Benzin
+576|5997
I'm sure that not many of you care or understand the situation ... but this is some pretty big fucking international news.

http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_topstorie … index.html

PRISTINA, Kosovo (CNN) -- Kosovo has formally declared its independence from Serbia and become the world's newest state in a move opposed by Serbia and Russia but backed by many western governments.

Lawmakers in the legislature of the former Serbian province approved the declaration of independence at an extraordinary session Sunday afternoon. It was read out in Albanian, Serbian and English by Prime Minister Hashim Thaci before the approval of state symbols including Kosovo's new national flag and anthem.

Thaci said that Kosovo was an "independent and democratic" state, adding: "From this day onwards, Kosovo is proud, independent and free."

Serbian Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica promptly denounced the move.

"Citizens of Serbia, we have to come together and show the world that we do not acknowledge the creation of a false state on our territory," Kostunica said. "We will do our utmost to bring the province of Kosovo to where it rightfully belongs." He added, "As long as there are Serbian people, Kosovo is Serbian."

CNN's Alessio Vinci, reporting from Kosovo's capital of Pristina, said that thousands of Kosovar Albanians had braved the freezing wind and cold to sing, dance, wave flags in the streets and light firecrackers ahead of the much anticipated vote. Some revelers were even said to be firing guns skyward. "It's been like this for several hours now," he said.

"It's a day they have been waiting for for such a long time that many of them are trying to figure out just how they got to this day."

In Belgrade, Serbia's capital, riot police used flares and tear gas Sunday evening to disperse several hundred people protesting outside the U.S Embassy, said Time magazine's Dejan Anastajevic. Some of the protestors carried Serbian flags, and some threw things at the embassy, Anastajevic reported. Video from the scene also showed some demonstrators throwing things at police.

Video also showed one apparently injured police officer being taken to an ambulance.

President Bush said Sunday that Kosovo's status must be resolved before the Balkans can become stable and that the United States supports the Ahtisaari plan, which calls for a form of supervised independence.

The United Nations Security Council said it would hold an emergency session Sunday to discuss Kosovo's declaration, at Russia's request. Russia has also called for an open Security Council meeting on Monday so that Serbian President Boris Tadic can attend, Russia's ambassador to the U.N., Vitaly Churkin, said. He said that the Council was expecting a briefing from U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday.

Russia -- Serbia's historic ally -- has remained opposed to Kosovo's independence. Russia, which has fought two wars against separatist rebels in its southwestern republic of Chechnya, has said that U.S. and European support for Kosovo's independence could lead to an "uncontrollable crisis" in the Balkans.

The European Union decided Saturday to launch a mission of about 2,000 police and judicial officers to replace the United Nations mission that has been controlling the province since the end of the war with Serbia in 1999.

Kosovo has been under U.N. supervision and patrolled by a NATO-led peacekeeping force since the end of the three-month war, in which NATO warplanes pounded Serbia to roll back a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" of the province's Albanian population under former President Slobodan Milosevic.

The disputed province is dear to the Serbs -- Orthodox Christians who regard it as Serbian territory. But it is equally coveted by Kosovo's ethnic Albanians -- Muslims who have a 90 percent majority. Two years of talks on its final status ended in failure last December.

"Its status must be resolved in order for the Balkans to be stable," Bush told reporters Sunday during a news conference in Tanzania.

U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said the United States was reviewing the situation.

Bush said the Ahtisaari plan -- named for former Finnish President Marti Ahtisaari -- is the best option. The proposal would give Kosovo limited statehood under international supervision.

Bush added that "it's in Serbia's interest to be aligned with Europe and the Serbian people can know that they have a friend in America."

"We are heartened by the fact that the Kosovo government has clearly proclaimed its willingness and its desire to support Serbian rights in Kosovo," Bush said.

Thaci said Thursday he would establish a new government office for minorities and it would protect the rights of minorities after the province declares independence.

Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic has promised his country will refrain from using force against Kosovo after independence, though he has warned that Serbia will take punitive diplomatic, political, and economic measures against the province.

The EU said Saturday that "around 1,900 international police officers, judges, prosecutors and customs officials and approximately 1,100 local staff will be based in headquarters in Pristina or located throughout the judicial and police system in Kosovo."

The EU mission's objective is "to support the Kosovo authorities by monitoring, mentoring and advising on all areas related to the rule of law, in particular in the police, judiciary, customs and correctional services," it said.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
(go edit title, Kosovo not serbs )

edit; and I do not support their independence in any way tbfh.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-02-17 13:04:33)

inane little opines
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
1914.  Alright!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

1914.  Alright!
yay

watch out for ze germans
Benzin
+576|5997
Fuck, I can't edit the title now that people have replied.

Mod, please help?

Can't believe I fucked that up. My Serbian friends here would be mad at me for that.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6737|The Hague, Netherlands

CapnNismo wrote:

Fuck, I can't edit the title now that people have replied.

Mod, please help?

Can't believe I fucked that up. My Serbian friends here would be mad at me for that.
Done
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone
Kosovo's Prime Minister Hashim Thaci is a war criminal.
Edit: where am I? I was in Everything else and now I'm In DST. Whats going on??

Last edited by .Sup (2008-02-17 13:11:41)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...

Mek-Izzle wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

1914.  Alright!
yay

watch out for ze germans
Though not ze germans this time.

Serbia and (most likely russia too) will not recognize the state of Kosovo, meaning they will still march into it wether the Kosovo people like it or not.

This makes way to a huge amount of complications and if not escalations of events. Way to go we worsened our relationship with Russia about tenfold I think.
inane little opines
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
The Russians should gtfo of Chechnya before they cry too loud about interventionalism.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers

ATG wrote:

The Russians should gtfo of Chechnya before they cry too loud about interventionalism.
Putin was already bringing up Cyprus

the kind of, you don't, we don't thing.
ATG
Banned
The Kosovars are Muslims aren't they?

Didn't we save some Muslim ass in Serbia and where's the gratitude?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
it would be interesting to see what happens next.   Isnt the majority of the Kosovo's population albanian?  Like 5 percent actually serb?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...

ATG wrote:

They use that as an argument, that they fight ethnic rebels and deny them of forming a state of their own, that's probably also why they wish Kosovo to remain part of Serbia (They're also the allies of Serbia, so figures even more why they're backing them).

Even so, Kosovo can hardly stand up for itself I mean look at the place. It's riddled with mines, economically I couldn't imagine how it would be able to stand ground, and the only thing we accomplished by pushing for their independence was worsening the relations inbetween us and Russia&co.

Furthermore, this gives ethnic groups a morale boost in order to go and create their own countries, which isn't something we want to happen all over.
inane little opines
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers

ATG wrote:

The Kosovars are Muslims aren't they?

Didn't we save some Muslim ass in Serbia and where's the gratitude?
that "saving" didn't went so well, seeing we Dutch were in charge, the mission failed because of too few soldiers, denied french air support etc.

the Albanians (most people in Kosovo) are actually waving their own and American Flags, the Serbs (minority) in Kosovo are attacking EU/US embassies etc.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
Maybe the Serbs will realise that letting a minority out-populate the natives is a bad thing. They have to cut their losses and accept that they've lost. If they really wanted that place they would've escalated the 1999 conflict. If they weren't prepared to fight for it, well they can't really say anything if it's declaring independance.

That's what I think.

I don't condone the idea of immigrating to a country then declaring it's yours, but there you go. The Serbs allowed it, they tried to take it back by force but lost. That's war for you no?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

it would be interesting to see what happens next.   Isnt the majority of the Kosovo's population albanian?  Like 5 percent actually serb?
Correct, and I don't think the serbs will ever accept the independance of Kosovo, (they already stated they don't, and as I said I think Russia will back them.) This gives way to major complications. Though I have NO idea what will happen next, neither can I make any realistic assumption - so I guess it's wait and see.
inane little opines
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
history has shown us that we are doomed to repeat it.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Maybe the Serbs will realise that letting a minority out-populate the natives is a bad thing. They have to cut their losses and accept that they've lost. If they really wanted that place they would've escalated the 1999 conflict. If they weren't prepared to fight for it, well they can't really say anything if it's declaring independance.

That's what I think.

I don't condone the idea of immigrating to a country then declaring it's yours, but there you go. The Serbs allowed it, they tried to take it back by force but lost. That's war for you no?
Well seeing as Israel did exactly the same thing and got attacked all over by surrounding neighbours, I wonder how this will turn out, surely some people will get furious in the Serbian Parliament.
inane little opines
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6622|EU

I cant believe that EU commisionaires are that stupid to allow and support it. God damn it, if they dont know where to put the money give it to me! Everyone is yelling how Islam is expanding in Europe but now we have first Muslim state (yea, I know that Turkey is part of Europe but still).
.Sup
be nice

legionair wrote:

I cant believe that EU commisionaires are that stupid to allow and support it. God damn it, if they dont know where to put the money give it to me! Everyone is yelling how Islam is expanding in Europe but now we have first Muslim state (yea, I know that Turkey is part of Europe but still).
Which EU countries supported independence?
ATG
Banned
Politics is serious business.

Just imagine, if you will, all the illegal aliens in California declaring independence and Russia/China approved and supporting it.

I think the Serbians have a legitimate gripe. I think the U.S. gains little by meddling in the Bears back yard.
.Sup
be nice

ATG wrote:

Politics is serious business.

Just imagine, if you will, all the illegal aliens in California declaring independence and Russia/China approved and supporting it.

I think the Serbians have a legitimate gripe. I think the U.S. gains little by meddling in the Bears back yard.
US is all over the word gaining strategic points. I personally would be against them being in my country.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6622|EU

.Sup wrote:

legionair wrote:

for example yours as a leading state
.Sup
be nice

legionair wrote:

.Sup wrote:

legionair wrote:

for example yours as a leading state
Ye i was hoping they wouldn't but there was a lot of pressure from other big countries. We as leading the EU were supposed to recognize Kosovo first. Didn't watch the news so i don't know what happen, it should be in tomorrow's paper. The hell with the democracy here. I'm against recognizing their independence!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Just heard on the news that the US and many EU countries are going to recognize Kosovo tomorrow. This was after the US, UK, and France (maybe others) gave Russia the Heisman on trying to convene an emergency session of the UNSC to stop Kosovo's independence declaration.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard