Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

RDMC wrote:

.Sup wrote:

As far as i know dx 10.1 only corrects some bugs that are present in dx10 and improves performance a bit.
This is true, Dx 10.1 will be a more stable version of DX10 and will bring better performance.
That is not true.

DX10 is perfectly stable. DX10.1 will definitely perform worse than DX10 due to the mandatory AA and filtering. The only real differences are concerning AA and filtering, SM4.1 is almost identical to SM4.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51

Bertster7 wrote:

RDMC wrote:

.Sup wrote:

As far as i know dx 10.1 only corrects some bugs that are present in dx10 and improves performance a bit.
This is true, Dx 10.1 will be a more stable version of DX10 and will bring better performance.
That is not true.

DX10 is perfectly stable. DX10.1 will definitely perform worse than DX10 due to the mandatory AA and filtering. The only real differences are concerning AA and filtering, SM4.1 is almost identical to SM4.
Meh, I recalled reading an article claiming it would increase performance, but I can't find it anymore. Meanwhile, I did come across this: A list of functions and benefits by DX10.1  (Scroll down to the table)

Last edited by RDMC (2008-02-19 10:49:00)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6407|Finland

Bertster7 wrote:

RDMC wrote:

.Sup wrote:

That is not true.

That is correct Bertster7. Dx10.1 is slower than Dx10 due to reasons said above. AA will have huge impact in performance (try Crysis + AA + Dx 10 very high) and none of the current gen cards can handle that well. Crysis makers said they need at least two more completely new generations of gfx cards to be able to handle all the Dx10 effects with smooth performance.

And when you think about what is coming soon you notice Dx10.1 is very minor update.

hint: It is Dx11.

edit: I don't usually quote inquirer but..

'4x Multi-Sampling AA will be minimum for 10.1 - although we suspect that there will be many cards that can theoretically tick the box, yet are totally useless at this in practice.'

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2008-02-19 11:19:34)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone
At the SIGGRAPH graphics conference, Microsoft gave a presentation detailing some of the changes coming in DirectX 10.1. Those that are interested can view the presentation slides here. The highlights are as follows:

* DirectX 10.1 is a series of extensions to DirectX 10
    * It's supported by upcoming graphics hardware, but not current DX10 hardware
    * It requires (and will be part of) Vista Service Pack 1

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support. Also, don't worry too much about it requiring SP1 (which isn't out yet). The DX 10.1 SDK only recently was made available, and by the time supporting hardware and DX10.1 are released to end users somewhere in the first half of 2008, SP1 should be readily available.

What are the changes? DX 10.1's goals are to offer the "complete" DX 10, giving developers better control over image quality and making mandatory some of the things that are optional in DX 10. For example, 32-bit floating point filtering is optional in DX10 (16-bit FP filtering is mandatory), but will be mandatory in DX 10.1. Also, in DX 10, the number of multisample anti-aliasing samples is optional—DX 10.1 will make 4x AA mandatory, and require two specific sample patterns. Graphics cards can offer more sample patterns, and developers can query them in their shaders. Graphics cards that are DX 10.1 compliant will have to offer programmable shader output sample masks and multisample AA depth readback. Game developers will be able to index into cube maps and perform bitwise copies from uncompressed textures to block-compressed texture formats.
ADVERTISEMENT

If that's a bunch of gobbledygook to you, don't sweat it. The main takeaway is this: DirectX 10.1 is a straightforward incremental update to DX 10 that forces graphics vendors to adhere to a few more set standards with regards to image quality and a couple other under-the-hood graphics features, mainly to give games more control over image quality.
From what i understand here it gives developers better options when developing games.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard