.
I would be all for it, lemme pack my bags and move to Pennsylvania.

Actually you could remove 99% of crime by just getting rid of NYC and NJ. Believe me most of NY is a cool place. Lotta farmland.
I know. The whole point is that California isn't a huge hippy capital over the entire state.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-02-18 22:57:02)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6440|Chicago, IL

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Good luck with that.

That too.
Oh, yeah.

I forgot that.

why bother?

concentrated salt water acts like a hallucinogen, and we know how much Californians love their drugs.
Smithereener
+138|6309|California
Earthquake won't break off entire California. Sorry, but looks like you'll have to put up with us a bit.

CA isn't that bad, what the hell is with the sweeping generalizations?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6317|New Haven, CT

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Oh, yeah.

I forgot that.

why bother?

concentrated salt water acts like a hallucinogen, and we know how much Californians love their drugs.
But isn't that also necessary for survival?

@smith

I tried to make that point with the theory of killing New York and New Jersey to eliminate organize crime.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-02-18 23:03:34)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6440|Chicago, IL

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Oh, yeah.

I forgot that.

why bother?

You can't enjoy drugs if you are dead.

@smith

I tried to make that point with the theory of killing New York and New Jersey to eliminate organize crime.
you don't know that, when was the last time you were dead?

(and don't say BF2 dammit)
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6317|New Haven, CT

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

why bother?

@smith

CoD4.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6440|Chicago, IL

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

@smith

CoD4.
lol, I thought of that as soon as I clicked on the [new posts]
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6317|New Haven, CT

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

CoD4.
lol, I thought of that as soon as I clicked on the [new posts]
It was too easy.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida

nukchebi0 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Oh, yeah.

I forgot that.

why bother?

@smith

Nevermind what i just said i dont wanna be banned.

Last edited by Mitch (2008-02-18 23:07:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard