Sorcerer0513
+18|6540|Outer Space
Upon looking at the threads in the D&ST, I decided to jump on the bandwagon myself:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7248963.stm

LOL, asking to apologise for the cartoons? Don't hear them condemning the plotters that wanted to kill the cartoonists! [/lowing]

BBC wrote:

"If anyone needs to apologise for freedom of speech, human rights, imprisonments, executions and lack of democracy, it is the Iranians."
Simply loving it lol. Can you say owned?

And there's this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7248629.stm

I mean seriously, urging to ban the film? If the dude wants to make an ass out of himself(bigger than he already is, since he's a politician), let him. Who cares what he does, with trying to ban it, more people will see it just to spite them.

BBC wrote:

But the government has so far refused to intervene, saying the issue is one of freedom of expression.
Yep, sounds about right. Those damn appea... oh wait...

Never mind, I'll get me coat...
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
This is the part of Islam we are at war with, intellectually speaking.

I maintain, and have said so from the beginning; the people who believe suicide bombings are an acceptable political statement, their supporters, the teachers in the Madras teaching apocalyptic doomsday as  duty, and the pupils they have taught will all have to be killed before this war is through.

This can be done without spending 100 years in Iraq.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina
QFT on that post, ATG, especially that last sentence.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
you cant kill em all.  You have to change the situations in their society that would allow so many people to be misled by the "wise old scholar"
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6221|Escea

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

you cant kill em all.  You have to change the situations in their society that would allow so many people to be misled by the "wise old scholar"
We need to take out the top guys that we know where they are, like that Sadr guy.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

M.O.A.B wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

We need to take out the top guys that we know where they are, like that Sadr guy.
or you could give the 10,00 pkus members of his mahdi militia something more worthwhile to do than shoot weapons.  Without followers, the worst terrorist can do little damage.   Killing people just makes the ones that survived pissed off.
Sorcerer0513
+18|6540|Outer Space
Hmm, this thread went into a somewhat different direction as I anticipated. There were a couple of things I tried to do with it. First, as a response to threads that Islam is taking over Europe, or that Europe is appeasing extremists. Obviously, that is not the case(mostly anyway...).

Second, to show that extremists are trying to repress freedom of speech. Like I said before, if someone wants to make an ass of themselves, let them. That you are offended is no excuse to go around burning flags and killing(or threatening to kill) people. Funnily enough, if they got their wish, if they did something like this, they'd get imprisoned. If all these extremists want that, they can go somewhere like Saudi Arabia for example, I'm sure it would be more to their liking. And they can leave all the normal Muslims get on with their business, and not cast a bad light on them too with their antics.

Third, what business of Iran is it to tell European countries to ban something, or apologise for something that an individual or individuals did anyway? Danish MP's seem to have rebuked that with style.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

or you could give the 10,00 pkus members of his mahdi militia something more worthwhile to do than shoot weapons.  Without followers, the worst terrorist can do little damage.
That may work with most of them, but I assume that some of them are true extremists, and they'll want to kill people anyway.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Killing people just makes the ones that survived pissed off.
Quite true. Say, did anyone ever try to, like, get them to say bad things about their followers, and getting that on tape? It strikes me that none of these leaders expose themselves to... "unnecessary danger", letting others to do the dying for them. Airing a tape showing them expressing the view that their followers are sheep or something similar may have a detrimental effect on their recruitment numbers, no?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
That may work with most of them, but I assume that some of them are true extremists, and they'll want to kill people anyway.
I think it's pretty obvious most of the so called terrorists are just poor people with no hope. Even GWB said it in an interview like yesterday on the BBC. The point is to go in and restore hope, that's the best way. Lift the economy, give them jobs. Restore hope in the community. It was the first time I thought GWB is making sense. Because he is spot on with that and so is GS.

Aint no man gonna wanna blow himself up if he has a Swimming pool and a PS3 and knows that GTA4 is coming out soon (lol, I know I exaggerated but you get what I mean right)

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-02-16 16:07:21)

Turquoise
O Canada

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

True.  Part of changing their situations involves us leaving their countries so that we become less of a target.

Granted, it makes more sense for us to promote governments in the Middle East that actually help educate their people better and lessen poverty, but so far, we've mostly just aided Islamic governments with an eye for our own economic interests over any interests these people might have.

Case in point, we are currently allied to a very strict monarchical government that treats its women like dogs and inadvertently promotes Wahhabism -- one of the most extremist forms of Islam that exists.  The country I'm talking about is Saudi Arabia.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina
Most people here are right.  Like GS said you can't kill 'em all.  Like Turquoise said you can't be allied with Saudi Arabia, the most extremist Islamic county in the world.  It's a matter of education.  I think most people with a good education wouldn't blow themselves to kill other people.  The problem is when you have a lot of ignorant desperate poor people following the words of a nutjob.  That's a terrible mix if you ask me.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Turquoise wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

True.  Part of changing their situations involves us leaving their countries so that we become less of a target.

Granted, it makes more sense for us to promote governments in the Middle East that actually help educate their people better and lessen poverty, but so far, we've mostly just aided Islamic governments with an eye for our own economic interests over any interests these people might have.

Case in point, we are currently allied to a very strict monarchical government that treats its women like dogs and inadvertently promotes Wahhabism -- one of the most extremist forms of Islam that exists.  The country I'm talking about is Saudi Arabia.
missed my point entirely
Turquoise
O Canada
Elaborate then.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Turquoise wrote:

Elaborate then.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious most of the so called terrorists are just poor people with no hope. Even GWB said it in an interview like yesterday on the BBC. The point is to go in and restore hope, that's the best way. Lift the economy, give them jobs. Restore hope in the community. It was the first time I thought GWB is making sense. Because he is spot on with that and so is GS.

Aint no man gonna wanna blow himself up if he has a Swimming pool and a PS3 and knows that GTA4 is coming out soon (lol, I know I exaggerated but you get what I mean right)
he got it right away, even serge understood.  You just agreed with it and continued on your own tangent.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6450|Cambridge, UK

I agree with Sorcerer0513... there may be lots of talk/demands/etc... but actual appeasement not much at all.

As for the other points:
* yes you cant kill them all
* yes you/we don't want to be in Iraq for 100 years
* but yes we need to keep an eye on the extremists (and not just the Muslim ones....)
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

even serge understood.
What?  I don't understand.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

even serge understood.
read your posts
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

even serge understood.
read your posts
What?  Seriously, I don't get it.  Whattttt?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

read your posts
What?  Seriously, I don't get it.  Whattttt?

sergeriver wrote:

Most people here are right.  Like GS said you can't kill 'em all.  Like Turquoise said you can't be allied with Saudi Arabia, the most extremist Islamic county in the world.  It's a matter of education.  I think most people with a good education wouldn't blow themselves to kill other people.  The problem is when you have a lot of ignorant desperate poor people following the words of a nutjob.  That's a terrible mix if you ask me.
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/i … rticle.jpg
That's low even for you.  I don't think making fun of special kids is nice.  Whatever.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
if you think calling you a retard is making fun of special kids, I just might agree.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
There's a hilarious thread on some Brit Army forum about using mongs as a weapon of war, inspired by the Iraqi's, it's funny cos theyve been there and fought

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/vie … 88091.html

It ain't for the politically correct, or even anyone with a heart, but it's funny.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

if you think calling you a retard is making fun of special kids, I just might agree.
I feel sorry for you, you are just a troll.  So lame.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I disagree.  You called me a know it all in another thread.  Troll or Know it all?  which one, make up your special mind.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-02-16 17:02:32)

Turquoise
O Canada

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Elaborate then.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

he got it right away, even serge understood.  You just agreed with it and continued on your own tangent.
My "tangent" consisted of how far away we are from actually following that path.  We aren't helping Iraq, we're just postponing its fall into Civil War.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
I maintain, and have said so from the beginning; the people who believe suicide bombings are an acceptable political statement, their supporters, the teachers in the Madras teaching apocalyptic doomsday as  duty, and the pupils they have taught will all have to be killed before this war is through.
Its not much different from using cruise missiles and B52s to make political statements, teaching that the Arabs must be expelled from the ME to ensure the second coming, indoctrinating your troops to believe they must be prepared to lay down their lives so their fellow citizens can drive SUVs and eat so much they can't walk.

Each side just has a different perspective.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I disagree.  You called me a know it all in another thread.  Troll or Know it all?  which one, make up your special mind.
epic lulz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard